4.2 with sc super charger - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 1992tbirdsport
4.2 with sc super charger

hey all i was woundering if anybody new what i would have to do to put a sc super charger on a 4.2 this is actualy for my truck i have a 91 ranger that i am puting a super charger on i want to use the 4.2 but im not shure if the manifold and super charger will bolt up fitment as far as dimentions is not a problem...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 12:34 AM
PostWhore

To the best of my knowledge, there is a company that makes a manifold for the SPI heads. It is not for an Eaton though. It is a swap for the 3.8 moostangs with an autorotor. Sorry, I dont recall the name.

Chris

Soon to have some MHS parts, cams, 'luminum block, lower compression, ported heads, autorotor, and need to make long tubes. I have almost all the stuff and need some #42-50s a bypass valve, and maybe a few other things.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 08:40 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
I'm not sure, but I don't think the bottom end would hold up to that supercharger very long. It was never made to handle it, so it would be like putting it on a 3.8NA motor. You would blow it up pretty quick. But as far as bolting everything on, it will bolt right in place of the intake you have right now. Then you just need to deal with locating the intercooler and plumbing everything, but it would work if you build a real strong bottom end first.

Mike

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 09:06 AM

well, the bottem might hold up. Someone has the supercoupe supercharger in a 95 mustang. The engine hasnt died yet.

You'd have better luck putting on a vortech though. You can find used 3.8 ones pretty cheap (around 1500 or so for the whole setup)
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 10:10 AM
PostWhore

The first issue is, how do you plan to get the 4.2 into the Ranger? That truck never came with a 90 degree V6 like the 3.8 or 4.2. They always had the 2.8, 2.9, or 4.0 V6, which are all of the same 60 degree V6 engine family.

No parts are interchangeable between a 4.0 and 4.2.

cheers
Ed N.

95 T-Bird SC 5-speed -- SOLD!!
88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed
07 Mustang GT 5-speed with some stuff
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 11:06 AM
PostWhore

They will fit...I had a 289 in my 83. Also. as far as strength, it MIGHT work. There was a guy on some mustang site that had a 4.2 with some good boost running 10s. But it was not a box blower, it was a centrifugal. I would check with some of the 6er mustang sites.

Chris

Soon to have some MHS parts, cams, 'luminum block, lower compression, ported heads, autorotor, and need to make long tubes. I have almost all the stuff and need some #42-50s a bypass valve, and maybe a few other things.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 11:12 AM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to SplitPortBird
FastEDN: I have a 90' Ranger with a 5.0L V8 in it.. so the 4.2L will bolt in and I might add much easier.

The 3.8/4.2 share almost the same dimensions as the 5.0L and in a ranger its actually easier with the 4.2 as it leaves more room upfront for a fan and bigger radiator.

Wouldnt his best bet be running the S/C heads on the 4.2L engine??? this way the blower bolts right on.. if he wants to spend the money then he cant have the heads ported and maybe order some better pistons for the 4.2L to lower the compression ratio down to possibly 8.5-9.0 which is more suited for a blower engine.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 01:01 PM
PostWhore

I should have been more clear. I wasn't implying that the 4.2 would not fit in the Ranger, I was trying to make sure that the original poster wasn't under the impression that a 4.2 would bolt in place of a 4.0L, if that is indeed what resides in the truck now.

A 4.2 could certainly be installed, but some custom fabbing would be required. There are kits available to install a V8 in a Ranger, even ones for doing a 460 swap. But I'm not aware of any to install an Essex V6.

cheers
Ed N.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 01:40 PM
PostWhore

Im sorry about that Ed...I was not trying to go against you. I was simply stating that it could be done easily.

Chris

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

add to my original post

i have a 3.o now i have all the info on putting a 3.8 in there its not all that uncommon to do mainly b/c there is more upgrades for it... i am using this truck for a drive and road race purposes so i didnt want to put a heavy v8 in there and besides that the truck is lowerd 5 inches in the front and 5.5 in the back so anything as heavy as a 302 i would be drign the oil pan everywere. i just wasnt shure if the manifolds would bolt up. and if the sc heads would be a better choice im haveing the egin machined and im upgraiding the rods and piston im going to have the bottom end build to handle the supercharger i cand wait to get started on this its going to be a verry sic truck

mike
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

i was also woundering what i should do about wiring it should i use super coupe wiring and computer?
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 03:50 PM

Prob like the 2.3T swap, using the wiring harness from a donor car would be the easier way of doing it.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 04:10 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawalkersee
Im sorry about that Ed...I was not trying to go against you. I was simply stating that it could be done easily.

Chris
No apology needed Chris, you were stating facts correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1992tbirdsport
i am using this truck for a drive and road race purposes so i didnt want to put a heavy v8 in there and besides that the truck is lowerd 5 inches in the front and 5.5 in the back so anything as heavy as a 302 i would be drign the oil pan everywere
A 4.2 with a Super Coupe blower setup installed isn't going to be much lighter (if at all) than a 5.0L engine, so you may want to reconsider your options. A 5.0L can be bolted in using a kit from Advance Adapters or Total Performance. It would be a lot easier to get good performance out of it, and you wouldn't have to worry about the potential for failure of the 4.2 engine, being stressed with a blower that it wasn't designed for.

But hey, it's your truck. A 4.2 with a blower in a Ranger would be very neat to see.

cheers
Ed N.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

well i am more interested in the novalty of it anyway i just think it will be awsome..i just wanted to make shure it would bolt on im gunna upgrade the botom end like i said beforee. and i want to make it look as factory as possible

mike
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 06:28 PM
PostWhore

As Rod suggested, with 3.8 SC heads and lower intake, it should work.

cheers
Ed N.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 10:05 PM
PostWhore

I have a SC and had a v8 Ranger. I would reconsider the swap. In fact, if I had the choice, I would setback the engine and run an auto this time. I think you would like the overall cost and ease of already having the kits available.

Chris

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 10:55 AM

The biggest Issue I see is that the 3.8/4.2L engines are WIDER than a 351W though I have seen a few 3.8L rangers before, even a Pre-runner with a 3.8SC engine. You can use any 3.8L block for a 4.2L buildup and a NEW 4.2L crank from ford is only 239$ (picked mine up this morning) and you need to use the 4.2L oil pan if it fits your chassis or one from a 01+ 3.8L mustang to clear the crank.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 08:48 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Stevinator
why waste any of that on a piece of garbage like a ranger anyways? lol. sounds like a very low effort/gain ratio.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 09:48 PM
PostWhore

That from a guy with the word "Metts" on his avatar

Chris

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 02:49 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Stevinator
Metts is my last name...

watch the personal attacks The Stevinator.

Last edited by Litning; 01-31-2006 at 04:00 PM.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 12:45 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stevinator
why waste any of that on a piece of garbage like a ranger anyways? lol. sounds like a very low effort/gain ratio.
A lot of people say the same thing about heavy tbird with a v6

And the mustang car someone mentioned is not a centrifugal, it's a giant turbo, running a max psi of 27 so far, and he just upgraded his turbo to a larger one. All of this on a stock cast 4.2 Ford crankshaft. I'd say if you build the block strong enough, the crank would hold up to an eaton roots blower.

-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 12:51 PM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to SplitPortBird
Its not the crank that would go it would be the rods/pistons that would go first,, the Powder Cast rods are not the strongest,, I have seen them hold up to some power though,, but I dont think it would be a reliable option.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in