Ideas Please: Any Suggestions Appreciated - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Ideas Please: Any Suggestions Appreciated

Hello Board,

Need some suggestions. This is the situation. After a head gasket failure, I rebuilt the motor in my brother's 89.

During the buildup, it got a windage tray, fresh rings & bearings, block honed and decked, new timing chain, heads ported with factory valves turned down to 7mm, combustion chambers valve relieved and heads shaved to achieve 9.75 to 1 compression, 1.8 roller rockers installed with shorter Comp pushrods, intakes ported, phenolic Intake and TB spacers made by me installed, TB halfshafted and blended, Kirhban regulator installed, MSD wires and coil installed, ASP underdrives installed, 96 Mustang headers jethot coated in place of factory cast manifolds, Flowmaster Force II exhaust.

I cut out the cats and drove it to the exhaust shop after the assembly to have the headers attached to the rest of the exhaust. We fired it up the night before and after a period of crappy idle/sputter the motor smoothened up.
When I drove it to the shop the next morning, it ran ok but would occasionallly stutter and surge while driving and wanted to stall a couple of times while stopped at a light.
With the exhaust on, it ran fine for the rest of the day until I floored it passing a car. As soon as I let of the gas, the car began to surge and stumble and would not run good the whole way home. The next morning, it wouldn't start and I have had no luck getting it running since.

Here is what I have looked at:

1. Spark Plugs- Seem to be very wet after you turn it over, like the gas is not being fired.
2. Ignition- Appears to be giving spark.
3. Checked fuses and links and ECM solenoid.
4. Fuel pressure- Adjusted from 40 - 30 psi with no effect.
5. Tried Changing Coils- No effect.
6. Replaced O2 sensors.
7. Replaced Water Temp Sensor.
8. Replace TFI module.

She will sputter, but will not start. Throw out some ideas guys. I know I must be missing something, but I am drawing a blank.
I tried checking it for codes, but it tells me that all the sensors; MAP, Coolant, TB position, Intake Temp etc. are out of range.

Thanks Dudes.

Branko
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 01:55 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to PJ-4.2L
Check your ground-- specially the one located at the driver's side motor mount. Next, make sure all of your harnesses are in good shape and that the connectors are all seated well.

My last guess is your fuel pump. Get a pressure gauge and see what it reads.

Welcome to the TCCoA.

PJ

PJ- 4.2L -
" 'DIY' was not meant for women."
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Thanks PJ,
I was a memeber before the crash. Just had to re-register.

All harnesses look good and ground appears intact. I have a railmount pressure gauge and I have tried adjusting the pressure from 30 - 40 psi, no effect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 03:22 PM
PostWhore

You say "appears to be giving spark"... no confirmation? If it's firing and has fuel going into the cylinders it's a timing issue. Loose distributor or connection to it? You wouldn't be the first to forget to snug a bolt down on a distributor. I did before you anyway
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Doodaa,
I pulled a wire and grounded it. It made spark. I have checked the distributor and even tried rotating it to see if it made a diff. No effect.
The thing that bugs me is that if you turn it over for 10 secs and then pull the plugs, they are soaking wet. I thought for sure that this was a no spark indicator, but when I checked the wires, they had spark.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 04:03 PM
PostWhore

Hmmm, maybe the timing chain jumped? Not likely I know but you definitely have spark and fuel.... only thing left to get it to run is that they're all there at the same time.... in the proper proportions. Could the EEC have gone bad? It opens the injectors right? ... so probably not... almost has to be something mechanical.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

I wondered about the ECM too as it says that all the sensors are bad all at once. I just don't want to cough up huge bucks to find out it is not the problem either.
I really appreciate the help dudes.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 05:53 PM
PostWhore

Didn't I read a post around here somewhere that someone got an ECU for $1 from the junkyard? Beirutsfinest maybe? I'm old and my memory isn't so good anymore but it's worth a search...
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

What do you consider old?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 06:48 PM
PostWhore

In the case of my memory seems it started around 40.... You know what they say, memory is the second thing to go. I forget what the first one is....

It was danman - http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.p...unkyard+dollar

Philly, New Joisey - I was close.

Last edited by doodaa; 11-21-2002 at 06:54 PM.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Well today I found a **** load of gas in the oil pan. A backfire must have blown a hole through the intake gasket. I got to pull it apart again.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Intakes are dry on 3.8's fuel must be getting past rings. What would cause the injectors to stick open?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Good news fellow bird lovers. The beast is back. It was the damn TPS. I replaced that piece of **** and she runs like a swiss watch. Thanks to all for the suggestions.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 10:55 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to PJ-4.2L
Dangit, I should've guesses that... Glad it's running!

PJ

PJ- 4.2L -
" 'DIY' was not meant for women."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in