Help-another vibration selling tomorrow!! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
DMC

Help-another vibration selling tomorrow!!

First, Thanks Thomas for that reverse shudder problem (drivers motor mnt fixed that).
Now I have a rapidly increasing vibration mostly when I have the heat on. it seems as though the vibration happens when the compressor kicks on. However the mechanic put the screwdriver to his ear and various engine locations and said it was the idler pulley or the alternator going bad. I replaced the idler pulley (it is larger then OEM and I checked two stores) But it seems to be worse. The vibration goes away when I aply a left or right hand turn at a stop. this all happens only in drive. I replaced the tension asy this summer and the pwr strg fluid looks dark. Speaking of tension asy, I tried to use a pry bar to take the belt of and all that happens is the bolts turn. please answer as much as pos. I am selling this car tomorrow and want the buyer to be as happy as I am. to bad ( I have had a number of people stand in disbelief when I tell them it is a 97 in awesome cond with 152,000 for $2,500)

Last edited by DMC; 11-22-2005 at 11:54 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 11:56 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Ever check your motot mounts? Having a marginal or fail mount can really cause some vibs

95 LSC- Mods: 2.5 dual exhaust, 3.73s, 17x9 cobra R Rims, SCT dyno tune, MM driveshaft, 249 rwhp/ 268 ft lb tq
97 Base- Mods: Forged motor, Eaton m112, 2.76 pully, too many mods to list..........
My Car Domain Page
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
DMC

Yes- well the drivers side mount anyway. With a solid mount. Right side is OEM and looks ok to me and the mechanic who looked at it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 02:55 PM
Awaiting E-Mail Confirmation

Those OEM motor mounts can look okay but if the oil leaks out of them they are worthless.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2005, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
DMC

I agree with you- the mount rubber looked like it had some surface cracks and a dried up leak trail on the bracket- however it looked like it was a solvent type of dried fluid , maybe from the degreaser I just used.
An added development- the car does not vibrate when it warms up and at times I feel like it is idle related. I can recreate the vibration to a lesser degree if I throttle up closer to 1,000rpm (my idle is at just over 500) I also just did the throtle body cleaner.
thanks for your replies- keep 'em coming. Has anyone had the tension arm bolt turn when you try to loosen the belt? Maybe I just forgot how to do it! I will try again.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 08:48 PM
3rd Gear Poster

I think it's a mistake to mix two kinds of motor mounts. Since one is slightly more 'springy' than the other, you still can have an asymmetric vibe. And think about it, the engine will lean towards the softer mount and this will put torques all over the place like the the trans mount. The exhaust headers will possibly crack and all the pulleys and water pump will likely wear out much sooner. So seriously, you need to have matching motor mounts. I cant say for sure that this is what your problem is though.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 09:24 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMC
I thanks for your replies- keep 'em coming. Has anyone had the tension arm bolt turn when you try to loosen the belt? Maybe I just forgot how to do it! I will try again.
You need a special tool or you can use your pry bar under the tensioner wheel and use the head of the bolt as a leverage point. It's a little tricky that way, in that it's easy to slip off, but possible. Turning the bolt may apply to much torque to it and damage it.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 06:27 PM
PostWhore

Special tool to do what? As I recall, you just need a regular box wrench. Put it on the bolt head on the tensioner pulley, and pull clockwise. That should release the tension.

You don't want to mess with the bolt that holds the tensioner to the engine.

-------------------

Steve

Owner, 1990 Thunderbird SC, white w/ gray cloth
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 12:10 AM

Hahaha Im have the Same Problem when im at a stop Light my car Vibs realy bad Near
Somewhere near the Center Console do you think its the Tranny Mount??? ot engine Mounts?i could use the help as well 3.8 SC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in