IAC not the Problem!!! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

IAC not the Problem!!!

I bought a new IAC....didnt fix the high revving problem.
I took that IAC back in hopes it was bad....new one did no better. Would a vacuum leak cause it to rev to 3 grand at idle? Im at my witts end. Even bought a new MAF. When I disconnect the IAC while the car is running, it keeps running. When I d/c the MAF, check engine comes on and car sputters and even dies. Also I found 1 little wire in the general area of the transmission dipstick. I dont have a digital cam so I cant provide pics but the connector is an "L" shape, small (about the size of a Q-tip shaft). I pulled the TB and cleaned it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 09:55 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Stevinator
hmm we'll it shouldn't be a vacuum leak. typically they will make the car idle at a lower rpm. the lines probably do need replacing from the EGR controller and EGR valve. you can buy some cheap vacum line for like a couple bucks. one way to check is to put soapy water on the manifold and see if bubbles pop up while the engine is on. did it just start doing this out of nowhere? or did you mess with something and not know what you did? try using a allen wrench to adjust the idle on your throttle body (first mark where it is before you move it). i would also suggest go to vato zone and have them reset your computer for you. see if your throwing any cel's and what they are. check your throttle position sensor too (i doubt thats the problem), but might as well rule it out. hope that helps.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 03:40 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stevinator
check your throttle position sensor too (i doubt thats the problem), but might as well rule it out.
I'd look into it.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Replaced the TPS no help...ARGHHHHH!!!!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 07:45 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Stevinator
like i said i didn't think that would be it
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 10:00 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Your problem may be an air leak after the tps. Likely spots are the tb to upper intake gasket or the upper intake to lower intake gasket. Have you removed any of these lately? Also I think that if there is an air leak then you may hear a sucking/hissing sound.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 09:16 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by perch
Your problem may be an air leak after the tps. Likely spots are the tb to upper intake gasket or the upper intake to lower intake gasket. Have you removed any of these lately? Also I think that if there is an air leak then you may hear a sucking/hissing sound.
What he said... One of these gaskets may also have just dried out and cracked if the car has been sitting.

A shop can put it on a smoke machine to locate the leak or there's a more dangerous but less costly diy procedure I've used... someone else may have a better answer.

Take a spray can of flammable liquid - I use starter fluid and CAREFULLY squirt a short burst around the engine bay here and there. Wait a few seconds between bursts. Some guys use a propane torch for this but I don't like that route since it takes longer to dissipate and migrates downward - toward the cats and exhaust.

The idea is that the idle should pick up when you get close to the hole and it sucks the fluid in. The idle increase may be only a little but enough you should be able to hear it. Closer to hole = more fluid drawn in = more idle. Did I say be CAREFUL around any area that could cause the starter fluid to flash ignite?? The exhaust manifold for one. Don't allow the fluid to build up anywhere as a liquid. If you've never squirted lighter fluid into a fire or poured gas on a burning tree stump and lost your eyebrows this may not be the route for you.

Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are:
You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodaa
Don't allow the fluid to build up anywhere as a liquid. If you've never squirted lighter fluid into a fire or poured gas on a burning tree stump and lost your eyebrows this may not be the route for you.
Just think... you don't have to worry about the car reving high anymore!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in