Is it worth it? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Pedal Faster

Send a message via AIM to Josh_Keady
Is it worth it?

So I didn't really do any maintenance to my Tbird for the last year or so, outside of oil changes, and now it's time to get some stuff done. Specifically, O2 sensors, coolant system flush and thermostat, new plugs and wires, need a new fuel pump (noisy!), need a new idler pulley (noisier!), I'd like to put on a set of the newer style exhaust manifolds, just stuff like that.

I got to thinking, though, maybe I should do the head gaskets? The car has about 96k on it now, I have put about 63k on it in the last 4 years. Being as though I'm going to go start working on another degree next year and won't have a full time job, maybe I should just pull the 'Bird in to the garage for a long weekend and replace the head and intake gaskets as "preventative maintenance". What do you guys think? The car runs like a Swiss watch, never misses a beat, but I feel like I neglected it a little all the time I was working on my truck last year.

So is it worth the time and effort it takes to pull the heads, or should I just assume that because I've made it to 96,000 miles (much of that not "light" driving), I'm good for the duration?

Josh Keady

1994 Super Coupe ('93 5.0L swap), 1990 Tbird 3.8L, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1972 F-100 SportCustom 4x4, 1970 Chevy Custom Camper / 20
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 09:01 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Mine went around 110k miles. I think it you make an effort to keep the cooling system in 100% condition, you make the posibility of having head gasket issues less. I am pretty sure mine went because the tube to the overflow popped off, in 110+ degree heat. It eventually didn't have any fluid because it pushed it out, and didn't have any to suck back in when it cooled. This happened when my wife went to visit her family for a few weeks. By the time I was able to catch it, it was too late. My wife didn't watch the temp gauge or whatever it does with one of them is in the critical section (digidash, and I don't know what it does because I have never seen it over temp, under oil pressure, or under charging).

I don't know that I would do the head gaskets as a maintanence type job, but if you have the time and the means now, it isn't that big of a job, but not one I would take on just because I have time and couldn't for the next year or so. I worked on mine after work for a week, 2 hours a night, then 3 hours on Saturday to complete it. I was working 12 hour days and had another vehicle, so I did it that way instead of taking a day off. Half of each night was getting stuff out and putting it back, and cleaning up, and trying to figure out where I left off the night before.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Pedal Faster

Send a message via AIM to Josh_Keady
I've had the top end apart on my and other RWD 3.8s in the past, so I know I can get that done in a day, and if some horrible fate should befall me, I can always drive my truck. I flushed the cooling system and replaced the thermostat about 3 years ago come this Summer, so I will definitely do that soon, regardless. I'll just have to see what I feel like when my 4 day weekend comes up here in a couple of weeks

Thanks for the reply.

Josh Keady

1994 Super Coupe ('93 5.0L swap), 1990 Tbird 3.8L, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1972 F-100 SportCustom 4x4, 1970 Chevy Custom Camper / 20
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 06:17 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
If you do decide to do them as maintenance, make sure you do them right. Have the heads resurfaced and get new head bolts. Otherwise you might end up with a blown head gasket anyway.

Mike

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 06:35 PM

btw what brand O2 sensors did you use?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 01:35 AM

My opinion, drive her until they blow. If it runs good now, why bother. Sounds like you have a backup vehicle. "Don't fix it, if it aint broke." That's the way I feel about it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in