cooling problem - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Gcline
cooling problem

I think there could be something wrong with my engine. Last night i cleaned my engine, well it wouldnt start back up afterwards, after a couple of long tries, it did, and i noticed the temperature guage was jumping all around. Iwell, I got it home, and opened up the raditator cap. The coolant was bubbiling up alot, like foam. Well, I let that drain out, then i filled what was lost (about 2 quarts) with plain water. The temperature stayed more normal today, but should i go and flush the fluid, or could this be a more serious problem?

1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 Sport 4.6L
P.I. Intake, Mustang T/B and Upper Plenum,B&M Heavy Duty Trans Cooler, Trans Temp Gauge, A/F Ratio Gauge, K&N Cone Filter, Air Silencer Delete, 50% Front 20% Rear Tint, A&A Fiberglass GFX Kit, Xenon Front Clip, Magnaflow High Flow Cats

2001 Nissan Altima GXE Limited Edition

Daily Driver, 38mpg!

Quote:
at least Ford can pay their bills and not go on welfare like GM and Chrysler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 08:33 PM

there might be... clean the radiator, put a new tstat in it, flush it and refill it as per the procedures stickied in this forum.

Keep an eye on the temp guage and at the first sign of overheating, SHUT IT DOWN. Dont risk cracked/warped heads on a blown headgasket

RIP Joel Bender and Preston Smith. The world will never be the same without you.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 09:00 PM

Check your belts and ensure no slippage and correct tension to spin the waterpump! My mx-3 belts were so loose that I could spin them by hand with car off. This kept my waterpump from turning and the car was constanly overheating. Make sure your water pump is turning.

Also..

Depending on how you cleaned your car you may have got the distributor, spark plug wires and/ or other electronic devices wet which would /could cause a problem starting.

I have a Mx-3 that always runs really rough after washing the car even if I don't open my hood. It also runs bad in the rain. I should probably find a boot to cover the distributor but I'm too damn lazy.

As for the cooling problem make sure you look at your radiator closely. Look at it and ensure that you can see all the way through to the other side. A flash light shining from back/front may help. Look for any debris (paper, dirt, grass, etc) that may be sticking to it. I have seen cars with clogged radiators that would run hotter than normal. Damaged fins on the radiator would also cause the car to run hot.

Ensure that the fluid is flowing good (check belts and water pump), top it off after starting for a few minutes, let it cool down, fill her up again purging the air out of the system when ever filling. Fill the resevoir to a the cold line. Drive it around for a couple days and if it gets low then you have problems as either a leak in system or bad head gasket.

Find possible leaks in system by checking your radiator cap, checking water pump for leaks, renting a pressure check kit at autozone and making sure that the system holds pressure, check all radiator hoses by gently pulling on them while under pressure...don't get BURNED. Run car in place for a while (an hour or so?) and place card board underneath (make sure AC is off) to look for drips.

Do a compression test for head gasket, chemically test coolant / oil to see if they are mixing with exhaust gases (parts store may help), visually check coolant / oil to see if the two are mixing. Also, determing if the coolant system gets pressurized too fast before the water heats up is a possible sign. Start car and keep checking hose by squeezing them. If they get hard fast then you are leaking pressure from engine into coolant system.

A good cooling system flush never hurts and all it costs is 14 bucks in new antifreeze (if you already have the flushing kit 9.99). Stay away from bars leak though. I've heard some bad stories about that ****. If you have a leak then find it and fix it.

Hope that helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 09:06 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Stevinator
dude, cincy good advice. hahaha
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Gcline
weird thing happened. My fuel pump went out, so i had it replaced today, and it drives so much better, no overheating, no anything. Could probably use new plugs and wires, but other than that, its pretty nice now.

1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 Sport 4.6L
P.I. Intake, Mustang T/B and Upper Plenum,B&M Heavy Duty Trans Cooler, Trans Temp Gauge, A/F Ratio Gauge, K&N Cone Filter, Air Silencer Delete, 50% Front 20% Rear Tint, A&A Fiberglass GFX Kit, Xenon Front Clip, Magnaflow High Flow Cats

2001 Nissan Altima GXE Limited Edition

Daily Driver, 38mpg!

Quote:
at least Ford can pay their bills and not go on welfare like GM and Chrysler.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in