Air silencer - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Air silencer

I was just going to take out my air silencer and wanted to make sure this was the air silencer...

black thing down the hole?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 03:21 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Battery
Yea you can pull that whole black part out... the silencer is in the middle,
might wanna watch where you have that cone, its gonna suck in hot engine air

"It's all in the reflexes"
LE RIP
Now 96 Mark VIII
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Red face

alright.. one more question... do they make a CAI tube or pipe, that actually goes down in that hole so it only sucks in cold air..and can still mount my K&N filter on it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripass
alright.. one more question... do they make a CAI tube or pipe, that actually goes down in that hole so it only sucks in cold air..and can still mount my K&N filter on it?
Yes, they do, you can find them on ebay all the time as Densechargers. It should fit your application as well since it is only a MAFS forward design. But seriously, just go to Home Depot and buy a little pvc pipe and a 90 degree turn. If you need more help, do a search, it is all over this site
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 08:46 PM

Even without an actuall CAI youll be impressed after you rip it out. Car sounds alot better when you punch it. ( and no more water getting in the intake)
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-30-2005, 09:25 PM
PostWhore

i took out my silencer and put a cone filter on and put a 4" plastic ribbed tube running from that hole in the engine bay down to sit inside the bumber....so as u drive air is thrown up the tube and the filter is RIGHT there...the cone is set up as the FIPK from K&N but i outsmarted them and bought a filter from autozone and made my own bracket works the same. would this plastice tube do me any harm?

most people talk, but few are up for the moment
-where there's money and imagination, there's cool cars
ohhh the Junkyard , one man's trash is another man's treasure

1993 3.8L Tbird----sold
1994 4.6L Tbird----sold
1995 Mark VIII----sold
2004 Mustang GT----sold
2003 Mach 1----current
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-30-2005, 09:33 PM
Administrator

I am surprised no one picked up on ripass's picture...

If you are removing your air silencer, with a cone filter, you will notice NO DIFFERENCE.

The air silencer is meant to quite the air intake system if you are using the stock air box.

RIP Joel Bender and Preston Smith. The world will never be the same without you.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 09:46 AM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

aw crap, you spent the hundred dollars on the FIPK kit.

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 10:49 AM

Quote:
I am surprised no one picked up on ripass's picture...

If you are removing your air silencer, with a cone filter, you will notice NO DIFFERENCE.

The air silencer is meant to quite the air intake system if you are using the stock air box.
True there is no power gain, but the engine sounds alot meaner when you hit the gas.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue LS
True there is no power gain, but the engine sounds alot meaner when you hit the gas.

again, he will notice NO DIFFERENCE in sound or power if he leaves the filter right where it is and removes the silencer.

RIP Joel Bender and Preston Smith. The world will never be the same without you.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 12:35 PM

There is a change in souund, mine was alot louder at WOT after i took it out
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 08:20 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

its true, the open air filter gives a very loud growling sound when it sucks in air. But that doesnt mean it'll add any power if its just sucking in hot air noisily. Put it in the fender, or make an airbox if you want to get anything out of it.
-Thomas

post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 12:23 PM

If you do take it out and put the filter in fender, it's really easy to fabricate something. I made mine out of a random intake tube. Took about an hour total.

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 01:35 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Juice Send a message via MSN to Juice Send a message via Yahoo to Juice
is your MAF sensor plugged into that random intake tube?
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 02:58 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

no, his maf sensor is plugged into that MAF on the end of the intake tube.
-Thomas

post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 09:57 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Juice Send a message via MSN to Juice Send a message via Yahoo to Juice
oh ok I see it now... I'm the noob around here so I'm going to be asking a lot of stupid questions... Thanks though!

Edit: What does converting to a cone filter and putting it down in the fender do?(well I see it is down there to keep from sucking in hot engine air, anything else?) I took the air silencer out but I still have the stock filter... I see most everyone has switched to a cone or something other than stock so I was wondering what it actually did (noob)
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 10:04 PM

It acts like a "ram air"/cold air intake. Thats bout it. If your like me and do alot of gravel road/ no road driving lol, dont bother with putting the cone below the fender, its just gonna get wet and dirty fast.

LOL dont worry bout bein a noob, we all were at some point
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 12:20 AM
PostWhore

lol... what does ram air/cold air intake do compared to stock intake? I'm like, noob noob...
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 08:27 AM

lol np, the idea behind ram air is when the air filter is located in a spot that is in the direct path of the incoming air, so as the speed of the vehicle increases more air is forced through the filter (not the best definition I know). Cold air intakes are located so that colder air from outside the engine bay is drawn in to the engine, ie. from under the fender, outside air is used instead of heated air from the engine bay. Because cooler air is denser, more can be drawn into the engine, givivng a small boost in HP
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 09:02 AM

I put up a cone filter in my bird, and there was another plug that was supposed to go into the intake...It was originally located into the stock air box...where have you guys relocated this because this wasnt connected when I did it and my gas economy went to the crapper?
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 11:06 AM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird96
I put up a cone filter in my bird, and there was another plug that was supposed to go into the intake...It was originally located into the stock air box...where have you guys relocated this because this wasnt connected when I did it and my gas economy went to the crapper?
thats the PCV hose. You should find some way to put it back into the intake tube.

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 01:31 PM

My setup. It is ddropped pretty low, but I get very little rain here in SoCal.

fresh air intake drop
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 02:04 PM

naw its not the PCV hose thats farther up on the intake tubing...this is like a sensor that connects right into the air box near the MAF....whats this for cause Im pretty sure this is directly related to the crappy gas mileage.
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 02:41 PM
Who is John Galt?

Was it down in the box, close to the bottom, before the MAF? From what it sounds like, it could be the Air Temperature sensor?

"Won't work, can't be done"
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 04:22 PM
PostWhore

i have two wires that go to my MAF sensor and only one plugs in... I don't know if that is what he is talking about because if he is I'd like to know what the other one is for...
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird96
That is the Air Temperature Sensor. It should be white with an orange line in the middle (if I remember right). If you bought the K&N FIPK (like I did) it comes with a bracket to stick the sensor on. The sensor just ends up hanging there outside of the filter so it shouldn't make a difference where yours is. If you really want to you can tape it next to the MAF or near the filter.
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 07:03 PM

I can't get my silenser out. I never really cared to try because I have the FIPK, but I just went and look at my car and figured "why not just rip it out?" Well I cant get it out because all of the plastic in the wheel well and under the bumper and preventing it from moving. So I think I'm just going to muscle it out and break a few things in the process.
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 07:49 PM

In my setup I stuck the air temp sensor in a small hole leading inside the fender. The hole is actually the perfect size and shape, almost like it was made for it... In the pic it is right above the aluminum elbow.
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 232slow4me
In my setup I stuck the air temp sensor in a small hole leading inside the fender. The hole is actually the perfect size and shape, almost like it was made for it... In the pic it is right above the aluminum elbow.
I thought that's what that was, good idea, I like that.
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 10:30 PM

would the affect gas mileage...it doesnt seem so but it threw mine way off....like down to around 18 when I was gettign like 21/22

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in