Finally got my Tbird on the road. have some ?'s. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Finally got my Tbird on the road. have some ?'s.

well after a few months of tinkering and stuff i finaly got my bird on the road , i bought it for 300 bucks , it needed tires and a windshield. well i picked it up from the inspection place this morning and went for a ride. it went pretty good except for some sputtering @ around 30 mph , and the tempature guage didnt rise much , about 1/4 of the way up, is this normal ? what could be casuign the sputtering ? im guess if i replace the plugs and wires it should fix the problem. but the car was going pretty good and @ 60mph it was still driving really good. i love my tbird, any help on the sputtering would be great. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

well it started sputtering worse now. so i put some lucas fuel stuff in , i hope that helps.
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 02:38 PM
PCD
Confirmed V6 Nut

While the Lucas is good stuff, how old is the gas in the car?

Also, on your temp gauge, what letter was the needle nearest (N, O, R, M)?

Just to be safe, have your radiator pressure checked.

The Parts Bin Special is DEAD! It is being parted out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

gas in the car is only a month or 2 old , i did put 10 bucks in it though erlier today. ill see how it runs when i goto work
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 03:21 PM

I would definatly do a tune up if hasn't had one in a while.
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 04:43 PM
4th Gear Poster

check the cap and rotor as well.. that could be worn to **** possibly
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 08:43 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soopa villain17
and the tempature guage didnt rise much , about 1/4 of the way up, is this normal ?
Might be time for a thermostat and coolant flush. How's the heat?

Change the fuel filter too when you do the tune up.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

yea i planned on having a tune up done when i get more cash , i had to spend 291 this morning for a set of tires and inspection. i planned on replacing the dist cap , plugs , wires , all that stuff. i was also thinking a wire may be wet or something, becuase its been raining all day except for this morning and it was running smooth this morning. could it be the maf ( i have no idea what that is , but lots of you guys say you have problems with it ) , i think it just needs a good tune up imo , it doesnt over heat or anything, the temp gauge stays pretty low , below the letters

Last edited by soopa villain17; 12-29-2005 at 10:33 PM.
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 04:42 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soopa villain17
could it be the maf ( i have no idea what that is , but lots of you guys say you have problems with it )
You have an 89, no MAF for you to worry about!

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo Joe
You have an 89, no MAF for you to worry about!

Joe

oh cool , but what is a maf ?
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 01:02 PM
PCD
Confirmed V6 Nut

MAF = Mass Air Flow sensor. On Super Coupes and other models, it is a sensor positioned just after the air box but before the air tube that takes air to the throttle body.

The Parts Bin Special is DEAD! It is being parted out.
post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

just got back from a 15 mile ride, the temp gauge stayed well below the p. i have a coolant leak, so im loosing alot of coolant , i just cant pinpoint the leak wich is really p-ing me off. but the car sputtered pretty much the whole time , it starts at around 20 and doesnt stop untill 60. it doesnt do it the whole time though , one minute ill be accelerating fine , then the next it will sputter. its really making me mad because now im broke and have to money to fix anything till next month
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 08:18 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Stevinator
try running some seafoam through the car, replace the gas and fuel filter. then get the car warm and check the radiator (my old radiator leaked only after it warmed up the crack was so small)
post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 02:47 AM
MaleWhore

Send a message via AIM to smokymance
its most likely a ignition problem...get that tune up done then ull see...my coil got wet on my 93 and it sputtered like crazy...

also try the air filter and fuel filter.

as far as the coolant leak...look for the leak after you have driven the car, try to see if its by the water pump, or the bottom of the radiator or hoses...and let me tell ya, it better be a leak cause you dont want it to be a head gasket....is the car leaving coolant on the ground?

1997 MN12 Sport 4.6L Supercharged 5 Speed Sold
1998 Mark VIII LSC Teredor Red, Parts car, PM me
1998 Mark VIII LSC Pearl, Stock, Garage Queen
2000 Jeep XJ 4.0L Long Armed and Locked
2008 Yukon Denali 6.2L Supercharged
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymance
its most likely a ignition problem...get that tune up done then ull see...my coil got wet on my 93 and it sputtered like crazy...

also try the air filter and fuel filter.

as far as the coolant leak...look for the leak after you have driven the car, try to see if its by the water pump, or the bottom of the radiator or hoses...and let me tell ya, it better be a leak cause you dont want it to be a head gasket....is the car leaving coolant on the ground?

its leaking around the water pump area , after i shut it off and leave and come back , there is always a little puddle of coolant on the motor in a little indent. yes it leaves some on the ground. today i drove 91 miles . the only problem i had was the sputtering , the car goes pretty good at 80mph , i did pick up some seafoam i put about 1/3 of it in my tank , it seemed to help a little , i also picked up 6 new autlite copper plugs and a fram fuel filter, next im going to get plug wires and whatever else i need , but when i braked my car pulled to the right and i heard a scratching/grinding noise . but idk time will tell whats wrong
post #16 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 04:16 PM
MaleWhore

Send a message via AIM to smokymance
its an older car so the wires would be a good idea to replace. if the sea foam helped, then that means that the car basicly needs a tune up. good thing its leaking by the pump as that means its not a head gasket. it could be the water pump it self(which is pretty simple to replace) or it could be the lower rad hose which is also common to go bad. as far as the brakes, they probably need to be replaced also. no biggy, just some patience and some $$.

1997 MN12 Sport 4.6L Supercharged 5 Speed Sold
1998 Mark VIII LSC Teredor Red, Parts car, PM me
1998 Mark VIII LSC Pearl, Stock, Garage Queen
2000 Jeep XJ 4.0L Long Armed and Locked
2008 Yukon Denali 6.2L Supercharged
post #17 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

should i put the rest of the seafoam in ? also how do i change the fuel filter ?? thanks
post #18 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

also what kind of t-stat should i get, since i think this one is shot ? thanks
post #19 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 01:24 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

i would put the seafoam through a vacuum line. it works wonders, i always use the brake booster line, but you can use the pcv line as well. if you don't know how to do it from a vacuum line search posts with seafoam. it's been extensively talked about. the fuel filter is easy. under the passenger side of the car you will see a little canister in the fuel lines. simple ubolt the canister shield, unscrew the ring and there are little clips that you pop off, then the fuel filter comes right off. HOWEVER, MAKE SURE TO TURN OFF YOUR FUEL PUMP BY EITHER THE BATTERY, OR THE FUEL PUMP CUT OFF SWITCH IN YOUR TRUNK. after you do that, run the car until it dies. that way when you take the filter off you don't get gas all over yourself.
post #20 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

well i put the fuel filter in. i didnt shut anything off so a lil gas got on me. im pretty sure the fuel filter on was original it was almost rusted through and was gross looking. when i fired my car up it was easier to start and i noticed less vibrations. 2morro im replacing plugs and wires. but ive never changed plug wires before, is it hard ? and i haven o idea what a vaccum line is
post #21 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 05:12 PM

plugs and wires are easy to change just make sure you write down the firing order (which is what plug wires go where) so you dont mix them up when you put the new ones on.
post #22 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 05:31 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

it's easier to just replace one wire at a time. it doesn't matter what plug you put in what hole. vacuum lines create a vacuum into the upper intake manifold (the metal piece on the top of your motor that says 3.8 liter Fuel Injected. those lines that come out on the firewall side of the car hold a vacuum. that vacuum sucks into the car. so if you unpluged one of those lines, and put that hose in liquid it would suck that liquid into the car. you want to suck the seafoam into the car. the best bet for you would be to use the brake booster. the line for that is located under your master brake cylinder (below that bottle you put brake fluid in). a big round thing that is attached the firewall is what you are looking for. unplug the hose that leads to your upper intake manifold and let it suck up a bottle of seafoam. turn the car off, 10 minutes later start the car again, and make sure you do this outside because there will probably be a big smoke show.
post #23 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

ok ill TRY to figure out how to get soem seafoam in there . i hope i dont mess anything up lol.

EDIT: so what exactly is the purpose of putting seafoam directly into a vaccum line ? and what do the vaccum lines suck in ? air , fuel .... ??? ive gutta buy another can of seafoam as i dumped all of it into my tank.
post #24 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 09:46 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

seafoam sucked through vacuum lines cleans the carbon build up in the engine, and the exhaust to some degree. thats what the white smoke you see burning off is going to be. your engine creates a vacuum for many reasons, but it sucks in air. differen't systems use the air for different things. like the pcv uses it to put air back into the cycle from the crank case, the brake system uses it to help you brake faster, the EGR uses a vacuum, etc.....all the fuel that goes into your car is put in through fuel injectors, those little stubbing things that are on the chrome rail that is below the upper intake manifold. if your worried about messing something up (which is really, really hard) just make a diagram of what vacuum line you unhook to put it in the car, all you have to do is unhook the end that isn't plugged into the upper intake manifold.
post #25 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

well i just got back form autozone , i got a dist cap , rotor and plug wires and a new can of seafoam. not to sound like a pita or a noob i really cant find a vaccum line, i know a little about cars and engines but not alot im pretty much running blind. i did the fuel filter with no problem. im also assuming the car has to be running for the seafoam to be sucked in. does anybody have a picture of the best vaccum line to suck the seafoam in ? id like to do this stuff today if possible so a quick answer would be super, thanks guys
post #26 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 03:19 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

On my 89 Cougar, I pull off the line to the brake booster and use it. I cut the top off a soda can, put it in the spot behind the shock tower, put the vaccuum line in it, start up the car, and pour half the can of seafoam into the can. If it doesn't stall, then I turn off the car as fast as I can, and wander around for 15 minutes (if I stay there, I can only wait about 12 seconds before starting it up). I start out with the car semi warm (running about 2 minutes from cold), maybe 1 or 2 bars on the digidash temp gauge).

I don't have a picture, but on the big black metal round thing the brake master cylinder mounts to, there is a large (in terms of vaccum lines) line that connects to a plastic plug that goes into the booster, that is the best one to use. I don't have much luck on that car with the PCV valve, tough to get to.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #27 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

CRAP [email protected][email protected]#[email protected]#[email protected]#$%@#[email protected]#$!#@% dammnit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i replaced the rotor and cap , and the 3 plugs and wires on the drivers side. when i went to start the car it started very hard. so i went down to autozone to pick something up. i came back , car ran for about 5 or 6 minutes. i smelled something , so i popped the hood and my cattylicitc (sp?) is cherry red. its only the one on the drivers side. so i imediatly shut the car off and ran inside to post this, after i post im gunna go back nad look and make sure nothing catches on fire. any idea what could of caused this ? maybe i messed up on the plug wires , or something. i dont really no , im so nervous right now i hope i didnt ruin anything. please help ASAP , thank
post #28 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

well the cat is back to normal , not cherry hot anymore. but when i was driving it i also noticed a HUGE loss in power, help asap
post #29 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 04:42 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

red hot cat means a rich condition. An injector hanging, a missfire, since it happened after cap/rotor/plugs/wires I would guess either plug wires are not correctly installed (either one isn't on, or two or more are on incorrect cylinders) or the timing is way off (but not likely with it being one side).

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #30 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

when i pulled the 3 drivers side plugs out , they were pretty filthy , they were wet, but not on the tip, they were wet by the threads , idk if that means anything. also i didnt gap them out of the box , was i suppose to ? i do know the gap is suppose to be .54. when i was putting the wires back on i thought i was doing something wrong. does anybody have a diagram of where there suppose to go ? and i only changed 3 of them , maybe that has something to do with it. and anotehr question , could the cap or rotor be the problem ? and what could cause the huge loss in power ? thanks guys im pretty dissapointed in myself

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in