3rd cat question. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to CamellionCat
3rd cat question.

ok right now i have gutted catalytic converters and im going to get the flowmaster cat-back system, now i dont want to get that resonator b/c i want my exhaust to sound loud. can i remove my 3rd cat and replace with a Y pipe, and also is this going to affect my low end torque, and how much will it affect it????? should i just get the flowmaster resonator and put that in also???????

thanks for the help
Marvin M.

95- Cougar- SOLD (in loving memory)
Mods-17x9 cobra r's,H&R springs,KYB shocks & struts,removed air silencer,9"K&N cone,gutted cats,dual glasspack setup,cooling fan switch, B&M 24,000 tranny cooler.

Back in the game!!!
97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC-opal opalescent with black interior, upgraded with a 98 tranny, 18x9 black saleen speedstars, LMS dual tip mufflers, 5% tints all around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

come on guys give it a try

Marvin M.

Mods-17x9 cobra r's,H&R springs,KYB shocks & struts,removed air silencer,9"K&N cone,gutted cats,dual glasspack setup,cooling fan switch, B&M 24,000 tranny cooler.

Back in the game!!!
97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC-opal opalescent with black interior, upgraded with a 98 tranny, 18x9 black saleen speedstars, LMS dual tip mufflers, 5% tints all around.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 08:47 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
The earlier cars only had 2 cats so I don't know how much torque if any you would actually lose.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 02:55 AM
Cougar Pilot

You my friend have no third cat, although I removed my third cat from my third cat. If you know what I mean.

Your resonator is there to make your exhaust sound normal and not resonate. You can remove it although I'm not sure you want to as it will be very loud and raspy especially with no cats. This normally don't sound good on a 3.8, I had true duals on my '93 V-6 with cats and mufflers and it wasn't bad but the resonating at 70mph could get annoying. I don't know what part of the exhaust the cat-back system will replace though. My suggestion is if you remove it, replace it with a dynomax unit, unless you're running decent mufflers. I don't think you will lose any torque, cause you probably already did when you gutted your cats.

TCCoA, there's no better way.
BlackCat94 - The Revolution.
1994 XR7 - Intake Tube, LMAF, March Underdrive Pulleys, J-Modded '00 Mustang Trans, Marauder T/C,
TruBendz 2.5" SS True Duals, Apten Flip Chip, FRPP 4.10s & Trac Lock, etc.

[email protected] with 3.27 gears
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

yeah thats exactly it.

what i was trying to ask was, if the 3rd cat which is the resonator, kept any pressure at all, but since its just a resonator, i think ill remove the bastard, and yes i lost a bit of low end torque from gutting the cats, i dont think ill loose anymore from removing the 3rd cat. So ill just replace it with a Y pipe.

thanks for the help
Marvin M.

Back in the game!!!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 03:24 PM
Cougar Pilot

You're probably better off with a Y pipe than duals, unless you get boosted the V-6 don't move enough air to warrant it.

TCCoA, there's no better way.
BlackCat94 - The Revolution.
1994 XR7 - Intake Tube, LMAF, March Underdrive Pulleys, J-Modded '00 Mustang Trans, Marauder T/C,
TruBendz 2.5" SS True Duals, Apten Flip Chip, FRPP 4.10s & Trac Lock, etc.

[email protected] with 3.27 gears
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 07:44 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to joew623
chip

I removed the resinator, and muffler and it is faster than a stock 3.8. I was thinking about gutting the cats for louder sound, but everybody said i would lose torque. I called diablow chip, and they said that they can make a chip that will keep your torque the same when gutting the cats. It costs like 100 bucks though....

93 5 Speed SC with 86K miles, Black

2006 Jetta Turbo 5 speed

89 Astro Van ( Like a rock )

1995 Pontiac Firbird Formula 5.7
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

yeah thats why im not worried.

right now i have gutted cats, and when i get my Dennis chip its all going to be good, b/c he can program the chip to delete the cats. But for now my car sounds good, i have lost a bit of low end torque but you can barely notice the difference. My next exhaust setup is to get rid of the resonator and get me the flowmaster cat-back system. I hope is sounds good.

Marvin M.

Back in the game!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in