How much power with the V6 4R70W handle? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to PJ-4.2L
How much power with the V6 4R70W handle?

I'm wondering if I should save my money for a 5 speed swap or if a power adder is in order to stimulate my car-modding desires...

I don't know if my serviced 4R will handle 300+ lb/ft. of torque.

PJ

PJ- 4.2L -
" 'DIY' was not meant for women."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 01:24 AM

what has been done to your current 4r?

RIP Joel Bender and Preston Smith. The world will never be the same without you.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

It was serviced by Ford in '98 for a broken accumulator spring- I think they updated it with '97 spec components. Last year, I swapped the tranny pan for a '97 spec one with the corresponding filter.

Other than that, It's a stock tranny.

PJ

PJ- 4.2L -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 10:16 PM
PostWhore

my ? is, how u pass smog with that motor pj in california?

2007 White Ford Focus SE ZX3 Hatchback (The new driver)
1997 Alpine Green 4.6L Bird (SOLD!)

Mods:
Removed Air silencer, Clear Corners, Silverstar headlights and corner lights, Moroso Bluemax Spiral Core wires, Custom 3" Magnaflow exhaust with 2.5" Y-Pipe, 300-450 HP J-mod Kit by dirtyd0g , Hayden 30k GVWR Trans Cooler, Sport Front Suspension, 03-04 Cobra Rear Shocks, PBR Front Brake Swap, Xcal 2 by Lonnie @ Blueovalchips.com, 22C plugs, 180F T-stat, 02GT MAF/Airbox with K&N Drop in, Griffin Radiator, Cobra Water Pump
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 10:20 PM

I'd say that you dont' want to put too much power through it... I would have the tranny redone with 4.6 innards and then try it... more material.

RIP Joel Bender and Preston Smith. The world will never be the same without you.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 11:16 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Id skip doing the 4.6 innards because you could just as easily buy a rebuild kit with more clutch packs and put those in, and hold more power than the stock 4.6 or SC 4r70w was made to handle. I would also do the J-Mod, it's really easy PJ, and deffinetely preserves the life of the tranny. Quicker shifts means less heat and less clutch slippage, which = less overall wear.

BTW, where the heck have you been?! And what's going to give you 300ft/lbs of tq?

-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

I've been working real hard and live in a place that's not conducive to working on cars. I still love my bird and with Fab Fords 4ever coming up I'm somewhat inspired. I think I am gonna go the supercharging route for simplicity, but first, aesthetics. Paint job, etc.

As to the question of how does one smog a 4.2 in cali? First I ask, are you a cop?

Lol. My car passes the sniffer.

I have a chip so my shifts are a little faster- I haven't ridden in a J-modded car yet, so I don't have an opinion on it. I know what it does technically, but I don't know if I want that-- driving this thing with 4.10s in the rain is already a pain... you know what I mean.

PJ

PJ- 4.2L -
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 03:50 AM
PostWhore

ROFL, no im not a cop, ya a 19 yr old cop.... No, i figure u would pass the sniffer, but a visual they would NAIL you. Its pretty easy to tell that its not the original motor in there.

Mods:
Removed Air silencer, Clear Corners, Silverstar headlights and corner lights, Moroso Bluemax Spiral Core wires, Custom 3" Magnaflow exhaust with 2.5" Y-Pipe, 300-450 HP J-mod Kit by dirtyd0g , Hayden 30k GVWR Trans Cooler, Sport Front Suspension, 03-04 Cobra Rear Shocks, PBR Front Brake Swap, Xcal 2 by Lonnie @ Blueovalchips.com, 22C plugs, 180F T-stat, 02GT MAF/Airbox with K&N Drop in, Griffin Radiator, Cobra Water Pump
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 11:04 AM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ-4.2L
I have a chip so my shifts are a little faster- I haven't ridden in a J-modded car yet, so I don't have an opinion on it. I know what it does technically, but I don't know if I want that-- driving this thing with 4.10s in the rain is already a pain... you know what I mean.

PJ
a chip only raises line pressure and provides nothing for the transmission's well being. You can actually do the JMod and leave the accumulator springs in and it wont be harsh. But if you want your transmission to hold the power, you're going to want to do the JMod.

what supercharger? With that 4.2 intake I think a custom turbo setup is more in order

-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 04:38 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson502
ROFL, no im not a cop, ya a 19 yr old cop.... No, i figure u would pass the sniffer, but a visual they would NAIL you. Its pretty easy to tell that its not the original motor in there.

Especially considering the hole in the hood for the IAC valve.... or did I miss the update pic on that where you put a scoop like Frankencougie's on it?

Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are:
You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 08:55 PM

engine "should" slide, its out of a newer vehical and its the same "base" engine.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 11:59 PM
PostWhore

doesnt matter, the 4.2 came out of a truck. Thats a nono

Mods:
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Guys, I grew up in Brazil. In Brazil, you learn very quickly that there is ALWAYS a way to solve a problem.

If I had EGR, my car could go through the engine swap BS with the referee and it would pass. Do I want EGR? No.

Where there's a will, there's a way. BTW, if I put a V6 intake on there, it looks just like a Stang V6-- same displacement, vacuum lines, etc. All I would "hypothetically" need to do is find a smog guy who doesn't know Fords too well and I'm set.

As far as the power, yeah, I'd do the J-mod if I had somewhere to work on the car, but as it is, there are other things that need attention first. For one-- too many rattles-- including my windshield. I think all that bass rattled its seal loose. Need to get that re-sealed.

I need to get this spoiler and side-skirts painted, and get the car painted (all dings fixed, etc.).

Updated hood pic (pretty old):

PJ- 4.2L -
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 06:28 PM
PostWhore

it depends on the referee PJ, u should read some of Lonnie's old threads about it, the smog issues he had when he lived out here in california.

Mods:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in