Leak - Timing chain cover? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Dim Bulb

Send a message via AIM to Falcon5783 Send a message via MSN to Falcon5783 Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon5783
Leak - Timing chain cover?

I've had a slight coolant leak for probably a couple months now, and I haven't been able to figure out where from. I've only had to add a few cups of water about once every week or two, so it's very slight. I had a shop pressure test the cooling system real fast and said it looks like it's coming from the timing chain cover from behind the water pump. The shop said it'd take 8+ hours and around $650 for them to do the work, including the gaskets & timing chain. Has anyone had any issues like this before? Should I do the timing chain as well? Degree of difficulty in doing the work myself? Worst case scenario if this escalates and are there any signs of said screnarios? I've got about 89k on the engine. TIA for any help!

+1

Elliot
'95 who-the-hell-knows-what in progress
2003 Mustang Cobra radiator, 180* T-stat, Hayden Ultra-cool auxiliary transmission cooler, 13" slotted/cross-drilled front rotors, Dual-Piston PBR calipers Powder Coated Red w/ black logo, 17" 7-spoke Chrome Motegis, JVC Arsenal 5000 HU with touch screen, Kappa 5x7's, Audiobahn 12 pushing 550 rms, FF50 driving lights, FF75 fog lights, xenon 95 air dam, 97 side skirts, rear window tbird decal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 07:28 AM

8+ hours, find a different shop!!!1 I could do it in 3hours tops.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 11:24 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

coolant should not come out of the timing cover, and if a shop actually believe the timing chain cover retains coolant then they are completely retarded. It is very possible, however, that the water pump gasket is leaking, which takes me just a few hours at the most. Even when I broke a bolt off in the cover it took me 2 hours.
-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Dim Bulb

Send a message via AIM to Falcon5783 Send a message via MSN to Falcon5783 Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon5783
I was thinking of doing the work myself, so I wanted to get a feel for it, hopefully more people can post their experiences. I kinda wondered what the guy was smoking when he told me about water leaking where oil is... Anywho, I'm gonna get a second opinion, just need to find the $ to have a more thorough inspection done. The water was pooled up on the passenger side of the timing chain cover, so it could also be the water pump, which would make a LOT more sense. I'll post a pic tomorrow of the area where I saw the coolant pooled up

+1

Elliot
2003 Mustang Cobra radiator, 180* T-stat, Hayden Ultra-cool auxiliary transmission cooler, 13" slotted/cross-drilled front rotors, Dual-Piston PBR calipers Powder Coated Red w/ black logo, 17" 7-spoke Chrome Motegis, JVC Arsenal 5000 HU with touch screen, Kappa 5x7's, Audiobahn 12 pushing 550 rms, FF50 driving lights, FF75 fog lights, xenon 95 air dam, 97 side skirts, rear window tbird decal
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Dim Bulb

Here's the pics I took showing the general area of the leak. I found coolant on the cross bar of the frame, down at the bottom. I kinda traced the leak back up to a little pool in the general area of the red circle in the second pic. I can't remember for SURE if that's where it was

+1

Elliot
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 09:32 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

That is where mine was pooling antifreeze from one of the hoses. I am sure it was the short dogleg looking one, I think it is the bypass hose.

I thought mine was leaking from the waterpump gasket. I Took off the PS pump and bracket, and found the bolts and studs/nuts not really all that tight. I removed them, and replaced them (using antisieze on the one into aluminum, rtv on the one that goes into the passage, and medium thread locker on the nut on the stud). That solved the small leak I had. I put in some Prestone block sealer. It didn't seal it, but it gave the line something to spew out that stuck and didn't puddle on the timing cover/waterpump.

The hose was leaking out of the hole from where the hoseclamp was riveted to the hose. The replacement I got was a more generic trim to fit with molded bends similar to the factory original replacement that was on there. I also replaced the heater hose that goes to the hard line. I replaced it originally with another crimped rubber/metal/rubber hose, but this time cut off the crimps and use hose clamps and only replaced the rubber.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Dim Bulb

Thanks Bangster, I'll keep that in mind and take a look at it. Still gotta get my bird in for a pressure test. I get paid tuesday so hopefully I'll have the $ to locate it

+1

Elliot
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 10:45 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Hi Falcon5783

Check the vent plug - you may not be able to see the leak from underneath the yellow plastic notice thing. I had a small leak there and coolant pooled at the same location as yours. I put some thread sealant on the very top of the vent plug, above the hole in the bolt, and she's good as new.

I take full responsibility for this post. Anything I've written here is an opinion.

1994 Cougar XR7 V6 - Black. New Paint, Alpine HU, Infinity Perfects, Phoenix Gold Amps, Audiobahan Sub, PG 232 EQ
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Dim Bulb

I found water dripping from this thing today... I've no idea what it is, anybody know?

+1

Elliot
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 03:13 AM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

thats your A/C, its supposed to drip.

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in