Rough idle errrggg - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Rough idle errrggg

I bought a 94 tbird a little while back. Its a nice car have had to have a few minor things replaced though. Serpentine belt needed new wipers, nothing major at all. I know the Oxygen sensors are bad but I don't have enough money just to replace them.

So anyway onto my question. Normally my car idles around 1,000rpm. But over the past 2 weeks, it sometimes idles at about 500 and is really rough. If I don't Rev it a little bit, or restart(I usually restart), the idle drops to 0 after a minute and the battery light comes on. I'm not the greatest with cars, but any clue on what the problem could be?

I did read something about an IAC on a different post. What does that stand for and what does it do?

In addition if it helps the car has never actually stalled on me, even after like a "rev" situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 04:32 PM
Veteran Poster

Kinda sounds like you MAF (Mass airflow censor) is dirty, do you run a K&N?

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

No not to my knowledge. Do you mean something like this? http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=33-2033

if so no it is whatever was in my car at the time of the buy. Like I said I dont know much about cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 11:19 PM
Veteran Poster

Reason i ask is they come coated with oil. That oil can get on the maf sensor and cause it to run wierd. It could be dirty any way weather it has one or not. Try a little carb cleaner on it at least it will cancel it out. I know the O2's are expensive but if you know they are bad you have to change them to probably go any further.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

They are kind of cheaper than I thought. How many will I need? I did a search on good and came up with this website.

https://www.automedicsupply.com/cata...17d1dfb8c3eb7#

Are they good enough? Thanks you've been lots of help thusfar.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 09:59 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Stevinator
well, you'll need a rachet too. and a bit of luck. you have 2 oxygen sensors on the bottom of your exhaust manifolds (those tubes that go to your exhaust lines), im gonna spell things out since you don't know much (not being a jerk, everyone starts somewhere and questions are good to ask!). you'll have to cut to lines and reattach them according to the oxygen sensors you have. if you have the means i would also reccomend replacing the cataylitc converters (those football shaped things right after the exhaust manifold).

The IAC (or Idle Air Control) supplies the engine with fuel/air when in idle mode. It is on the top of the throttle body (the metal thing the black intake tube connects to). the ERG recycles exhaust back into the combustion cycle in an effort to help the environment which is gay. The TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) is on the side of the throttle body facing the firewall. The MAF (Mass airflow sensor) comes right after the air filter and requires a special hollow torx head to get it out (see tech articles). These are all usual suspects when **** starts acting up.

go to autozone to see what code your engine threw (they do it for free), and buy an owners manual (just buy it, trust me). look in the manual and it'll tell you why your engine threw the code.

another cause could be a vacuum leak. check all those plastic lines by your firewall for cracks.

My advice would be to replace the o2 sensors, change your plugs and wires, clean your MAF, run seafoam through your vacuum line (search posts for more info on this), change your oil for some fully synthetic, and enjoy how nice it runs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in