temp guage going crazy - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy temp guage going crazy

i was on the way to my girlfriends house and right before i got there my temp gauge went all the way into the red and the check engine light came on. i added some water to the radiator after the engine cooled down because it looked a little low. on the way home, the car seemed to warm up really fast (within a half mile), but wasnt overheating. then as i was driving down the road the temp guage went all the way down into the blue and then back up to the middle a few times. right before i got to my house, after i stopped at a stop sign, the guage started rising and by the time i pulled into my driveway it was all the way past the red so i shut off the engine as quickly as i could. i didnt see or smell anything unusual under the hood...

i hope my headgasket isnt going.... ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 03:03 AM
PostWhore

I hate to tell you but that is what my 92 Cougar 3.8 did before my head gasket let go. It did not do it all the time but the temp gauge did exactly what yours is doing.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 03:27 AM
The Parts Guy

That usually is a telltale sign of a headgasket letting go. Pay attention to your oil (it will turn milky if coolant is mixing with it) and your exhaust (white smoke if you're burning coolant).

-Rod

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 10:05 AM
Administrator

first thing I would do is put on one of those cheap coolant temp sensor/guage packages from autozone, etc... it COULD be just a faulty sensor.

I would agree that those do sound like symptoms of a head gasket failure, but if it's just a sensor on the fritz, better to find out now instead of ripping the engine apart.

RIP Joel Bender and Preston Smith. The world will never be the same without you.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 10:57 AM
Full Metal

Send a message via AIM to RedThunder94 Send a message via Yahoo to RedThunder94
you might have air in the cooling system as well, did you notice any water leaks before you added the coolant? it has to go somewhere, if not you may have a blown headgasket, but the best way to check before you buy anything is to do a compression test.

Smash Forehead on Keyboard to Continue....

2004 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
Pioneer DEH-P6000UB Infinity 2 way 6x8's, and Eclipse 5x7 3 ways, Fultron Tweets, Infinity 1211A, Alpine SWR-1222D Type-R 12.

1999 VW New Beetle SOLD!

1990 F150 Lariat Xlt 4.9L std cab longbed, E4OD, Work Truck.

1994 F150 XL 5.0L 4R70W Current Project.

Member of the MN12Online posse.

click here to check 'em out.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the help but the next morning i went outside and started it up and i got to the end of the driveway and when i went to pull out into the street it stalled and then wouldnt start. i got it running again but it was bogging when i gave it gas. i couldnt tell if the white smoke out the back was just condensation or it if it was coolant in the oil. it smelled kinda funny and it seemed like more smoke than usual though... so i think my headgasket is going
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

i plan replacing them myself since i dont have much money...
can someone send me a write up on how to replace them, pictures of your experiences, and links to parts i'll need please?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 11:07 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeytbird7
thanks for the help but the next morning i went outside and started it up and i got to the end of the driveway and when i went to pull out into the street it stalled and then wouldnt start. i got it running again but it was bogging when i gave it gas. i couldnt tell if the white smoke out the back was just condensation or it if it was coolant in the oil. it smelled kinda funny and it seemed like more smoke than usual though... so i think my headgasket is going
Take out the sparkplugs and see if any of them are wet. Check the front sparkplug on the drivers side first. If the sparkplugs look wet then it is either oil, fuel or coolant, maybe all three.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 11:32 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
can someone send me a write up on how to replace them, pictures of your experiences, and links to parts i'll need please?
You're going to need some special tools as well. If you have never done a head gasket before you may want ot enlist some help or find a mechanic that will do it for what you can afford.

Some things I know you will need.
The usual
Screwdrivers
Socket set
Wrenches
Gasket Scrapper
Rags
Camera to take pictures of engine before you take it a part (highly recommended)

Special Tools - you might be able to borrow or rent from the parts store.
Torque Wrench 150Ft LB clicker if they got it.
Torque Tip (star) type sockets (you will need these for the head bolts and fuel rails)

Parts - Sometime you can buy a kit for less than the individual parts
I would recommend FelPro gaskets
New Head bolts as they are a one time strech type
You will need the head gasket of course
upper and lower intake manifold gaskets
Valve cover gaskets
I would replace the injector o-rings as well
Thermostat gasket - might want to replace the thermostat too

You will also need -
Replace the Coolant
Change the oil and filter
Change the spark plugs

Notes -
Make sure you clean all of the oil and coolant out of all the threaded holes. This will prevent contamination of the gasket as you thread the bolts back in on assembly.

Take pictures and make note of how everything comes apart. You might want to use tape to mark certain parts.

You might not have to remove the fuel system from the fuel rails, somethimes you can just move it out of the way. You should release the pressure from the fuel rail before you remove it though. It's just like letting air out of a tire. The little scherader valve on the fuel rain.

Make sure you have plenty or room on a work bench that will allow you to lay out the parts in order.

I would make sure you have everything you need before you start and the whole weekend to do the work.

Well, I am sure there is much more, but that's all the time I have for now.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 07:29 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Joseph Rice Send a message via MSN to Joseph Rice Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Rice Send a message via Skype™ to Joseph Rice
HeadGasket Failure!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 08:49 AM

uhh ohh now that i think about it i might have this problem too. ive been noticing my coolant level droping slowly and the temp gauge has been jumpin around a bit...
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 06:32 PM
Full Metal

D'oh!

Pioneer DEH-P6000UB Infinity 2 way 6x8's, and Eclipse 5x7 3 ways, Fultron Tweets, Infinity 1211A, Alpine SWR-1222D Type-R 12.

1999 VW New Beetle SOLD!

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 09:10 PM

high temps= bad fan motor

i'm too slow of a reader to correct everyone on this thread so just trust me on this and change your fan motor a.s.a.p. and spare yourself a headgasket replacement fee. you can keep the old fan and just configure the new motor into the old housing.
i would also change your thermometer for good measures. if you're not busy, while changing your thermometer, drain all the anti-freeze as it could have boiled brown.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 09:43 PM
Full Metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7IST
i'm too slow of a reader to correct everyone on this thread so just trust me on this and change your fan motor a.s.a.p. and spare yourself a headgasket replacement fee. you can keep the old fan and just configure the new motor into the old housing.
i would also change your thermometer for good measures. if you're not busy, while changing your thermometer, drain all the anti-freeze as it could have boiled brown.
dude, not all of the v6 have electric fans, 89-93 n/a v6's had belt driven fans, 89-95 sc's and the 94-97 n/a's had the electric fans. so the only person who needs to be corrected is you, lol,

1999 VW New Beetle SOLD!

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 01:21 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Here's a link that might help. But keep in mind this link goes a bit further than you need to (they remove the cam). The regulars will recognize the site.

supersixmotorsports

I think it's great you want to do this yourself. Here's a couple of tips. Takes lots of pictures before you start and as you go so you can put it back together correctly. Second, your profile says you've got a 93 so it would a very, very good idea to get a valve job done on the heads while they're out. In fact, the heads NEED to go to a machine shop anyway to get resurfaced. If you don't you'll blow a headgasket again in a few months.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 03:13 AM
6th Gear Poster

is the vehicle actually overheating? or is it just that the gauge is jumping around. I had this problem a few weeks back, and fixed it.

If it's not actually overheating nor seeing smoke from the engine compartment, then it is probably a sensor. There is a sensor on the top of the engine that you'll need to take off with a crescent wrench. It takes about 10 seconds to take it off, run to a parts store and grab a new one. The new one will keep the sensor from jumping all over, just incase it is a faulty sensor.

I replaced mine, it was doing the same as yours, the temp gauge would go all the way up to the red line, but my car actually wasnt overheating. Replaced that sensor and everything has been just peetchy keen ever since with the temp. gauges.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in