My Cat is a Dog- N/A 3.8 mods - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

My Cat is a Dog- N/A 3.8 mods

Hey fellow Cougars, just joined up. I'll get right to the point. Just picked up a 91' Cougar LS V-6. Wanting to know what mods are available to get this anaemic 3.8 cat to move it's tail a little. I've owned a 5.0 Mustang up until this point and know my stuff when it comes to mods on it, but I am very unfamiliar with the 3.8. I know basic mods like air filter silencer and timing, but what I really want to know are there any reasonably inexpensive mods that I can do to pull another honest 25hp or so out of this engine. (Head/intake porting, exhaust, etc) I have access to all machinery needed and am fairly capable when it comes to using it. I'm really just concerned that if I spend 20+ hrs porting and polishing a set of heads, am I gonna see any noticeable difference. What about even little things, (plugs, TPS adjust).

Also, anyone have anything that I need to know about this particular year as far as recalls and such goes?

Whatever you've got would be appreciated?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 07:02 AM

head and intake porting, a new cam, and an underdrive pulley got me 45 more RWHP over stock and 20ft-lbs over stock
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 03:53 PM

now I can't realy mess with the head, bt I do plan on p&P the intake a little since I have to replace my head gaskets anywys...But is there any wa that I could P&P the head, just enough to get a little more power...Just don't anna ruin it...Thanx for any help

Wes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by rancherlee
head and intake porting, a new cam, and an underdrive pulley got me 45 more RWHP over stock and 20ft-lbs over stock
Not to piss and moan over your suggestions, but how did your gas mileage suffer with the above mods. I know that you can't have it both ways, but I'm hoping to retain some fuel economy. Also, what cam did you use (Make/manufacturer, specs).
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 04:38 PM

MPG is the SAME as it was when my car was stock still maintain a 21mpg average 50/50 highway/town.
I got "Thunder Jr." cam from rpm-mustangs.com
205 intake 216 exhaust @ .050 lift
.477 intake .495 exhaust lift
Uses stock pushrods but needs new valve springs
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Hmmmm, now you’ve got my salivary glands working. What’s the deal with the stock heads, can they handle a little bit of milling to up the compression ration. I only know that the 3.8’s are famed for being weak in the head gasket dept and worry that a bump in compression would compromise durability. No idea what it is stock. Did you mill yours at all, or just stick with the port and polish?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in