skip/hesitation taking off warm - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Post skip/hesitation taking off warm

89 Cougar 3.8 no SC.

157k miles

once warmed up, it hesitates/skips when accelerating from a stop. If I give it part throttle (which in all its 145 hp glory isn't all that often, usually WOT) it can continue for awhile, skipping while accelerating. Once underway, load or no load, I don't get the same feeling, only from a standing start. It is starting to shake a little when started cold or warm, but it is way smoother than most other cars I ride in, it is only noticable because I have driven the thing for the last 100k miles.

Recently the bypass hose got a hole in it, spraying some electrical connectors with antfreeze and causing the CEL to illuminate. Once I found the hose (it was leaking from the hole in the hose from the hoseclamp being pop riveted to it) and replaced it, I also put back on the front end accessories (took off the powersteering pump because I thought it was the waterpump).

After getting the top end of the engine clean from antifreeze/radiator sealer, and replacing the cap and rotor, I changed the fuel filter.

I have owned the car for the last 11 years, and it has never ran like this (except when the head gaskets went). I think it sounds like the fuel pump is on its way out. I don't remember how many miles ago I replaced it because it was noisy, probably 70 or 80k ago. I bought a new fuel filter because I don't think this was happening prior to changing it, but I don't remember. I have gotten three tanks of gas from different stations. I don't know if we have recently changed formulations (different gas for winter and summer, it is in the mid 80s now) and I don't remember this car reacting to the weather and or gas changes before.

Sounds like fuel, right? I found a ton of gunk in the distributor when I replaced cap/rotor, and the plugs have 60 or 70k on them. I want to keep it running because it is my driver when I am working on my 97 Cougar, or my 2000 Grand Marquis. I plan on replacing the sparkplugs too, but this doesn't seem like the problem, I want to fix this before investing any more time keeping it on the road.

Head gaskets 40k or so ago
That is all I can think of other than normal maintenance. Bosch platinum plugs. I haven't done a seafoam treatment on it for 7 or 8 months. When I did that, I got about 2.5 mpg increase, that has started to slip away, but I am using the AC more now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

I changed the spark plugs. I had 70k miles on a set of Bosch Platinums. Half of them were really worn. The ground electrode was worn away, a couple missing about 1/16 of it, others it was just worn to an angle.

The plug wires were also in pretty poor shape. I know I used dielectric grease on the boots, but I guess after 7 years it loses effectiveness I replced them with the Bosch 8 mm ones that Vatozone carries. The ones I took off were 8.6 mm, and all the wire seperators are messed up and the 8 mm wires don't stay in place. I am going to have to get new ones.

200 miles, still has a slight vibration idling in drive, everyone that rides with me can't feel it, but they haven't driven the car for the last 120k miles. Haven't felt it hesitate on partial or full throttle yet, mileage is up to an awsome 15.1 mpg, makes it tough to drive when the one with the 4.6 knocks out 19-20 in same driving conditions.

Too bad now the distance to empty is stuck showing 49 to 42 miles. I love that feature of the car, and always use it, but with a full tank it still shows less than 50 to empty, and you can't leave it on a different display.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in