Soooo Rancherlee... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
jim

Soooo Rancherlee...

when you gonna try to make the MAC longtubes work? passenger side shouldnt be a problem...i think a torch and some pounding will make the driver side work...i want you to try first since your such an entrepeneur around here...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 11:54 PM

It will happen, possibly this spring if I have the funds.........
Things ahead of the long tube headers
#1 get the vortech installed and operational
#2 Purchase Metal Matrix driveshaft and install along with SC 1/2 shafts
#3 Purchase 3000rpm PI stall converter
#4 Get long tube headers.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
jim

just imagine the off the line improvement with the supercharger, 3000 stall tq, and longtubes!!! can you say sub 2 sec. 60ft? not to mention the DS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 12:56 AM

I'm hoping for a 2.0 60ft. with the supercharger and stall converter, and all the math points to a [email protected] in the 1/4

My 2.5 60fts with all my mods suck compared to my STOCK 2.4 60's. A stall convert would drop OVER .5 seconds off my times easy (with my current setup). A Stall convert should be on Anyones list who want to install a cam.... 3.8L stangs with ported stuff like me have droped .6-.9 seconds off there 1/4's with a 3000rpm stall converter over a stock one, That a HUGE difference.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 01:29 PM

vortech

How much did ur vortech run you rancher? I didn't even know they made them for our v6's
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 02:03 PM

well they don't make it for our car, but they do for our engine. its the 3.8L mustang kit, I'm going to find out what needs to be changed and make a few minor modification for it to work on our cars, then offer those "extras" to others on here that wish to use the kit. I got mine off Ebay used for 1700$
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 04:09 PM

Rancher, the biggest problem you're going to run into with the Vortech install will be the air intake to the supercharger. It's the black elbow piece that fits behind the sc. I had clearance problems with it not fitting because of the strut tower. Also the supercharger will hit the top of the hood, but just barely. Oh yeah, the air conditioning mod is a pita too.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 07:20 PM

Yep, those are the 3 things I though would be hard to do, I'm going to build a BETTER intake tube for the supercharger and also Modify the A/C lines and write down the specs so I can build more AC lines if need be fore other people. The guy I bought my kit from gave me the Aftermarket AC line that vortech sells for the mustang, is ALL rubber and it should work well. I'm not too worried about the Hood, Nothing a little creative notching can't fix, and if the strut tower is restricting the airflow TOO much I'm gunna have to notch that also and weld in some custom bent metal. I'm luck that I have a FULLY equipt machine shop where I work.

BTW: did you get your car up and running yet?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 09:21 PM

I have everything tore apart and am building the 4.2 up from scratch. Things will move fast once I get my rods, I have my pistons and cam already. Heads and intake have been ported & polished, and block has been bored, I guess I'll have a 4.3! I'll be picking up a new MAF, TB, chip and injectors, but I can put that on once the engine is in the car. I have a coupon for a free tune at one of the local shops, and I'll be using that once I have everthing done. My vortech is fine, my problem had nothing to do with that. I blew two pistons in my old engine. I believe bad timing did it. I pulled the tranny with the engine, and now have a J-mod transmission ready to go in. I'm not expecting a finished product anytime soon, as I am going to change U-joints, rear end gears, brakes, and shocks. Once that is done I need to do some body work on the rear bumper and trunk.

There are just so many things that come up on a project like this like a new radiator and tranny cooler. There's always something to replace or upgrade. It never ends, it's like an addiction. I hope I won't turn out to be one of those guys that is always modding and working on their cars and never driving it!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
jim

yo man...fill us in with some pics of the progress...i would really like to see how the project is going...
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 03:57 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

and also you will be able to safely go above 115mph with an aftermarket converter...according to Ford they set the governer because the converter blows up at 115. yikes. also, 13.8 is awesome. That I'll have to see. do you think a blown 4.2 can have more potential than a sc? what is the most PSI a vortech can put out and what is the most a 4.2 can hold, that is, CAN hold AFTER you mod it to hold it. And will a vortech fit freely under the hood with a mach style fiberglass hood? it doesn't look like it does but who knows...thought I'd ask. I gotta stop spending my money on suspension and start saving up for this stuff. I probably won't be doing the trq conv. though because in Jan I'll be getting my hands on a 5 spd hopefully. But right now I'm wasting money on tokicos and endlinks to level out my rear end with the front (I have Eibachs).
-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 08:43 PM

My 3.8 with only 8psi boost will be WELL above the power output of my stock supercoupe, I'll have about 50 more rwhp than a stock SC, about the same amount of torque, and the N/A 3.8L car is around 300# lighter than an SC.

Looking a the V1 s-trim compressor map it SHOULD flow enough air provide 14psi boost on a built 4.2L, good for around 500hp @ the crank If one wants that mch power!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 01:19 AM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

I WANTS THAT MUC POWER! But I mean....which has more POTENTIAL. cause the sc can get more than 500hp can't it? and the 4.2 sc probably could too. if both were done to full potential which would win? and what would be the price per hp for each...like engine mod price. Cause I'm kinda torn between sc or 4.2 sc. the vortech is 3,000 bucks. the sc engine COMES with the sc, but they have intercoolers for 1140 or so and ported superchargers with 900 so it would probably even out. I'm just curious is all. This is a big interest of mine.
-Thomas

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 02:01 AM
Cougar Pilot

Basically you have to decide between Roots-type and centrifugal supercargers. You need to know what's best for you. The 4.2L would be benefited by a splitport intake, and the extra stroke. I'd say if a Super Coupe engine and a 4.2L supercharged engine were built up about the same the bigger displacement egine would win everytime. Although the Eaton blower produces all the torque from the get go.

TCCoA, there's no better way.
BlackCat94 - The Revolution.
1994 XR7 - Intake Tube, LMAF, March Underdrive Pulleys, J-Modded '00 Mustang Trans, Marauder T/C,
TruBendz 2.5" SS True Duals, Apten Flip Chip, FRPP 4.10s & Trac Lock, etc.

[email protected] with 3.27 gears
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 07:21 AM

a Roots blown car like a supercoupe is More fun on the street, Instant torque off the line which means serious tire burning power and VERY fast off the line if you have traction. A vortech blown car is A better car for the track, it makes most of its power on the top end and you only have stock like torque at 2000rpm of the line so it is easier to maintain traction. The vortech boost start to come in at about 2500rpm and builds to it peak boost at your redline RPM.

Supercoupe supercharger (eaton M90) takes more HP to Make HP than a Vortech.

It would be hard to guess the outcome of a race with a Eaton Vs. Vortech powered car both would be very fast and Coy Miller and another guy have piloted Supercoupes into the 11's, I'm hoping down the road I can get my Vortech powered car into the 11's also, WITHOUT removing any of the interior.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 12:16 PM
Cougar Pilot

What do you think about an Eaton for a daily driven car in the winter though? I don't think I want all that torque off the line trying to go up an icy hill or what not. Seems to me it would just make me spin easier, quicker. With a Vortech if you kept it below 2,500rpm then you'd still be working with naturally aspirated numbers so I think it would be easier to drive at least up to that rpm. Does that make sense to anyone but me?

TCCoA, there's no better way.
BlackCat94 - The Revolution.
1994 XR7 - Intake Tube, LMAF, March Underdrive Pulleys, J-Modded '00 Mustang Trans, Marauder T/C,
TruBendz 2.5" SS True Duals, Apten Flip Chip, FRPP 4.10s & Trac Lock, etc.

[email protected] with 3.27 gears
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 02:37 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Absolutely I know what you mean, less torque means better slippy traction. Or you could just get those spikey wheels like in James Bond. Oh wait...those aren't real. On another note, maybe I'll be going with the 4.2 afterall. Just a heck of a lot easier to swap. I just wish I could find a cheap one. Maybe I'll just swap the crank and port stuff while I'm down there. And Rancher...which do you think would perform better with a supercharger, split-port or really done up single-port? I was thinking split-port because you could have it switch runners just as the sc kicks in maybe and it I think it would really make a difference with the supercharger and split-port but thought I'd ask the man with the plan. But then if you've got a high stall trq conv. then that would be above what the runners would switch at, or right on it, which would kind of defeat the idea of the split-port. Oh well, thanks. I'm really liking this discussion.
-Thomas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in