removing driveshaft - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

removing driveshaft

Is there a how to on removing the drive shaft? I've done a search but can't find any info. I have a busted joint in the front that needs replaced. Do I have to remove the driveshaft for this or is there another way?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 10:46 PM
The Parts Guy

You don't have to remove the driveshaft to replace the front U-joint, but if you've never replaced a U-joint before, it would probably make things go smoother.

There are a few ways to get the driveshaft out. If you already have the engine/trans out (which I thought I saw that you did in another thread), you can just unbolt the driveshaft from the diff and pull it straight out the front. Otherwise, you could remove the fuel tank and disconnect it from the diff to drop it out the bottom. And lastly, I've heard numerous accounts of people removing the diff and lowering the fuel tank slightly to pull the driveshaft out the back.

Hope that helps.

-Rod

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 11:40 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Stevinator
yeah, what he said. but also you may want to get it rebalanced. i did a 8.8 swap a week ago and mine is in desperate need of one. but the ladies do enjoy the slight vibration ;-) sounds like you got a lot of work ahead of you cincyt-bird
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 09:10 PM

The shop manual actually says to remove the bolts holding the rear end in place (one on each side of the flange and 2 on the back case), turn it downward and slip the driveshaft over the top of it. Unless you have an impact wrench that could be tricky (the ones on my were on there real good.... WD-40 and a nice long cheater bar with someone beside the car on it and we broke the rachet :P).

Dropping the tank was a little easier, but not much.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 07:44 PM
Pedal Faster

Send a message via AIM to Josh_Keady
I did it with the shaft in the car. It was a PITA, but I think it would have been moreso for me if I had dropped the tank or differential. Just visit the gym for a week or so and build up your forearm stamina.

Actually, while you're down there, might as well do the rear joint at the same time. It's a piece of cake, especially compared to the front one...

Josh Keady

1994 Super Coupe ('93 5.0L swap), 1990 Tbird 3.8L, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1972 F-100 SportCustom 4x4, 1970 Chevy Custom Camper / 20
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

did you use a vice or a clamp while under rgw car? I have a descent size clamps but no vice. A good size breaker bar should get it dont while under the car.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 10:37 PM
Pedal Faster

Send a message via AIM to Josh_Keady
I bought a brand new Craftsman c-clamp for the job because I destroyed two old clamps in trying. Heh heh, I forgot about that. That's my u-joint changin' clamp now

Josh Keady

1994 Super Coupe ('93 5.0L swap), 1990 Tbird 3.8L, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1972 F-100 SportCustom 4x4, 1970 Chevy Custom Camper / 20

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in