Clutch Fan vs Electric Fan - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 04:30 AM Thread Starter

Clutch Fan vs Electric Fan

My clutch fan just went out. The thermal valve went out so it won't kick in when it gets hot. I read that a clutch fan looses 200 rpm a year and should be replaced every four years.

Is there any reason not to switch to a two speed 3.8L fan?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 10:47 AM
Administrator

no reason I can think of
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 11:30 AM
4th Gear Poster

Back when I had my 3.8 bird the clutch fan went out. I replaced it with the "Black Magic" Flexalite electric fan. Wow what a difference in fuel mileage and acceleration. I used the model for the 5.0L Mustang "Black Magic". It was a perfect fit. The electric fan reduces the drag and HP loss it takes to turn the mechanical which is how you gain fuel economy and power.

Mechanical fans are still the old stand by and work well, most auto companies are going to electric fans due to confined spaces better fuel economy #s and listing higher power ratings.

Steve 4.6L

1996 Thunderbird 4.6L
Vortech S/C at 9psi boost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 02:22 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Stevinator
yeah, go with the electric all the way, you'll thank yourself. the only catch 22 is if you want to mount a trans cooler or oil cooler on your radiator. you may not be able to. on my car i mounted a oil cooler and just barely was able to make it fit. this would be something to keep in mind if you are doing a J-mod on your trans. you'll have to mount that trans cooler somewhere :-)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

I need to use my car so I set it up in a temp config and it worked great even while being on the low speed. I'm going to break out the relays and do it right today.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 10:39 PM
3rd Gear Poster

I'm very interested in this. What mods are needed to convert a clutch fan cooling system to electric?
Perch
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 02:50 AM

What are you guys using to turn the fan on (other than a switch)? I had thought about an electric fan, but I hadn't found an auto control setup I like. They were all mounted in front of the thermostat, but it seems to me in the thermostat sticks closed, there could be problems. Dunno :P
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn12sc35th
What are you guys using to turn the fan on (other than a switch)? I had thought about an electric fan, but I hadn't found an auto control setup I like. They were all mounted in front of the thermostat, but it seems to me in the thermostat sticks closed, there could be problems. Dunno :P
I've never been a fan of havng to use a switch in the car to turn on a cooling fan and it looks cheezy so a termostatic switch was the only way. Anything with this much juice going through it need atleast one relay. By the way, your the thermostatic switch is different than a thermostat. It is a temp sensor that closes an electrical connection at a certain temp (use to turn on a relay running the cooling fan), a themostat allows coolant flow above a certain temp. If the thermostat stuck closed it would be the same if you have an electric or mechanical fan, the engine would be isolated from the engine coolant and no amount of airflow over the engine would cool it. Most people have the temp switch in the radiator but mine is on a cooling hose toward the back of the engine.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 06:12 PM

I dunno why I didn't think about that. Was my dad saying it might be a bad idea. The N/A bird is getting an electric as soon as I can
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

I don't think you understand how this works. If your thermostat sticks closed the coolant bypasses the radiator, thats its job. The fan and radiator would have no cooling effect on the engine. This is how most japanese and european cars' cooling fans work.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 10:59 PM
3rd Gear Poster

A switch? You're kidding. A thermostatic switch sounds more appealing. Is there a more elegant solution?
Perch
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

You can't really do any better than a thermostatic switch.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 01:33 AM

I get exactly what you're talking about. If the thermostat is stuck closed, you're not getting the coolant in the radiator to the engine, so it wouldn't matter how cold it gets.... you're still going to get hot if the fan is or isnt running.

My dad was the one who told me it could be bad if the thermostat stuck closed and I really didn't think too hard on it (he's a mechanic.... but usually diesel, so he's been known to be off when it comes to newer cars).

And I wasn't sure if people actually used a switch for their fans (I'm sure some might) but I'd rather not. In fact I had a setup like what you're talking about at one point, I'll have to see if I can't find it. I don't recall actually installing it.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 02:33 AM Thread Starter

Sorry about that, I didn't mean to be condisending. I guess I misenterpreted your post.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 03:14 AM

Not a problem, I know how that can get
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 11:39 AM
PCD
Confirmed V6 Nut

My 97 came with an electric fan. An idea might be to take a look in a Haynes manual or a Chilton's to see what is different and upgrade with Ford OEM parts.

Maybe, pm jk89cat or Thomas and see what they say.

The Parts Bin Special is DEAD! It is being parted out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in