Sc block? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Sc block?

hey guys, i have a question or two. i'd like to start building up a 4.2L engine. I'd like to keep it a single port(dont want to mess w/ IMRC's and such. Heres my questions.

1. Sc block is stronger, so can I use a 4.2L crank in a sc block, and is the 4.2L crank stronger than the Sc's(Is it forged?)

2. Can I use 96/97 NA heads on a supercoupe block? as long as I use the 96/97 upper/lower intake.

3. can I get a set of aftermarket pistons/rods for a a 3.8, and use it with the 4.2L crank(will it bolt up fine?)

I'm going to buy all the parts, and have someone put me a short block together, and I'll put the cam/heads, ect together(I dont feel comfortable with the crank,rods, pistons, etc....I have never done that.

If I go with a strong set of rods/pistons, can I run a 100-125HP shot with upgraded injectors, and pump?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 05:06 PM
PostWhore

1. From what Ive gathered you need to have the crank journals line honed. The middle one is a smaller diameter so NA and SC cranks wouldnt get confused at the factory.

2. Yes.

3. You will need to use 4.2 rods and pistons or 96-97 rods and pistons. Aftermarket rods for those applications will work.

Some supercharged cars blow.......Others just pick up and move.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 03:11 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

There is no need to use a SC block over a 96+, espically on just a stroker, the only difference is the rotating assembly.
http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/P...Comparison.pdf

If what you want is a 4.2 just go to the junkyard and get ya one out of a F150.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowez
There is no need to use a SC block over a 96+, espically on just a stroker, the only difference is the rotating assembly.
http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/P...Comparison.pdf

If what you want is a 4.2 just go to the junkyard and get ya one out of a F150.

I'd like to eventually run a power adder of some sort, possibly a m90 from a supercoupe, or a nitrious shot.

I dont want to mess w/ the split port parts or IMRC's...Could I put ported single port heads/intake on a 4.2L block?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 05:19 PM
Full Metal

Send a message via AIM to RedThunder94 Send a message via Yahoo to RedThunder94
yes.

Smash Forehead on Keyboard to Continue....

2004 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
Pioneer DEH-P6000UB Infinity 2 way 6x8's, and Eclipse 5x7 3 ways, Fultron Tweets, Infinity 1211A, Alpine SWR-1222D Type-R 12.

1999 VW New Beetle SOLD!

1990 F150 Lariat Xlt 4.9L std cab longbed, E4OD, Work Truck.

1994 F150 XL 5.0L 4R70W Current Project.

Member of the MN12Online posse.

click here to check 'em out.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 10:44 PM
PostWhore

Yes but port them or your swap will yeild VERY small gains.

Some supercharged cars blow.......Others just pick up and move.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 12:38 AM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

i saw a single port 4.2L NA with a mild cam make something like 170rwhp. The stock heads and intakes will hold you back if they remain stock, so I would suggest upgrading those as well.

The rear main on the sc crank is smaller, but I believe it just uses a larger bearing, I dont think the rear main journal is any smaller.

SC heads and 96+ heads are basically identical, as are the blocks (except for the sc block having a hole in the side for the knock sensor and 'SC' cast into the front of it)

the 96+ connecting rods are the same as 4.2L rods, but the piston height is different, so you will need 4.2L specific pistons.

a 4.2L crank, forged I-beam rods, forged pistons, and ARP head studs could handle a 125 shot of nitrous easily. You could even go 150 or even 175 with a very good dyno tune. I've seen people go 100 shots on stock blocks with a good tune, so putting more into a built engine would not be unsafe. I would go with a nitrous/NA cam if you plan on running nitrous. If you plan to use a supercharger you should go for a mild supercharger cam. so the best thing to dow ould be to figure out what you want to do with the car. a supercharger will want lower compression, around 8.2:1-9:1. Nitrous loves compresison, so 10.5:1-11.5:1 would be the best choice for that.

-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in