Do I need to have my heads machined? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Do I need to have my heads machined?

I'm in the middle of replacing the head gaskets on my 92 and need to know if must have them machined or if I can get by with out doing so.
I have got to get my car going by Saturday so I have time to test drive it and make sure it will be OK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 01:42 AM

If you didn't run it long after realizing you had a blown headgasket, you'll most likely be ok. I didnt end up machining mine, just cleaned them good with a razor/fine sand paper and they've held for close to 4 years now. Then again I didn't know well enough back then (was going by a shop manual and a little over the phone help from my dad). I think were it to happen again, I'd have them resurfaced. I'd rather spend a little money and be sure I don't have to go back in there. I helped a friend with an older bird, he had a cracked head and we didn't see it.....

Last edited by mn12sc35th; 09-08-2005 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Can't spell worth a damn
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 11:44 AM
PCD
Confirmed V6 Nut

Lola, have the heads checked. If they are bad, you may need your block milled, too. It is much cheaper all the way around to do it right the first time.

The Iowa Super Coupe club lost a member because the shop he took his SC to didn't resurface the heads. Every year or so he had to take the car back for new head gaskets under warranty. Finally he had enough and dumped the car.

The Parts Bin Special is DEAD! It is being parted out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in