94 Thunderbird LX EGR Problem - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

94 Thunderbird LX EGR Problem

Hi, Hawkeye here. Let me start by saying that I am new to the forums, and would like to send out a hello to all here. I just got my Thunderbird last month and was very excited to get it. It runs great for a mere $500. They told me that the problem was the EGR vale needed to be changed. I procedded to have the EGR valve changed, but as we started to change it, we found out that the hose that runs into the EGR valve was damaged, and needed to be replaced. My question, is where is a good place to get a hose that flows into an EGR valve. Is there anyone selling one? I also could use some other parts too, but, the EGR valve hose comes first. I already have the replacement EGR valve. Also, what's good to do while changing the EGR valve to make sure nothing else happens? I know cars, but only basic, changing oil, changing tires type stuff. Any help would be gladly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 03:51 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

You should be able to those lines from Ford or if not just head over to local hardware store and get (I believe) 1/8 OD.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Ok, will do. Thanks! Do you know how much it may cost? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 03:06 PM
PCD
Confirmed V6 Nut

Hawkeye, Most auto parts stores sell the hose cheap, I'm thinking about $1.25 per foot or less.

I'd also seafoam your car. do a search. You disconnect a vacuum line and dip it into the can and let the engine suck in about half the can. You'll get a large cloud from the exhaust, but ignore it. Put the other half of the can in your engine oil.

The Parts Bin Special is DEAD! It is being parted out.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

PCD, hmm, only a $1.25 per foot. Just to be sure, I am needing the metal hose pipe that goes into the EGR valve and I think the manifold, not too sure where the other one goes. If an auto parts store would make one for me, then I'd be ok, cause my car is getting a little worse, it doesn't wanna start unless I REALLY give it gas. As for the seafoaming. I have never heard of that before. I do a search. Thanks!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 11:39 PM

I replaced the headgaskets on my 3.8 and broke the EGR tube you speak of. Couldn't find another anywhere. Even junkyards had none. It's a pretty flimsy prt for there to be no replacement. The stealership told me they didn't carry parts for older than 7 years, or some BS. I ended up plugging both holes and eliminating the EGR. No ill effects so far as I can see. The check engine light comes on once warmed up, but I know what it is so it doesn't alarm me. If I ever find a tube I'll put the EGR back in.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 08:32 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to white lincoln
What you need is the orifice tube assembly (EGR Tube).

Call a Ford dealer near you. I was able to get one for my 1995 Town Car with no problem. It is all in how you ask and that you know what you are asking for. THe above picture is for a 1996 Turd and should not be different from a 94 Turd (I could be wrong though, but I doubt it).

Last edited by white lincoln; 01-20-2006 at 08:45 AM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 08:40 AM
PostWhore

Here is the layout of a 1996 Turd, 3.8l engine EGR tube.

http://planet.tvi.edu/bpearce/1994Me...egr%20tube.jpg

Here is a pic of the EGR Tube for my 95 Town Car (old and new)

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 10:09 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Stevinator
he doesnt need that, the 94s only have one tube coming out of the EGR tube.

as for the EGR, make sure to replace the gasket before you put the new on one. I'm assuming you mean the small (green and red) vacuum lines are the ones that broke? yeah, they suck, go get some from a local autoparts store, they're cheap.

ok, you got your new (to you) thunderbird. things to do right away. flush all fluids, replace oil with fully synthetic, replace ATF (automatic tranmission fluid) with mercon 5, flush power steering (probably looks like chocolate soup), and flush coolant. you'll be happy you did these. brake fluid ought to be fine. (search posts or tech articles for how to's)

next, change your spark plugs. wire might need it, just inspect them to see if there are any bare parts on them. after that, clean your MAF (tech articles). use some carb cleaner to clean your throttle body (careful not to get it on paint).

seafoam is a good suggestion (do before you change your oil, then change oil shortly after, again search posts on how to)

if the car was sitting for awhile, then burn up all that gas, and put in a fuel injector cleaner

replace all filters, oil, air, and fuel, trans

if your really ambitious change your diff fluid (its easy) and put in some royal purple.

also, depending on the enviornment you live in, there may be a whole lot of leaves in your vents. you may want to remove the black trim by your hood and vacuum all that out. your a/c will thank you.

then when thats all done just degrease the engine and enjoy your new ride! it ought to run like a champ.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 10:10 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamus
I ended up plugging both holes and eliminating the EGR. No ill effects so far as I can see. The check engine light comes on once warmed up, but I know what it is so it doesn't alarm me. If I ever find a tube I'll put the EGR back in.
how are you running that car with no EGR? you need a tune to delete it. i wouldn't advise this at all (not that im an authority or anything, but thats just dumb)
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 11:13 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stevinator
he doesnt need that, the 94s only have one tube coming out of the EGR tube.
He does need the tube as he said in his thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye21
I am needing the metal hose pipe that goes into the EGR valve
No, after 95 they used two vacuum lines from the EGR. My 94 only has one also, that was not my point as I stated, the pics where from a 96 3.8l.

A car will run with the EGR bypassed, but... call me a purist, but I would never do that. I would fix the problem. Otherwise you run into more problems down the road.

Good points Stevinator on what to do with a new car. Here are some how too's:
http://planet.tvi.edu/bpearce/1994Mercury/repairs.htm

I thought I had some others, but I think they were just posts to other users instead of right ups. Sorry.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 12:05 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

oops i missed the part about him needing the pipe, i would just go to a junk yard, with a lot of PB and some patience.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 02:26 PM
PostWhore

We have serveral of the 89-9x Turd's at our U-Pull it. Should not be a problem to get one from a yard. For the price, I would rather get a new one. With the heat that is coming through that pipe from the exhaust, it will wear the metal after time. IMO

BTW: I think (and I could be wrong) but the 3.8l in the Tauras/Sable have the same tube. It should not be hard to get one.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 06:42 PM

Well, I don't know if bypassing the EGR will do lon term damage, but it hasn't yet. Like I said, it was my only option. I checcked every u-pull in the area, nothing. And every other yard where they pull it, the broke them when pulling the motors. Also, yes I know 3.8s came in other vehicles and that other tubes may work, but I couldn't find anything to.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 08:12 PM
PostWhore

My 89 Conti had the same tube as my 94 Cougar, if that helps. Ford has to have the fiken thing. I would call the yards and ask if they have any 94 (or what ever year of car you have) Ford / Lincoln / Mercury 3.8l engines. If they do, run down there and show them what you want off the engine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in