Really need engine help, Im lost - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
T/A

Really need engine help, Im lost

Im in need of a little guidance about what to do, sorry this is kinda long.

It started a few weeks ago, my 96 Tbird (176,000)wouldn't start at all for a few minutes and when it did finally start it would barely idle with the gas pedal most of the way down and it blew black smoke real bad. I had to let it sit in town because it wouldn't stay running no matter how much gas I gave it. The next day, it starts fine and I drive it 4 or 5 miles home, it does fine. The next morning, it would hardly run again and was blowing a lot of smoke. I put some gas treatment in the tank and the next day it was fine again so I started off to work, it started missing again and with the pedal all the way down, it would only go 2 to 3 MPH and left a trail of blake smoke behind me. I had to let it sit again. I got it home and checked the codes. They were a P1443 EVAP purge valve/sensor, PO420 System efficiancy below threshold (BANK 1) , and PO172 and PO175- both banks rich.

The PO420 was a previous code, it was on for awhile before this happened. I replaced the drivers rear oxygen sensor and then the front. checked the cat, replaced the fuel filter, replaced the ECT sensor, checked the pressure reulator to see if it was leaking fuel into the engine,checked for vacuum leaks, replaced most of the vacuum lines, fuel pressure is 32 PSI at idle, 38 or 40 reving.

I am at a total loss as what to do and now I can't even get it started at all. Before I could start it but it wouldn't stay running long no matter what I did. Could it have jumped time? I am getting good, consistant spark at the plugs. I reset the codes when I read them, but the SES light has not come back on since. This has been going on for 3 weeks know, and I cant even take it out of my driveway.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Last edited by T/A; 09-10-2005 at 11:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
T/A

We can add EGR checked to the list now. I pulled the egr cause I thought maybe it was stuck open but it work correctly, I cleaned it and reinstalled it.

Any ideas?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 11:12 PM

Try unplugging the computer for a while and let it sit, its a long shot but worked on my old Capri when it started puking black smoke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
T/A

Thanks for the reply Blue LS. I tried that already too, didn't affect it.

Any suddestions, no matter how unlikely they are to help would be greatly appreciated. At this point, I'll try anything
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
T/A

Thats what I will do tomorrow morning, I'll pull the plugs tomorrow and see if I can isolate the problem to 1 or a few cylinders. I wonder about this because it says both banks rich, I thought that its highly unlikely that 2 injectors would stick at once.

But I'll definately check it out.

Thanks again
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
T/A

Ok, I pulled all the plugs they were all equally fouled (none wet) so I replaced them and it fired up, but it was still missing real bad and would barely run and had a lot of black smoke.

Could it be the MAP sensor?

I checked it with the KOEO and I got 5.07 volts, my General Auto repair MAnual says 4.6 to 4.8 is right.

Unfortunately I could not get engine up to operating temp to see if I had .9 to 1.6 volts (as per the Auto repair) but I did get a read on it as it was warming up a little. I got 5.13 volts. Does any of this make any sense.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
T/A

This thing dont even have a damn MAP sensor, its an egr add-on of some kind that looks like a map but has 2 vacuum lines.

Forget it, It's gotta be the computer or something. I think I'm gonna part it out. How much can I get for any of it?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
T/A

BTW, thank you everyone that offered advise or suggestions.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 09:13 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Stevinator
well did you ever check your fuel pump? turn the key and put your ear up to your gas cap (with cap off).
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 10:17 PM

you have a MAF...

Check your TPS

RIP Joel Bender and Preston Smith. The world will never be the same without you.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 11:36 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

thats another possible cause, im wondering how good your distributor is. sounds like your not getting enough spark. check your wires too. you can get a cheap wire tester. you basically run it up and down the wires and a light will tell you if there is a weak spot in your wires.

a way to tell if its your injectors (happened to me) is get a long skinny rod or go buy a automotive stethiscope, and put it up to the injector when the car is running. you should hear a timed clicking sound from each one. when you do keep track of the rhythem. if one is off then that could be the problem, or one of your problems. i forgot how much the new injectors i got where (got them from jegs 14lb. is your stock). but once i put them on, the car ran bad ***.

or, or, you just may have little fairies in your flux capaciter. i hate it when that happens.....
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
T/A

Yes, fuel pump turned out fine, and no leaky injectors.

Can anyone tell me how to check the TPS.

Quote:
im wondering how good your distributor is
I dont have a distributor, just a box, Im not sure how to check that.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 01:16 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

take it off. its on the left hand side (closest to the firewall) of the throttle body. it has two screws. take it off and just replace it. i dont know of anyway to see if its broken. it should have some tension to it so when you put the new one on it'll take just a little tension. i think new ones are like 30 bucks.

if you got a 96 bird i think you should have a distributor. unless some wierd **** happened to the ingnition system in the 2 years my car was built
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stevinator
if you got a 96 bird i think you should have a distributor. unless some wierd **** happened to the ingnition system in the 2 years my car was built

the 96-97's have DIS. No Distributor.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 07:00 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

didnt know that. well i have no idea on how to check the dis

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in