cehcking compression out of car - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

cehcking compression out of car

I was checking an engine that is out of the car using a ratchet to turn the engine over. All the plugs are removed and nothing is hooked up to engine . I was wondering if the compression should be the same as if it was in the car turning over by the starter.

there is no way I am able to turn the engine over as fast as the starter can but it seems that I should get similiar compression readings. Is this true or should there be some difference?

The reason I am asking is cause I was looking at an engine that supposedly had 67k on it. The compression (turning over cylinder about 3 times) was about 30pds for all cylinders except one. One should up as zero. I rechecked it several times but still nothing. Not even a twitch. I am not getting engine but was wondering if the engine was in the car using the starter to turn it over would the compression be the same?

As I understand it the 3.8 should have at least 100 psi per cylinder. Is this the same with the engine out of the car doing it the way i did?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 08:58 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Without a starter turning the motor over, the compression numbers are going to be way down. I would reccomend that you bolt up your trans and starter to the motor and use a battery to turn the starter and check compression that way.

Mike

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 09:00 PM
Administrator

well, keep in mind that when you check the compression on an engine while it's in the car still and hooked up, the engine probably turns 20-30 times before you let off.

So, Get crankin!

RIP Joel Bender and Preston Smith. The world will never be the same without you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

should I be concerned about that dead cylinder though? I figured it would be off, but it came up as zero while the others showed 30.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 09:29 PM
Administrator

yes, I would be... could be a bent valve, cracked head, blown gasket, burned piston, broken piston, bad rings, etc...

RIP Joel Bender and Preston Smith. The world will never be the same without you.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 06:51 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Do a leak down test!

You don't have to turn the engine over for that, and it is a 100 times better test than a compression test.

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

what do I need for a leak down test? All i have is a compresison gauge right now.

I ended up taking the time to bolt my tranny up and use the starter. I got good compression on one side about 150 across on all three cylinders after three revolutions. THe other side sucked. Got 120, 30, 121. Looks like another head gasket or something else. Time to return the engine and start looking for another.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 10:10 PM
Administrator

man, I would just go buy a newer style 3.8... get a 96-98 engine for a bolt in...

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

A 96-98 will work in my car? I thought only 89-95 was a good mate up for my car. I'm not looking for a direct bolt in. I can use my intakes TB and accesories if I had too. Really all I need is a good block, internals, and heads.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in