Oh no, not another V8 swap question... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Oh no, not another V8 swap question...

Two questions. Still contemplating what to do with my T-bird...

1. Will the 3.8 accessories such as the AC compressor and power streering pump bolt up on a 5.0 block without having to modify the length or location of AC and power steering lines?

2. Supposing emissions testing was not a problem, and I didn't care about service engine soon lights, could an older carbuerated engine be used in a 95 Tbird with the 4R70W transmission? Would the EEC still function and control the trans without the engine connected to it?

PS --> I know the "right" answer is to just buy a V8 car. But there's no fun in that

1995 LX Electric Red 3.8, K&N intake, Reinhart Chip.

1965 Mustang HP289

I'm selling many 1960's Mustang and Ford parts. Have a rebuildable 289, an FMX trans, complete 67 coupe body with glass - send me PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 02:35 AM
Pedal Faster

Send a message via AIM to Josh_Keady
Well, I'm not sure, but I think the answer to both of those is no.

The second one I'm a little more sure about because I think the EEC requires at least a TPS input to send the correct signals to the transmission. In the case of a 4R70W, it might be easier to get a late-model Mustang 5.0 MPFI setup and piggy-back your ECM on the Mustang inputs to control the trans.

Josh Keady

1994 Super Coupe ('93 5.0L swap), 1990 Tbird 3.8L, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1972 F-100 SportCustom 4x4, 1970 Chevy Custom Camper / 20
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

I suspect the answer to both is no also, but I'm not sure either. I figured someone has probably tried it somewhere.

With respect to the 4R70W trans, I suspect the EEC would need a tach signal from the engine too to control torque converter lockup? I have no clue, though honestly....

Thanks for your input Josh.

1995 LX Electric Red 3.8, K&N intake, Reinhart Chip.

1965 Mustang HP289

I'm selling many 1960's Mustang and Ford parts. Have a rebuildable 289, an FMX trans, complete 67 coupe body with glass - send me PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in