3.8 surging - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Question 3.8 surging

Hey everyone! My 95 3.8 lx t-bird which i just bought last week seems to be having a slight issue of surging between 30 mph and 50 mph. I have also noticed that it only happens when the rpm is below 1500. I have changed the plugs, wire, air, pcv, cap, and rotor. Also, put a fuel pressure gauge on it and it is fine and doesn't loose pressure after shutting it off. The only thing that I can think of at this point in time is going to be a injector is dirty. I have a local shop tomorrow morning going to run a BG injector cleaning system through it and see what comes out of it from there. I will post again tomorrow and let you guys know what comes out of it. Any thoughts let me know!!! Thanks!!!

Last edited by polk383; 09-19-2005 at 05:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 09:33 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Stevinator
hmm...those "injector cleaning services" are usually bull****. you can check your injectors by putting a skinny rod or a automotive stethiscope and listen to them. they'll make a clicking sound. and it will be like a rythem. anyways thats one idea. another is a vacum leak. check all your egr vacum lines. also, replace your fuel filter. you'll probably need it anyways
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Thansk for the response The Stevinator. I agree with the idea of those injector cleanings being bull****. I figured what the heck though. So I went a head and had it done. Replaced the fuel filter, cleaned the MAF, and T-Body. Made the car take off smoother but, the issue is still there. O2 sensor is within it's voltage range as well. No codes other than the egr that I set while testing the egr with the vaccum line off of it. What is the possibility of a TPS causing the issue? I have heard that the 3.8 are know to have problems with the TPS and that even the slightest bit of a problem with the TPS and it creates all kinds of choas. Let me know of any thoughts! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 08:05 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

yeah there is a chance it could be the tps sensor. but usually you notice an effect throughout acceleration. it's l ike 30.99 at vatozone part number tps240. sounds like a malfunction by some sort of sensor on your car. another thought is what gear is it surging in? have you checked all your fluid levels like in your tranny? a guess would just be either your fuel system or a tranny problem. i don't think the tranny throws up too many codes when things go wrong (somebody correct me if i'm wrong). but i would just track your system from your gas tank all the way to your injectors. then look over your haynes manuel and check some outside things on your tranny. my guess is still a bad injector. i had to replace my injectors last year and got them from summit racing accell injectors ACC-150-614 (part number), about 200 bucks 14lbers. is what you need.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2005, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

I figure I will get a tps just for the fun of it and see what happens. I surges in every gear. It isn't converter shudder, pump sounds good, no leakage like the older chryslers with the front pump burning out the bushing starting with a light shudder then going from there. Someone else was telling me that the iac is bad in it but that just don't make sense to me considering that just creates a controlled vaccum leak at idle and that is it. What do you guys think with the idea of the iac?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Well new, TPS same issue. New items occuring! Car falls flat on it's face in the rain. Checked coil it is good better than a new one actually! Well, since I am burned out on messing with this car and have spent too much time and money on this thing the dealership I bought it from seen me today and needless to say they are going to figure out what it is free of charge and fix whatever it is free of charge as well. When I find out what it is for sure (instead of playing the guessing game.) I will let you guys know! Thanks for the ideas and the help so far though!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 07:04 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

oh awesome, i didn't know you had gotten it from the dealership. when they tell you post up just for my own info.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

well took it in they replaced a vacuum hose that was cracked and a EGR valve position sensor. They checked numberous things and couldn't find anything yet. They said that the Autolite Platnium plugs usually cause a slight miss. So they put Motorcraft back in it and it still does it. I will be going back over there again this week so I will keep you guys informed.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Ran another fuel injector cleaner through it. Serviced the trans and the issue is almost gone. I have been hard on the car since i got it back I wanted to see if there is something crud in one of the injectors if i could try to get it out. So needless to say I did find out one thing with this car... She will squak second gear So needless to say since I am done messing with the dealership I am just going to see what happens and think about doing the J-Mod to it. Then try to establish what else I want to do to it. After all it is only a 3.8 and I am use to V8....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in