thunderbird won't start, need help - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

thunderbird won't start, need help

1990 t-bird, running fine, parked for a few days, now it won't start. Turns over fine, I can get to run on starting fluid but it won't stay running on it's own. Seems fuel related but just the same i put new plugs, rotor and cap in. New fuel filter also, I can hear the fuel pump run for a couple seconds when i turn the key on, i checked the fuel pressure at the port on the fuel rail and it's at about 36psi. I think it's supposed to be between 35 and 45psi. wondering about fuel pressure regulator or sensor or possibly injectors???? Any thoughts???

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sparky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 11:16 PM

Hello, a couple of things that you might want to check is remove a spark plug and see if it is wet with fuel. If it is, you might have an ignition problem. If the plugs are dry, you might want to check your tps for proper operation. Another possibility is that your fuel pump might be weak and not able to keep up with the engine to make it run. Just a couple of thoughts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks G-man

Thanks for the reply G-man, please excuse my ignorance but what is tps?? I've been thinking fuel pump also but it's no picnic to replace this one so i'm exploring other options before i take that plunge!! I'll try turning it over and check a plug again now that i put new ones in, obviously that should be an indication for fuel delivery. Like i said previously, i did check the fuel pressure and it indicated approx. 36psi. I've been told by one source that 30psi should be enough, and another said that 35-45 were the parameters, so not real sure on that.....I'll keep trying......

Thanks again for the reply

Sparky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2005, 02:34 AM

tps stands for throttle positon sensor. As far as checking for wet plugs, that would tell you if you have fuel passing through your injectors. Good luck.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 01:46 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Did you check around the distributor? Did you accidentaly disconnect the small harness from the distributor?

Just an thought

94 T-Bird LX
3.8 V6 - Bone Stock! (Bye darlin' I'll miss ya!)
93 Mercury Sable
03 Mercury Marauder
88 F-150 XLT Lariat
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 02:09 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Just a couple of other thoughts.

If you can hear the fuel pump run, and you've got around 40 psi in the rails, you've got no issues with the fuel pump. I'd kinda stop going in that direction.

Since you were working on the distributor, I'd take a look in that general area and see if you accidentaly knocked any wiring harnesses loose. I've done that before myself.

If you can't find anything, I'd begin to suspect the ignition module. This thing will definitely cause a no-start condition if it has failed.

94 T-Bird LX
3.8 V6 - Bone Stock! (Bye darlin' I'll miss ya!)
93 Mercury Sable
03 Mercury Marauder
88 F-150 XLT Lariat
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again G-Man and sconut1, the pugs do appear to be getting wet although it seems minimal, (not that it should need much at idle)and i've also pulled a plug and grounded it against the exhaust manifold and cranked it over.....spark seems great. Fuel press. appears to be around 36 when cranking. Doesn't make sense, fuel and spark should be enough to get it to fire. Perhaps the tps or mass air flow sensor........I'll keep messing with it, and if anyone has any other ideas I'd be happy to hear from you.

Thanks again

Sparky

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in