What happens when a head gasket blows ??????????? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-24-2005, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

What happens when a head gasket blows ???????????

what are the symptoms of a blow headgasket ? the engine is a 3.8 , also how much are they to replace ? thanks i need a answer asap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-24-2005, 10:08 PM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to chris g
well i think the water an oil will mix together and look like chocolate milk or something, as far as replacein the gasket jus take's time , get all the stuff out of the way and pull your valve covers an then, i think take out the head bolts an loosen the rockers and pull out the push rods. then take the heads off one at a time pull the old gasket off ,put the new one on and put it all back together. hope this helps.

COLD AIR INTAKE, MN12 PERFORMANCE FRONT SUSPENSION KIT, SILVER PAINTED AVS WINDOW GUARDS, SILVER PAINTED DASH PANELS, 28% MIRROR TINTED WINDOWS, SUSPENSION TECHNIQUES 2'' DROP, TRUE BENDS CUSTOM 2.5'' TRUE DUAL EXHAUST. 2nd generation SC wheels.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-24-2005, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

i know how to change them , i just dont know how much this speficic gasket costs ? will the car sputter and spit and stall ? if there shot ? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-24-2005, 10:16 PM

are you losing coolant?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-24-2005, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

not sure , ill check i nthe morning , but it starts really REALLY rough and makes weird noises , i think when i got it the rad was bone dry and i ran it for a while , till i relized i should check the coolant , how much do headgaskets cost ?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 04:50 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Blowing any white smoke out the exhaust? How's the temperature, overheating?

Might get more exposure with our 3.8 experts!

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 06:44 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to BogusSVO Send a message via Yahoo to BogusSVO
It depends on HOW it blows,

1st, the most common is into the waterjacket, you will have bubbles in the rad,the enging will miss and if you pull the spark plugs one will be cleaner than the rest, white smoke/steam out the tailpipe, and your oil could look like coffee with cream.

2nd, is the compression blow, what that is, the head gasket failed between 2 joing cyl, and the compression swapps back and forth between the 2. run a compression test to find this one
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

thanks guys , ill check it out
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 02:03 AM
Resident redneck

Send a message via AIM to redneckcougarguy Send a message via MSN to redneckcougarguy
pm chorizon he's an expert!!!

-Steven

Project Rust Prevention: 1990 Buick Regal, Toilet Capacity engine, new trim paint, 57K miles
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 09:03 AM
Resident Line Creator

Send a message via AIM to th3subtl3on3
Been there...

-Brian
1989 Mercury Cougar - Anything but the Ordinary

Fully Built 4.2 Coming Soon, Parts include:
SC Block, 4.2 Crank, Scat H Beam Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Custom Comp Cam, 3/8 Main Stud Girdle, Ported/Polished Split Port Heads and Lower Intake, Windstar Upper, Heavier Springs, 1.73 Roller Rockers, BBK Valve Covers, Kooks long tube headers, Aluminum Radiator.

It May Not Be Pretty When Finished, But It'll Perform Pretty Darn Well.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 09:25 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Yeah, they can go in many ways, and cause many different symptoms. I never got missing oil and coolant, but I got a sparkplug that was clean, and too much pressure in the coolant system which fourced the coolant out the overflow reservoir.

I don't remember the results of the compression test in my case, I think I didn't see a problem until I took out all the plugs, because it was both letting compression into the cooling system, and leaking compression between two cylinders.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 07:43 AM

Ok easiest way to tell, well for one you have a ford 3.8, so yes your head gasket is probably blown, they tend to go in that motor. But the other easy way to tell is, rev the engine, see if you have white smoke. Other than that your gonna have to look at the oil or run an emissions test and see if you have outrageously high HC's. You can also buy PH strips to test the coolant, and it'll tell you whether or not there is fuel in your coolant. But it is a 3.8 ford, so chances are if you have about 100k on it your head gasket is done. On that motor its not that difficult of a job as long as you have some kind of mechanical experience, also get the heads resurfaced, a lot of people don't and the gasket blows again.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 09:10 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Also, keep this in mind. Some of us have replaced the head gaskets and ended up with a knocking engine not too long after. I know I have been there. I did everything that I should have. I even changed the oil and filter 3 times after I replaced the gaskets. I drained the oil that was in it and put in fresh with a new filter. I ran it for a while and did it again then repeated. The oil looked fine after the first time but I didn't want to take any chances. It didn't ever knock that I could hear before the repair, but the damage was already done by the time I got there. Bearings just don't like water.

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 10:59 AM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

first thing you have to do is stop driving it. that's the very first sterp that should always be taken when you suspect a blown ehadgasket, or any other kind of problem you may encounter. Usually driving it will will only make the problem worse. This can be seen with suspension problems, engine problems, transmissions, etc.

So open your radiator and see what the fluid level is like. Look in your reservoir as well, and also look at what color the coolant is. Next would be to take out the oil dipstick and see what the oil looks like, sometime you'll have coolant on the dipstick if the HG is blown. You could also try starting the car and opening the radiator or observing the reservoir. Sometimes when the HG blows it will make bubbles in the cooling system (exhaust gas) and you'll see the gas rising out of the tank too.

If the fire ring (metal ring around each cylinder) is blown then a compression test on all 6 cylinders will reveal it. This is the most common failure. I can go into another cylinder, a coolant passage, or an oil passage, or if you're really lucky, all 3!

A headgasket set from fel-pro is about 100 dollars, plus 30 dollars in head bolts (which NEED to be replaced once removed, because they're torque-to-yield and only hold torque once). If you're novice at engines then it may seem difficult at first. But by taking on the project you will gain plenty of experience with your car and motors in general. A shop could charge you anywhere from 1300-2000 dollars for this job, what would only cost you 300 tops. It involves removing the upper and lower intake manifolds, valve covers, exhaust manifolds, accessory brackets, and of course heads. This would also be a good time to replace the water pump and your coolant hoses.

-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

damn for 1300 bucks i could buy a new engine for it lol , its not the hg , there is no water or coolant in the oil , its running fine , and no white smoke , im tryng to get a parts car for the engine , so i can take it apart and learn the engine , thanks guys
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 10:46 AM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

just to be safe, do a compression check. these symptoms do not always show.

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 11:50 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Stevinator
how much compression should we have on our engines thomas?
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 12:01 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

the main thing is that they're all within 5psi of eachother. If one is lower you will see it.

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 10:53 AM

its strange cause i got 145,000+ on my 3.8 and it still hasnt gone yet and ive been bracing the moment for a while and it still hasnt come
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 01:00 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

dude, better do a preventive one. that would be my advice from what i'm hearing here. this december its going to be apart of my major maint. overhaul. i'm gonna rebuild the suspension and the motor (new seals, clean, probably paint a little too). hopefully it'll be a brand new car by the time im done with it......get rid of those pesky leaks.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 03:21 PM
4th Gear Poster

Dont wait for them to blow if you have 145,000 miles on it!! my 92 LX 3.8 had 95,000 miles on it, and was fixed up nicely.. lets just put it this way, a 3.8 LX na that used to outrun my 93LX 5.0.

anyways, I blew the gasket on the highway and didnt even know it.. I pulled off the freeway, and bam.. I noticed right away. I barely limped it home, and the car sat for over a year before I finally got to it.. My motor was a knockin shortly after the top end rebuild.. I know that letting it sit like I did doesnt help, but I think my knock came more from the fact that it went while on the freeway, going around 100mph. I was riding it real hard..

Everyone tends to do the HG's after they go, but the way you can be sure your bearings dont take a toll is to do them in a preventative fashion.. new water pump, thermostat, hoses, and a timing chain would be perfect items to look into putting on then also...
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 05:12 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

or just buy another thunderbird! they're getting so cheap im gonna just buy another one so i can start taking the one i got now apart to rebuild.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in