head gasket on wrong? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

head gasket on wrong?

I was looking at my head gaskets and saw that they both say "front" on them. If I put the blue striped side up then one of them (driv side) would have the "front" writing pointing to back of engine. The pass side would have the coolant holes in back of head while the driver side has them in front.

Is this normal or should I turn one upside down where the gray is pointing up?

It almost seems that I have two for the same side, but I looked at another pack I have still in wrapper and they are same way. Is something wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 09:26 PM

While I have yet to replace mine, since it's just getting broken in at over 165,000 miles, I have built more engines than you have toes. In ALL cases I have experienced, front is for the front. It may end up facing down or up, but if it says front, then put that at the front. Otherwise you will screw up the cooling passages.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 11:42 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to lonerepairman
Just as long as the water jackets are lined up you should be fine. I just replaced mine today and everything was fine just make sure you buy a can of copper spray and use it on the block and gaskets. Otherwise you'll be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerepairman
Just as long as the water jackets are lined up you should be fine. I just replaced mine today and everything was fine just make sure you buy a can of copper spray and use it on the block and gaskets. Otherwise you'll be fine.

When I did the Hg's on my car last fall(the thermostat stuck and it heated up pretty bad) I ran into the same Dialimma as you. I did the above, and its worked fine for the last 20K.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

there are two sets of water jackets on the head. The front and back..

the coolant flows in from the front through the LIM (coming straight from the radiator) and flows through the head exiting out the back of the head into the engine. If the head gasket is placed on backwards it would flow from the LIM out the ports on the front of the head. I know it can cause problems since the head will not be cooled all around.

I am wondering if I could drive the car at all like this. Say about 60 miles. It is getting cold outside and I really need to move this car.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in