Well here is the new plan. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

Well here is the new plan.

Well my plans have changed now. The 351W that I have has too much work for me to do at this time. In a little over a year I will be punching out of the Marine Corps and going to my house in MN. So I plan on doing up the 3.8 for now wich will be alittle cheaper to set up. I am getting stage 3 Morana heads( Port, Polish, 5 angle valve job) and some roller rockers. I've heard that youcan get some good lift off of some 1.8s. I thought that my 38 was blown but i took that heads off this week end and the heads were warped. The head gaskets were blown of coarse. After I had the heads off I grabed the main pully and turned the engine both ways and yanked up and down on it too. it turns very nice and i cant feel any thing binding up. the crank is tight too so at least something is working out. I just can't wait to drive my Bird again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 08:00 AM

I personally would install a new camshaft with those heads and get the 1.73 roller rockers to save some $$$ It only takes about 2-3 hours more work to swap a cam in when you have the engine tore down that far.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

I was just reading up on that. 4.2 cam????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 08:07 AM

Nope, the 4.2L cam is only a touch better than our stock cam......
few questions
#1 are you getting better valve springs installed on the heads
#2 are you looking for maximum power or great all around power

Morana has a good selection of cams and so does rpm-mustang.com
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

I want to go and spank some cars. I am going with twin turbos after i put some stronger pistons in. So I want to get all the cam and other stuff ironed out so I can have some decent n/a power. I am getting the springs
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 03:33 PM
Pedal Faster

Send a message via AIM to Josh_Keady
A 351 rebuild is too much work so you're putting twin turbos on a 3.8? Have ya' priced that yet? How much boost will you run?

Josh Keady

1994 Super Coupe ('93 5.0L swap), 1990 Tbird 3.8L, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1972 F-100 SportCustom 4x4, 1970 Chevy Custom Camper / 20
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 09:56 PM

Here....

check this website out
http://www.youngsperformance.com/
if you are doing it yourself the 351W would be less work than a twin turbo set up, although it would be sweet!!!Keep us posted on the progress. Good luck!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

Well this is why:

1: I want to drive my bird!!!!!!

2: I have alittle over a year left till I am moving.

3: All I need for my 3.8 are the heads i'm getting a cam to start out so i can drive it.

4: Turbos at this place that I got my Head for my mitts are $250 they garentee all of there stuff.

5: I am a welder and all of the fabrication is going to be done by me, but for now I just want to drive my baby. Thats why its faster and cheaper right now.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 12:36 AM

Unhappy sorry to hear

sorry to hear your not swapping to 351W your missing out on a bunch of fun if you say your a welder then this swap could be easily accomplished by you if you know what your doing for the windsor but tt will be pretty kewl on a 3.8 keep us posted.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

wellll

like it says in my sig "I don't know what to do."

my wife is getting pissed at me because i keep changing my mind.
the problum is that i see how much it is going to cost and it is out
of my budget right now. i was look ing to keep the 3.8 but i took off
the oil pan the other day and i have some spun rod b-rings.

i thought $h!t! well we were driving around and I stopped at this new
place that i haven't been to yet. The guy has a 5.0 HO from a state troopers
mustang. Has a compleat 5.0 t-bird (92) with all the mounts headers wiring
computer.....for about $700 all togther. I was kind of learry for the engine coming
out of a state troops car I.E. they beat the crap out of them. but the guy has given
me a hand full of papers on the engine. it has about 75,000 on it.
the trooper wrecked the car bad not so long after they got the car.

i looked under the valve cover and the thing is clean. all of the parts are there! I could not pass up that deal. So shortly after or at the end of Jan I will start a 5.0 swap. after that gose to the 4444 house I will put the 351w that I know is good
in the car. I will have the time then. well i hope that nothing else gose skrewy on me between now and then. It looks like i will have a easy swap ahead of me.
can't wait to turn the wench!!!!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 11:24 PM

good deal :)

I would go with that 302 if i was you it will be more dependable and you can way higher lift cams and still have if on the street with a roller motor i talked to a guy the other the day that had a 570+ lift cam and was driving it daily with no troubles said it was dependable and even if you keep if stock it will still be faster than what you have right now and way more dependable then than a 3.8. Just my input
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

Hey there jb thanks for your input....
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 01:49 PM

Don't know about you, but I do feel sorry for ya...Good lick on the move...I'm going to start the 351 TT..I have the motor coming out of a '78(can't remember what car), but my neighbor got it and rebuilt it before he put it in his truck(ran it for 2 months). It didn't have enough power to move his big rig so he got a 429 he's putting in and he's giving me the 351W. So I just need to get the rest of the equip and have my friends get his welder ready and then the balls are going to start rolling...

Wes
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Thats what i'm talkin about!!!!!!!! you have been looking at the page huh? www.toohighpsi.com

I still have a year till I move back to the frozen tundra. thats ok because i have a heated shop at my house. I also have a free 351w at my house up there in the artic circle. I have a 351w overhaul gasket set for it down here. I have a 351w sitting in my car port that needs to be done up....don't have the time or money right now.

I think that the 5.0 will be good for a while.....until I have all the parts for a TT set up.....shoot i can TT the 5.0 for now if I wanted. You need to talk to JB...he has done it the way that i want to do my 351w. Another reason that i chose to wait was that i am going to drive my 79 buick skylark that has a torq monster in it (350"rocket") while I do up my T-bird.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 02:51 PM

Well... to you...My car don't run right now(blew the v6 head gasket) so I have to wait a little...I'm just going to fix the 3.8, until I have all the parts for the turbos...Unless I feel the urge to put the 351W in stock just to be a little faster...But when I get all the twin turbo parts..I'm gonna go crazy...and yes..I have read the too high psi pages several times...Some of those other cars have quite a bit of power too...

Wes
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 04:08 PM

where in minnesota will you be living?
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 04:13 PM

smokin rice patties,

I'm getting that you have a problem with commitment.

Twin turbos would be nice to see done. Why not with a 4.2L? Would there be a technical problem with that?
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Jimbo I am from Duluth. And yes you are right about the commitment part ther soop. i am sticking with the 5.0! it cheaper....i don't have to buy a hood...more power potental. Hey why dose everyone want to stick there tongue out at me by the way???? After the income taxes come in i am going to get my stuff....i have the 6, wiring harness, mounts,computer,engine,exhaust all out of the car. i am just about ready for the 5.0. Right know i am ironning out the little stuff on the car right now. i fixed the squeak thump boom in the door. my door closes perfectly!! there are other issues with my car. i can't wait to get the income taxes!!
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 10:29 AM

Talking

You arent the only one im definetly waiting on mine going to get me a new set of rims probably the ones from upgrade if he still has them

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in