headgasket blew 76,000 miles - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to orochispice Send a message via Yahoo to orochispice
headgasket blew 76,000 miles

Its at home i was going to take the car to the shop and that damn thing start shaking and tons of smoke came out. Any aftermarekt places to get the headgasket. If not hopefully i'll be getting a 5.0.

Turning a daily driver into a racer is hard work. with no bread you cant do it....so do what i do... plant seeds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 02:18 PM

Gaskets = 99+ Ford mustang 3.8L MLS headgaskets
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancherlee
Gaskets = 99+ Ford mustang 3.8L MLS headgaskets
I went with those and ARP studs. no problems after 900miles since the HG repair a few few weeks ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 09:22 AM
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

Send a message via AIM to big mike
if you are so inclined, i am selling my recently rebuilt heads and head studs. the studs i have are arp's and are cheaper than the tbird studs.

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 09:58 AM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by big mike
if you are so inclined, i am selling my recently rebuilt heads and head studs. the studs i have are arp's and are cheaper than the tbird studs.
Mike do you have the Chevy 2.8 studs, if so I would take them off your hands? Let me know, I think Robert and I are going to work on his 95 this weekend, if you are around I would pick them up.

Charles
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 11:18 AM

just a quick question to chime in on this thread. As far as MLS hg's which hg do yall go with. Also Im sure you guys do the proper machining first before installation correct?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin727
just a quick question to chime in on this thread. As far as MLS hg's which hg do yall go with. Also Im sure you guys do the proper machining first before installation correct?

well I threw a rod in my car..but the hg's/arp studs heald up...lol

as for the machining...I had the heads milled and i cleaned the block real well...other than that...i didnt do anything out of the normal for the MLS hgs(I used felpro) but again I have a 97, so a 93 or so from your profile might not be the same.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 04:34 PM

I have an 89 t-bird supercoupe with some engine modifications. I have an 70mm bbk throttle body, proted heads and intake manifold, kook shorty headers with down pipes, 2 1/2 exhaust, supercharger pulley, spec 6 puck racing clutch and 11.5lb flywheel, 3:55 rear end gears, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, 38lb injectors, 75mm calibrated mass air flow sensor ,and 255lph fuel pump. And before i had put all these parts on i blew the stock head gaskets, both of them. So in tearing the heads off, i thought i would had some performance parts, so i figured it also wouldn't hurt to through some 99 mustang fel-pro 3 layer steel head gaskets on. And with in less than 200 miles i blew them and i mean between the cylinders i am missing about a quater of an inch. And on this second tear down i noticed that the head bolts on the outer edge of the head, the bolts were alittle easier to break free than the ones under the valve cover. And the guy i bought the car from had told me that the ecu had been chipped, havent looked yet to see if it is, but i was told that the early chips made for the SC messed with timing a lot. So i was thinking that under boast when timing is already advanced could this chip be advancing timing even more causing extreme cylinder pressures, which happens under a lot of advanced which would cause the head bolts to strech and let me keep blowing head gaskets? And what would be a could head gasket to run? And is there a good chip out there to maybe allow me to tune the engine alittle bit? And so i just ordered some ARP head studs to help the bolt streching a bit. PLEASE HELP
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertbird89
I have an 89 t-bird supercoupe with some engine modifications. I have an 70mm bbk throttle body, proted heads and intake manifold, kook shorty headers with down pipes, 2 1/2 exhaust, supercharger pulley, spec 6 puck racing clutch and 11.5lb flywheel, 3:55 rear end gears, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, 38lb injectors, 75mm calibrated mass air flow sensor ,and 255lph fuel pump. And before i had put all these parts on i blew the stock head gaskets, both of them. So in tearing the heads off, i thought i would had some performance parts, so i figured it also wouldn't hurt to through some 99 mustang fel-pro 3 layer steel head gaskets on. And with in less than 200 miles i blew them and i mean between the cylinders i am missing about a quater of an inch. And on this second tear down i noticed that the head bolts on the outer edge of the head, the bolts were alittle easier to break free than the ones under the valve cover. And the guy i bought the car from had told me that the ecu had been chipped, havent looked yet to see if it is, but i was told that the early chips made for the SC messed with timing a lot. So i was thinking that under boast when timing is already advanced could this chip be advancing timing even more causing extreme cylinder pressures, which happens under a lot of advanced which would cause the head bolts to strech and let me keep blowing head gaskets? And what would be a could head gasket to run? And is there a good chip out there to maybe allow me to tune the engine alittle bit? And so i just ordered some ARP head studs to help the bolt streching a bit. PLEASE HELP
Sounds like the block surface wasnt as smooth as it should be for the MLS to seal. they have to be usually depending on brand 10-35RA (roughness average) if not then the MLS hg's wont seal. Thats why I asked earlier about machining. I had to do this on my supra. I started off as just a MLS hg prep then turn into a major build. I got everything back from the machine shop and the block wasnt as smooth as I liked it so Im lapping it now along with the head. Using a lapping tool and compound. My tbird just recently blew the hg's and I was just going to use the stock composite ones with new head bolts and torque them down a little more then what the manual says.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in