Really bad gas milage - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Really bad gas milage

Well 1st off I guess I should introduce myself as a noob. Long time visitor, 1st time poster. I drive a 96 T-bird with a 3.8L engine and love it to death. I bought it about 2 years ago and have never really had problems with it, it's been a very reliable car. Until now.

Well here it goes. My gas milage has gone to crap with the start of winter. I used to get right about 350 miles on a full tank of gas, but now I am lucky to get right around 225-275 on a full tank.

My spark plugs say that my car is running rich, which i havent found out why yet because they are a little black on the end. My check engine light is on, but only because of the cam shaft positioning sensor, which i've replaced already. I've already put heet through the system which seemed to make it run a little bit better with the gas milage, but not a whole lot. I replaced the fuel filter not too long ago, ran some fuel injector cleaner thru it, had the oil changed and all that good stuff.

The only thing that I can really see could be a problem (I dont know) I upgraded to the 180*F thermostat after reading bout it here. Which is making it run colder (thermostat doesnt get up to normal, stays below the N) or i've been told that my cat could be clogged up. I really have no clue.

BUT! here's one thing that I think may link to this/be the cause.

When I go out and start my car up, I'll let it run for a little while. I'll shut it off and then I cant get it to start again. It tries to start but wont turn over. Keep in mind this is after warming up, or right after I 1st start it. Finally it will turn over just a tiny bit, and I actually have to push on the gas pedal to get the car to go. Now I know this car isnt carborated, so there's gotta be something wrong here with something for the fuel. My computer doesnt come up with O2 censor replacement, but could that be a possibility of replacement?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 11:21 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Welcome noob!

I think everyones mileage suffers this time of year because of the cold weather.

Unless you have a chip or had the car tuned, I'd get rid of the 180 t-stat.

The hard starting problem could be the IAC on the way out. Do a search and you'll see that other people have had the same problem.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 11:46 AM
Administrator

the reduced milage you are noticing is common in winter time... dont' worry aboot it

RIP Joel Bender and Preston Smith. The world will never be the same without you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 11:50 AM

225-275 a tank sounds about right in the winter. I only averaged 17-18 in the winter around town with mine when it was stock.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 03:32 PM
Dim Bulb

Send a message via AIM to Falcon5783 Send a message via MSN to Falcon5783 Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon5783
Hey Blind, welcome aboard, you need to click here

+1

Elliot
'95 who-the-hell-knows-what in progress
2003 Mustang Cobra radiator, 180* T-stat, Hayden Ultra-cool auxiliary transmission cooler, 13" slotted/cross-drilled front rotors, Dual-Piston PBR calipers Powder Coated Red w/ black logo, 17" 7-spoke Chrome Motegis, JVC Arsenal 5000 HU with touch screen, Kappa 5x7's, Audiobahn 12 pushing 550 rms, FF50 driving lights, FF75 fog lights, xenon 95 air dam, 97 side skirts, rear window tbird decal
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 07:30 PM
3rd Gear Poster

u might want to try cleaning your throttle body and plate. i plan on doing it myself. the only good tutorial i found for it is for an F-150 truck. but i imagine its pretty much the same process. you can check it out here . http://www.fordf150.net/howto/throttlebodyclean.php

i also plan on adding a techron or lucas fuel additive (i heard they work good). if ur daring enough u could try seafoam.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 09:48 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Stevinator
yeah, your MAF could probably use a clean as well
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 02:00 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

225 a tank thats what I get on a good week.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 12:01 PM

on my first tank since i repalced the Hg's, w/ all highway driving i'm at 275miles and only a 1/2 a tank...I cant wait to see how much i can get off this tank lol.

But normally i get 300 in the summer, and around 250 in the winter.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 12:09 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Stevinator
yeah highway i can get around 400+ a tank, haven't had the patience to see how much i get in the city, i know it sucks balls.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 11:42 AM
MaleWhore

Send a message via AIM to smokymance
its bad to have a 180 stat if the 3.8 isnt tuned? if so i need to get me a stock tstat

1997 MN12 Sport 4.6L Supercharged 5 Speed Sold
1998 Mark VIII LSC Teredor Red, Parts car, PM me
1998 Mark VIII LSC Pearl, Stock, Garage Queen
2000 Jeep XJ 4.0L Long Armed and Locked
2008 Yukon Denali 6.2L Supercharged

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in