Weird coolant leakage?!?! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

Weird coolant leakage?!?!

i found the source of my coolant loss i think. right behind the fan, right on top of the timing belt cover i belive thats what it is ( ill look in my book in the morning ) but after i run my car for a while there is a puddle of coolant sitting there. but it never does it while im looking for a leak. and i cant find out where exactly its coming out of. any ideas guys ? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 01:09 AM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to CLowe1243
Was the car at operating temperature AKA, was the thermostat open when you looked for the leak. The leak could be so small that the puddle only forms after a while of drving. Look around the waterpump, see if the gasket is allowing a leak. Just keep looking is the best advice I can give from the info you gave. Where is the puddle at?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

i took outmy haynes manual and took a pic of the area, its the best i can do till i get a real digi cam Hosted by Putfile.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 09:41 AM

It sounds like the timing cover is leaking. OR maybe the water pump.

The water pump bolts run threw the timimg cover and the timing cover has water jackets to supply the water pump. If the gaskets to the timing cover are wore out or the bolts are loose it will leak at the timing cover to the block. This causes a puddle on top of the timing cover. If this is not the problem than I would go looking above the timing cover. You might be leaking from the intake or one of the heads.

I'm sure that when the motor warms up that the leak seals it's self. When the car cools down there is still enough pressure in the rad. system to cause it to leak. This why you can't find it after it is warmed up.

Metel expands when it gets hot, this will seal gaskets that are old and loose. When the engin cools the gaskets get loose again because the metel contacts again.

Try tighting up the water pump bolts and see if any are loose.
Clean the water off from the area.
Start the car and let it warm up real good.
Shut the car off and keep a eye open for the leak>

Kurt

Last edited by GONE14S; 12-11-2005 at 09:46 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 02:17 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I had a hose (bypass or heater, I don't remember) that was leaking, and it was filling up the top of the timing chain cover with antifreeze. I thought it was my waterpump gasket (actually I thought it was the timing chain cover) but as I was checking it out, I found that once it got up to temp, it was spraying antifreeze through the hole created by the hoseclamp rivet (Motorcraft replacement fitted hoses). I couldn't see it happening, the only way I found it is that I put in some stop leak (I know, but I was hoping to limp it along for awhile) and that sprayed out, but dried where it landed, so I had a spray pattern to see instead of it all puddling.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 08:27 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to dionysus94ls Send a message via Yahoo to dionysus94ls
My eyesight isn't the best, but it looks like you have the arrow pointing to the thermostat housing area. I just finished changing thermostats in mine and needless to say i have a leak....so I gotta get out there and redo it. I was looking for leaks last night with a flashlight and it is leaking from the bottom forming a little puddle on the engine. Anyways good luck hope, you find the prob.......

Jas

Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in