about to fire her up! couple issues... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

Send a message via AIM to big mike
about to fire her up! couple issues...

after sitting for a few months in my folks driveway, i am about to start up the bird and take her to the OR. i have a few things to button up, so what i want to know is:

where does the other end of the vaccuum line that plugs into the egr transducer go? if its the firewall, then where on the firewall?

what size (gauge?) wires are the o2 sensor wires? i gotta lengthen the passenger side

is the egr tube fitting that screws into the valve a metric size? i plugged it up with a standard size steel plug, and the plug threads stripped some

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 08:53 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by big mike

where does the other end of the vaccuum line that plugs into the egr transducer go? if its the firewall, then where on the firewall?
It connects to the exhaust recirculation pipe that runs between the egr valve and the exhaust manifold.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 08:56 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to CobraRThunder
Do not soldier the O2 wires. crimp them with butt-connectors. And then heat shrink the butt-connectors. your O2's breathe through the wires at each end, oxygen.

4R70W From DirtyDog
VORTECH BLOWN w/3.12" Reichard ultra-grip pulley
TEA Stage2 PI Heads, 9.5:1 manley slugs/manley H-beams, cobra crank, VTStage3 blower cams, Trick Flow track heat intake, FMIC TR1245 intercooler, ART Dual 2.5" exhaust/Stainless/no cats, KOOKS coated headers, 4.10 w/ Auburn Pro, aluminum 8.8 housing, Dynotech driveshaft, Koni's, Eibach Springs, Baer 13" big brake kit. cobra rear brake/hub conversion, VMP Slot Blowthru setup, #60 Inj. 75mm TB,
615 rwhp/500 torque 15.5psi best of [email protected] still needs tuning.
CarDomain http://www.cardomain.com/ride/426794
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 09:00 PM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraRThunder
Do not soldier the O2 wires. crimp them with butt-connectors. And then heat shrink the butt-connectors. your O2's breathe through the wires at each end, oxygen.
?????

1997 Sport - Work in progress:>
MP BB 304 Teksid 4v- w IC'd / Ported M112
Need:
Eaton pulley puller (VMP or BF preferred)
H/E
Cowl Hood
FRPS
FORE Regulator
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by perch
It connects to the exhaust recirculation pipe that runs between the egr valve and the exhaust manifold.
crap, im not using my egr tube. i have both ends plugged up. should i just leave the transducer open? this is only a temporary deal, so i can drive my car across town to storage. i know it will run crappy.

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 09:45 PM
PostWhore

do some research on O2 sensors....or, go get a universal one and read if it tells you to crimp or soldier the wires.

4R70W From DirtyDog
TEA Stage2 PI Heads, 9.5:1 manley slugs/manley H-beams, cobra crank, VTStage3 blower cams, Trick Flow track heat intake, FMIC TR1245 intercooler, ART Dual 2.5" exhaust/Stainless/no cats, KOOKS coated headers, 4.10 w/ Auburn Pro, aluminum 8.8 housing, Dynotech driveshaft, Koni's, Eibach Springs, Baer 13" big brake kit. cobra rear brake/hub conversion, VMP Slot Blowthru setup, #60 Inj. 75mm TB,
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 01:02 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
crap, im not using my egr tube. i have both ends plugged up. should i just leave the transducer open? this is only a temporary deal, so i can drive my car across town to storage. i know it will run crappy.
Well if you're bypassing the egr then you don't need the egr transducer at all. But you will need to turn it off by reprogramming your chip.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by perch
Well if you're bypassing the egr then you don't need the egr transducer at all. But you will need to turn it off by reprogramming your chip.
no chip here. this is only for driveability purposes. i just want it to be able to make this one trip across town without dying on me. as long as it runs and drives, im satisfied.

chris, is heat shrinking necessary for this one trip?

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 06:19 PM
PostWhore

nah the heat shrink is for the long term corrosion protection.

4R70W From DirtyDog
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 09:12 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Joseph Rice Send a message via MSN to Joseph Rice Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Rice Send a message via Skype™ to Joseph Rice
The EGR Transducer Hose goes to the EGR Valve, on the back side...
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Rice
EGR Valve
tube actually. i found it and i see where it goes to. what about the egr tube thread sizes? im about to jb weld this mother shut if i cant find a plug that fits

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraRThunder
Here is some info on how O2 sensors really work.
http://www.boschusa.com/AutoParts/FAQs/OxygenSensors/
http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...gen_sensor.htm
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

i got her started up! the bad news is i have an exhaust leak, and i know where its coming from. its at the collector-to-cat passenger side. i couldnt get the nuts tightened down all the way cuz the manifold studs are rusty as hell, so its not sealed all the way gotta unbolt that side and take a wire brush to the threads.

i have the o2s screwed into their respective bungs, but unplugged. they will stay like that. i havent run the car long enough to see if the egr plug helps any. once i get this leak fixed, then i will do so.

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 08:19 AM
6th Gear Poster

spray some good penetrating oil on the threads and let it soak for a good while, then you can run a die (thread chaser) down the stud, or run a nut and keep backing it off to get the crap out from between the threads.

Soak her again if she's not cooperating. Lastly buy some aftermarket headers so you can use replaceable bolts instead!!!!

Unless you want to auger those studs out of there!

1997 Sport - Work in progress:>
MP BB 304 Teksid 4v- w IC'd / Ported M112
Need:
Eaton pulley puller (VMP or BF preferred)
H/E
Cowl Hood
FRPS
FORE Regulator
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps
spray some good penetrating oil on the threads and let it soak for a good while, then you can run a die (thread chaser) down the stud, or run a nut and keep backing it off to get the crap out from between the threads.

Soak her again if she's not cooperating. Lastly buy some aftermarket headers so you can use replaceable bolts instead!!!!

Unless you want to auger those studs out of there!
eh, im not sure how effective the oil will be. i know a wire brush will work. keep in mind i have limited space to work with. i dont feel like pulling out the exhaust again to remove the manifold.

funny you mention headers. i had a set, but i sold them along with my entire modded exhaust. i have his stock exhaust on my bird now.

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 10:05 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Stevinator
Quote:
after sitting for a few months in my folks driveway, i am about to start up the bird and take her to the OR. i have a few things to button up, so what i want to know is:

(one of the holes in the upper intake manifold)

what size (gauge?) wires are the o2 sensor wires? i gotta lengthen the passenger side

(i got some wire to use, let me know when you plan on doing it, and you can come by after work and pick it up)

is the egr tube fitting that screws into the valve a metric size? i plugged it up with a standard size steel plug, and the plug threads stripped some
(try putting some of that white tape people use on air compressor couplers, i forgot the name of it. or, just put a little silicone around the plug, that oughta plug it until you can get it to the other house)

the cars gonna run like crap anyways though dude, i mean you dont have a egr, so the computers spazing out.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stevinator
the cars gonna run like crap anyways though dude, i mean you dont have a egr, so the computers spazing out.
10-4 man. as long as long it wont die on me, im cool. hell, it already has a rod knock and no oil pressure. it would be funny if the headgaskets blew when i pull up to the house.

you mean teflon tape? silicone seems like a good idea. i need something thick.

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 10:23 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Stevinator
yes i ment teflon tape, i always forget the name of that stuff. if those HG's blow when you get to the house dude, take some pictures for us. im thinking if you plug the transducer into the intake manifold (might have to get a split adapter) it might fool it into thinking there is a egr on the car. who knows, but its worth a shot.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

update: i got the leak fixed, then i heard it leaking still. it was coming from the driver's side this time. got that fixed. no exhaust leaks, but now i can see and smell exhaust smoke rising from the manifolds. its not very thick. also, there's smoke coming from the tail, but that's due to rain water getting into the cats and resonator exhaust piece when it was laying on the ground. the smoke just smells like steam, not sweet like coolant. im just going to have it towed up to the house cuz my inspection or registration is expired.

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in