got a ques. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

Send a message via AIM to big mike
got a ques.

other than it sounding bad, what are the downsides to cutting off the stock rear muffler? could i lose hp and tq?

mike

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 08:13 PM
Cougar Pilot

you won't lose anything but it might sound fairly crappy

TCCoA, there's no better way.
BlackCat94 - The Revolution.
1994 XR7 - Intake Tube, LMAF, March Underdrive Pulleys, J-Modded '00 Mustang Trans, Marauder T/C,
TruBendz 2.5" SS True Duals, Apten Flip Chip, FRPP 4.10s & Trac Lock, etc.

[email protected] with 3.27 gears
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 09:04 PM

you might lose some torque, you might gain some hp, or both. either way its gonna sound like crap IMHO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 01:43 AM
TCCoA Bachelor Club Pres.

Garage
I have a 92 with a 3.8, and I did it, doesn't sound bad, sounds nicer as a matter of fact! It gives it just a little deeper tone, adn increases the volume jsut a bit, as for torque, I haven't noticed a signifigant loss, and I think it freed up a couple horse, but then again I could be wrong, cause I beat my friends 90 cougar when mine was bone stock, he had a Cone ram air setup, and no muffler, and I took him two outta three, only lost cause the guy linin us up was a M*****-F*****, and stood in front of my bumper, I even let my friend give the countdown for the third race, so I could be wrong about the Tq. and Hp issue.

-Kurt
1995 Mercury Cougar XR7
4.6L Bone Stock.
Undergoing a light refurbish
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

well i went ahead and hacked off my rear muffler and it doesnt sound too bad. i would describe it as deep rice. i had two of my friends listen to it and both said it doesnt sound bad. if i get tired of it, i can get the muffler put back on for about 15 bucks. as for hp and tq, i havent driven around enough to notice any changes.

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 09:20 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

and your not going to. the changes are not big enough to feel on a big heavy car like ours.

deep rice? you should hear my SHO right now (ran over a snowbank and I'm basically running open manifolds right now) at idle it sounds like popcorn only deeper, at about 4K it's very ricey, but by the time 7K comes along, it sounds like an F1 car.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

7K???? is that rpms? (i know i know stupid ques). i dont know much about SHO's but how high does your tach go? just curious.

at idle, my car sounds pretty good, definitely deeper rumble. it has some riceyness to it, but i dont think its too bad. im hopefully getting duals with a flow for christmas, so mike will have a happy holiday.

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 10:08 PM
4th Gear Poster

7,000 RPMs easy baby! Those Yamaha engines scream. I wonder if anyone ever put an SHO engine in an MN-12?

1995 LX Electric Red 3.8, K&N intake, Reinhart Chip.

1965 Mustang HP289

I'm selling many 1960's Mustang and Ford parts. Have a rebuildable 289, an FMX trans, complete 67 coupe body with glass - send me PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 10:29 PM
PostSkank

Send a message via AIM to StupidFly
I hacked my mufflers of my '92 V-8 about 6 months ago. Pretty loud inside the car at first (REALLY got on my nerves after a few days, especially at highway speed). I was about to put some mufflers back on, but my dad suggested trying straight pipes out the back instead of just letting the exhaust dump out under the car where the mufflers used to be (I left it that way on purpose for a few days to see what it sounded like sans mufflers).

so I welded up a pair of extensions that clamped onto what was left and brought it out to the back of the car. Almost completely took care of the interior noise (Still more than stock, but not bad at all). And it sounds kinda nice when I get apply the throttle with any amount of vigor.

deffinetly picked up a bit of power. The SOTP meter ticked a bit.

I'm looking at getting the SCP setup eventually, but for now I'll stay like this

math > pasta

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in