Engine Swap-Help/Opinion? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Engine Swap-Help/Opinion?

Alright i have a 95 3.8 only 59k miles. Body is in pretty good shape, as is everything else. Well HG blew and it seized up (i think) so i'm probably going to need a new engine. What do you guys think, get a used 3.8 , which are relatively cheap($100-300), but i'll have the HG's fixed on it. Buy a completely remanufactured engine ($800-1000) , or just buy another cheap thunderbird, take the motor and sell off the extra parts or whatever. Keep in mind i have to pay a friend of a friend, who is a ford technition for the labor, not sure what he is charging, but i have to factor that in. Is it worth a brand new motor? Since its original tranny and all, don't know how long that will last. Any feedback on my situation?, anyone have a decent 3.8 sitting around that they wanna get rid of? thanks for the input
mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 04:19 PM
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

Send a message via AIM to big mike
do a 5.0 swap. they are reliable, and parts are cheap. you can get a complete engine for $300. i have a 3.8 laying around (or will be) but it has a rod knock.

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 04:51 PM

Do you have a link for 5.o swap info?

What all else is needed besides the engine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 05:19 PM

the tranny, drivetrain, motor mounts, exhaust
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 05:50 PM
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

fuel lines, throttle cables, all accessories and lines, all underhood wiring, computer, and halfshafts. i think theres more, do a search. a couple people have done a 3.8 to 5.0 swap. it can add up, but like i said, parts are cheap. i have a few stock 5.0 parts laying around that i will sell cheap. find a shortblock and accessories and some other small things, and ill sell you what i have. i can help you locate parts if you want.

i thought about repairing my 3.8 after the rod knock, but its a weak engine, and the hg's could go again. just something to think about.

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

can i get an opinion on my options, i can't do a 5.0 swap, mainly its too much $ and i'm not doing the work myself, i actually have to pay someone
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 08:34 PM
4th Gear Poster

I would just get a remanufactured engine. With a used one you dont know what problems you will face and you might even end up spending more with a used one. Heck the car is low miles and if you are going to keep it you might as well go this route. The only major probs with this car is the tranny. Some last a long time and some dont. As long as you keep the tranny clean and change the filter regulary you shouldnt have any problems. I have seen a lot of these trannies go out because of lack of maintenance. I new someone with a 94 with the 4.6 that beat the car up so much. It was 110 k before the tranny went. So this is my opinion.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 07:24 AM
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike884_2
can i get an opinion on my options, i can't do a 5.0 swap, mainly its too much $ and i'm not doing the work myself, i actually have to pay someone
well, if one of your options is to buy a reman. engine, it will cost about the same to do a 5.0 swap. get some of the ohio guys to help you. theres a ton of them there. pay them with cold ones or something. dont let a shop do what a couple gearhead buddies can do. if you want, i can try to compile a shopping list for you with prices of almost everything you will need.

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 11:08 AM
Resident redneck

Send a message via AIM to redneckcougarguy Send a message via MSN to redneckcougarguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike884_2
Alright i have a 95 3.8 only 59k miles. Body is in pretty good shape, as is everything else. Well HG blew and it seized up (i think) so i'm probably going to need a new engine. What do you guys think, get a used 3.8 , which are relatively cheap($100-300), but i'll have the HG's fixed on it. Buy a completely remanufactured engine ($800-1000) , or just buy another cheap thunderbird, take the motor and sell off the extra parts or whatever. Keep in mind i have to pay a friend of a friend, who is a ford technition for the labor, not sure what he is charging, but i have to factor that in. Is it worth a brand new motor? Since its original tranny and all, don't know how long that will last. Any feedback on my situation?, anyone have a decent 3.8 sitting around that they wanna get rid of? thanks for the input
mike
you can have mine when i do the engine swap i want to do

-Steven

Project Rust Prevention: 1990 Buick Regal, Toilet Capacity engine, new trim paint, 57K miles
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 01:02 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Stevinator
yeah, do a block swap. you can get a great block with all internals from napa. all you gotta do is bolt it on and put your accessories back on it. you can reuse the intakes and other stuff....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in