TCCoA Forums banner

Problems

865 views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  soop 
#1 ·
Ok i posted up about my egr i replaced it and nothing ever changed for u new ppl who r wondering whats wrong, My 89 t bird 3.8l is acting up when i floor it, it seems to stubble like it was not able to blow exaust or something what i have done alrdy is, replaced spark plus, cleaned distrubtor cap, toke of one of my cats, only the left side, and i cleaned my fuel injestors, replaced my egr, iac, and my egr sensor, and i am getting an oil change. What else could there be could it be my timing that is all screwed up or is it my o2 sensors. My friend has a ford temp and it is doing the same thing. If i can't find out what the deal is then i am going to wrap it around a tree. Thats my last resort with that car :mad: . This car has been a pain in the *** for the last month. Please HELP Me:( :( :( :( :( :(

#4 ·
I assume that this was happening before you replaced all those components. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the components that you replaced was defective or a gasket not seated properly. Seen it here before. Or one of the vacuum lines that you replaced is leaking.

Do a search of the forums for "vacuum leaks". A method to determine if you have one is to spray a small amount of throttlebody cleaner in and around your intake and vacuum lines. If the engine stumbles or you can visually see the spray being pulled into a vacuum line or gasket, then you have found the source of a leak.

Another method would be to spray ether, as A-Train suggests. The engine would not stumble, but would gain rpms.

I am not familiar with what can fail in a MAP, other than it helps the EEC control the EGR vacuum, timing, and fuel.

Don't give up, after replacing what you have, it will likely be something relatively easy to correct.

#8 ·
This is assuming that you haven't already done the following.

Okay, try this. First off, get a good fuel system cleaning treatment and use that for the next 3 fillups, then try a higher octane gas in the next couple of tanks. If you haven't already done it, replace the fuel filter.

It's too bad that someone who is familiar with the MAP or the '89-90 engines hasn't posted.

If you haven't already done it, check the airfilter and replace. Disconnect your intake, start your car, and take some throttle-body cleaning spray and spray in and around the intake butterflies in your throttle-body. If you spray too much, the engine will stall out. You need to manually push the throttle linkage to keep the rpms up arount 2000-2500 while you do this.

If you do all of this and you still are having problems then drop a post back here.

#11 ·
Seems like a bit much, but...I've never replaced a fuel pump in an MN12. You're filter must have been in pretty bad condition for it to cause that.

Replace the fuel filter yourself. It's easy and cheap. Do a search of the forum for fuel filter replacement and you should find some recent threads on the change. Once you do that, see if the problem continues.

Beyond that, I have only changed a fuel pump once in on of my past rides. I dropped the tank and there was an opening in the top that the fuel pump was attached to. With the tbird I'm sure that the exhaust is in the way and needs to be removed.

If nobody else posts their expeience in replacing this, and you don't have a Haynes, let me know and I'll scan and email the instructions from the Haynes. It's definately something that most on this board could do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.