intake polishing ?? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-30-2002, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to 59bisquik
Question intake polishing ??

Soon I will have the engine out for a rebuild...I have read alot of articles on the importance of port matching and polishing the intake components. would a 3.8 benefit from a quick polish on the intake manifolds and intake ports on the head??

94 3.8 Thunderchicken
59 Chevy Biscayne undergoing frame off rodstoration 383/Hilborn Stack EFI
54 Ford Customline Coupe 351/AOD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-30-2002, 11:56 PM

Just polishing alone is worth around 10hp, the 3.8L intakes are poorly cast and benifit greatly from polishing the runners. The Upper to Lower intake ports are pretty well matched from the factory and you shouldn't need to "port match" those, The Lower intake to Head ports are Pretty small on the Intake side and Can be opened up a Bit, the Head side is pretty close to matching the gasket as is.

the Key to porting the intakes is to remove JUST ENOUGH material to polish up the intake runners, NO MORE than that. The Key here is air speed and if you go too big you lose airspeed which hurts LOW END TORQUE. Polishing Helps straigten the Airflow further increasing Airspeed.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to 59bisquik
Talking

Thanks for the info....Since I will have it apart I thought I would try just a couple of mods to maybe help with mileage and HP. I will also be radiusing all oil drain holes along with polishing the lifter valley for better oil flow back, Coating the piston tops with VHT temp coating and massaging a few other partsand cleaning up castings through the block. I thought I might also get a chip too. BUT do I have to run a higher octane to run these chips?? I have heard fordchip and rinehardt are the good ones. How much of an Increase would I see? To much else is out of the question since im in California with the Smog NAZI's.

94 3.8 Thunderchicken
59 Chevy Biscayne undergoing frame off rodstoration 383/Hilborn Stack EFI
54 Ford Customline Coupe 351/AOD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 10:53 AM
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

Send a message via AIM to big mike
hey rancherlee...

i read in another thread that you recommend that we get our stock heads and intakes ported and polished instead of buying performance heads/intakes that are already P&P. how come you said no to buying performance heads/intakes? TIA.

mike

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 08:38 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to rzimmerl
am in process of polishing the uppper. your saying the heads are pretty much gasket matched. because the lower intake i have the ports to the heads are smaller all the way around by about 2-3mm than the gasket. should expect and difference by matching and polishing the lower i hope. also should i send my chip back to get reburned for more fuel.

ryan

1990 SC AOD 1.7L AR....11.75 @118
441 RWHP 435 RWTQ
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 11:57 PM

Porting your Own intakes is easy, just time consuming.
Porting your own heads is NOT recommended, there are ALOT of things that could go wrong (Although quick polish job on the Exhaust ports on the heads won't hurt anything though, and you can do that yourself)

Porting = Removing material to RESHAPE the port/chamber
Polish = Smoothing the surface out to get rid of the "bumpies"

You shouldn't need to get your chip redone if you have a MAF engine, the MAF will "see" more airflow and adjust the fuel to compensate. With JUST P&P intakes.

with ported heads and a cam definately get the chip redone.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 07:12 PM

Well I'm gonna have to resurrect this thread haha. So Rancher you're saying I NEED to get a chip if I wanna run ported heads, roller cam, and ported upper and lower intakes? But if I do just the P&P intakes I shouldn't need a chip? BTW I still want that lower from ya'.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 08:21 PM

you really don't absolutly need a Chip, BUT I gained 12rwhp and 16rwtq from getting my car fordchip tuned after the heads, cam, and intakes thats a good gain from what the stock ECM was getting from the combo. Definatly start saving Pennies for a 3000rpm converter though!
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 09:25 PM

Woah woah hold up on the converter man, I can only spend so much money before I'm broke! LoL All this porty polishy cam-ee stuff costs a decent coin, at least for me. I'll be lucky if I have enough money at the end of the summer to get a chip. It depends on how much of my stuff I can sell before I go to college. Also I guess I can sell my stock intakes and heads after I get the new stuff on... Also if you know of anyone that's musically inclined, I have an Ibanez 5 String Soundgear up for grabs in the for sale lol I need to get rid of this stuff. I found someone that wants my 10" JL too so that's good.

So as for the converter, are you saying that because I'll be making all my power in the higher RPMS? Jeez what kinda times you think I'd pull with all the mods in my sig, including all the "Future" stuff and a 3K stall-verter'?? Jeez I can hardly imagine going from what I'm at now to that... Amazing.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 10:05 PM

put it this way, I'm running 16.4's now, with a 3000rpm converter I would expect 15.6 or better Naturally asperated. Install a smaller exhaust on my car and it would go 15.4-15.3's N/A ................ then there is the Vortech with 10psi
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 10:27 PM

so you figure with P&Ped everything, new cam, rockers, exhaust, pulley, shift kit, K&N, chip, and 3K stall converter I would be running real low 15's?
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 10:47 PM

yep I've got the power/gears to run Mid-low 15's, but the stock converter is REALLY holding me back.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 10:52 PM

How much would a converter run ? I know the PI are like 900 but that is some BANK for one thing in my opinion... even if it does save over half a second on ET's... Damn I can't wait to beat a V8 down one of these days!!
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 12:27 AM
The Parts Guy

Hey rancher, what all did you have done to your car when you ran 16.4's? If you want you can PM me, I'm just wondering.

-Rod

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 02:07 AM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

a 3000 verter can save you .8 seconds in the quarter mile with p&p intakes and heads? That's amazing. Makes sense I guess. Maybe I'll just put up with the smashed door for the entire summer and do what I had originally planned. How much do you think a verter AND a valvebody from lentech would improve the ET with p&p intakes and heads and cam? I'm looking for cheapest way possibly this summer to get into 15's without going vortech or stroker...this summer that is.
-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 08:29 AM

My 16.41 was done with
-RGR Full N/A heads
-home ported intake (done by me)
-RPM 206/215 cam
-underdrive pulley (for sale)
-3.73 gears
-OVER sized exhaust that is costing me ALOT of low end power.

Best 1/4 stock (silencer removed)
[email protected]
-2.39 60ft. (minor wheel spin)

Best with the Mods above
[email protected] best ET
[email protected] Best MPH (Spun BAD on the 1-2 shift)
-2.5 60ft. (SHOWS I'm missing bottom end torque)

My car seems to have No power till I hit 3000rpm, then it goes like a son of a gun.
I can Run door to door with a stock V8 bird from a 20mph roll (about 3000rpm in first) but they get a 2 car jump on me off the line.

Install a 3000 rpm converter and I Instantly have an Extra 30ft-lbs of torque off the line + torque multipication for more distance which means .5 second or BETTER off the 1/4 mile time. Several Stang automatics with similar mods as me have dropped an extra .6-1.0 seconds off there 1/4 mile by going to a 3000rpm converter!!!
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 07:52 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Well sounds like a torque converter is in my near future then
-Thomas

post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 10:10 PM

Go Thomas, it's ur birthday, go ME... It's my birthday... Go US, it's our birthdays!! So the birdies are gettin hooked UP this summer!!!
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 01:10 PM
4th Gear Poster

rancher i hope your gonna have some good rubber once u have the converter on man youll roast those tires and your quartermile times seem slow wiht the mods you have done oh and the intakes can be done by yourself i did mine this includes buying the intak having it cut and welded back together 95$ man really cheap considering most guys charge an arm and a leg to do but i understands why its time consuming but to whomever is doing there intakes be sure to get as much as you can out of the throttle body throat

94 SC with Built 4r70W and 408W
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 02:26 PM

I've got good rubber, 275/40/17 BFG KDWS's on the rear, My supercoupe couldn't even spin those ones off the line. I'm probibly going get Drag radials though or Hoosier quicktimes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 06:47 PM

I hate to just jump in,pardon please.But I was interested in the horsepower increase of intake,upper,lower,then the polished (not full ported) heads,and the increase they each bring to the table.
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 11:46 PM

I'm not going to take a stab at the exact HP of each, but Mikael at www.rpm-mustangs.com told me (this is dyno proven) that a 95 auto. stang went from 130 rwhp to 180 rwhp by adding P&P intakes, a more aggressive cam, and P&P heads... that's all they did. So gives you something to ponder... if you really look hard you can find some good deals on P&P intakes at least... those are relatively easy to come by I've figured out. That is if you don't wanna do the P&P work yourself... which I'm going to be taking a stab at this summer as well. I'm gonna P&P my stock upper when I get my new already P&P upper... I'm going to do some runs down the track with each to see how good my porting skills are... and if they perform very similar I'm gonna sell my old one as P&Ped. So have fun with it. Someone really should write a good article on P&P and put it in the techarticles... I know there is a sticky on V6power.net but we don't have one of our own! I think Rancher would be the PERFECT one to write it... **hint hint... wink wink** Also Rancher you need to get back to me about that lower! I have cash in hand dude.

Last edited by Spike; 05-20-2003 at 11:13 AM.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 01:09 AM

That is a respectable number.I would not be scared to do some port work.A guide would be nice.I have a Dremel and 5 hp air compresser.And helped work on a slant six head.That engine gained power through out power band.
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 11:50 AM

P&P really isn't that hard... but like Rancher says, if you really don't know what you're doing, don't take a stab at the heads... but the upper and lower really aren't that difficult... with a little practice you could do an upper at LEAST. I don't have a dremel, i just have a drill and within a few weeks I may go get the proper stone and sandpaper bits to do some P&P and run through my stock upper and lower after I put my new ones on. I just send Rancher payment for my lower and i sent out the payment for my upper yesterday... I'll be gone from the 22nd to the 27th so I'll have to wait until that next weekend to put them on... ohh quite exciting!
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 02:46 PM

You are just talking about just a basic casting clean up,not hogging out the port,right? A little bowl work and valve job.More or less a lot of blending.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 08:02 PM

Yes, if you can just smooth out as MUCH as possible you will feel the gains... but it doesn't hurt to port a little and remove some material!! Just a little though, then polish the hell out of it and you'll be golden... or... metallic as it were in this case. Make sure you clean out all the shavings first though. If you go to V6power.net you should find a good article on P&P (I think it's a sticky note at the top of one of the main engine forums) and that'll get you started. It's actually pretty easy you just have to take your time and put a lil elbow grease into it and ue set. Have fun!
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 08:00 AM

Any thoughts on back cutting valves to aid in airflow.Is there a problem with bigger valves.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 11:06 AM

I would answer but I really don't know anything about it... I would however charge Rancher or some other knowledgeable soul to answer!
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 05:02 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

What do you all think would be the best size pipes for the agressive cam, extremely nice heads from blksc who'll be making them shortly, p&p upper/lower intakes, and a 60mm throttle body? I was thinking 2.25" true dual with 2 glass packs and an h-pipe. But I'm thinking maybe 2.5" now. I don't think I'll be going stroked or blown for a couple years so I'm looking for something that works well now. So whadda ya think 2.25 or 2.5?
-Thomas

post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 05:48 PM

Thomas,have you seen the off manifold down pipes,with or without cats at supercoupeproformance.com as you know that you can only flow as well as your greatest resriction.Wonder about 96-97 manifolds.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in