93 ford t-bird misfire and rough idle - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

93 ford t-bird misfire and rough idle

Hopefully someone can help. I have a 93 t-bird v6 3.8ltr. I put a new engine and transmission in it. I drives and runs great, seems to lack a little power though. At idle it sputters and eventually dies. I set the idle at 550rpm and the timing at 10 deg. BTC. I sit and watch with a timing light and for about 20 seconds the timing is good, then out of no where it jumps aroud and sputters, the timing goes from 20 BTC to 10 ATC back and forth then dies. If i rev it up to 800+ rpm then the timing goes strait to 10 btc and doesnt move. I put all new sensors, air idle control valve, throttle position sensor, cap and rotor, plugs and wires, even fuel pressure regulator. I am stumped and have dumped a few thousand into the car now. Please help. A friend tells me that since the engine is bigger now that the computer will need to be reprogrammed to compensate the new fuel air mix. But I thought O2 sensors did this? Please any advise to avoid taking it to ford. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 10:48 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to bad93bird
Just a suggestion. What about the ignition control module? You replaced everything but the MAF. Do V6's have them? I'm not sure. If they do, then try it also. If all of that gets done and no improvement, replace the PCM or check the wiring harness.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

before replacing anymore expensive parts... Is there a way to check these parts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 11:06 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to bad93bird
No, not really unless you know someone with the exact same car as you to swap out on. I would really check all of the wiring harnesses. Make sure all of them are good and tight, especially at the PCM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 04:41 PM

check your idle air control unit. this regulates the car's IDLE... hence its name. new costs around $50.00
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

I replaced the idle air control and the throttle position sensor from the get go. Damn i guess i will have to go to ford finally....
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 07:29 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Stevinator
yeah, i would at least CLEAN your MAF first before replacing it. it is one possibilty for your problem. why is the engine bigger now? what did you do to it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in