exhaust related - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

exhaust related

I currently have the flowmaster Cat-Back exhaust on my car and was thinking about taking the rear mufflers off and running some 2 1/2 or 3 inch exhaust tips off of the section where the exhaust splits into two pipes. I have the resonator and that is like one big *** muffler. It should help maintain the lowend tq. Has anyone tried running cat back with just the flowmaster resonator?

2001 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4x4

1994 Toyota Pickup 4x4
Cam, Header, 36x12.50's
email: [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 08:39 PM

That what mine is pretty much, I CUSTOM installed a Dual 2.25" in single 3" out flowmaster 50 inplace of my resonator with NO cats and it sounds pretty good, BUT there is not enough back pressure (I OVER did the exhaust on pourpose to future proof for the supercharger) I LOST about .2-.3 in the 1/4mile which SUCKS.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 12:11 PM

I've been thinking of going that same route with my exhaust. I've talked to a lot of people and they said it sounds really good.

I haven't heard anyone mentioning loss of low end torque. You would think that opening up the exhaust would improve you 1/4 mile times, not make them drop like that.

Anyone else with a similar exhaust setup or know much about it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 10:52 PM

Anyone?
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 11:15 PM
CatBird Creator

Send a message via AIM to ChromeTip
actually, I've got a pretty kick *** system on my car. i got it custom done. i replaced the pipes after the cats with 2.25 piping. i dont have a 3rd cat by the way.....but at the resonator, i put a dual in/single out flowmaster 50 series. there is only one dual in/single out flowmaster. it has 2.25 dual in, 3" single out. my exhaust shop just put reducers on because i wanted 2.25 all the way through the system. then it runs a single 2.25 pipe back, split y-pipe after the differential and back to dual 2.25 chrome tips. i noticed a difference and let me tell ya......she purrs when she idles and roars when she's under throttle......just like a cougar should!!

Kyle

~Legendary Catbird Creator~

Now owner of 1994 Thunderbird LX...where do i start?
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 11:22 PM

Me and my exhaust guy came up with the same idea. 50 series in place of the resonator and staight pipe all the way out.

Why did you run 2.25? We were thinking of 2.5 to 2.25 out the back or 3 to 2.5 out the back.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 11:29 PM
CatBird Creator

well i dont have an sc, so there isnt as much pressure going back. i wanted to not only save some low-end torque, but the biggest reason was so that i didnt get that ricey sound that happens when you go from a smaller pipe to a bigger pipe when the exhaust gas "mushrooms" and creates resonation. i've heard it on a mn12 before (glowing escape's) and it sounds nasty. so i decided to play it safe and go with the 2.25 inch. since you have an sc though, you could go bigger. just my 2 cents.....

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 11:39 PM

3 or 2.5

Thanks for the advice. The only thing I'm fighting with is whether or not to go 3 to 2.5 or 2.5 to 2.25.

If I run the bigger and it's too loud or I loose too much torque we were thinking of putting some glass packs at the end.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 01:07 AM

I need to replace my stock resonator. Which is better to get, the 50 series flowmaster muffler or the flowmaster resonator (#15100)?
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 12:17 AM
CatBird Creator

i would go with the 50 series personally, but since it hangs about an inch lower than the stock resonator, go with the flowmaster resonator. it's quieter than the 50 series, but since you have lowered the car, i'd play it safe and go with the flowmaster resonator.

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Chrome Tip:

Did you notice any loss in low end torque?

I am getting the rear mufflers taken off and getting 2.5 tips put on. Do you think that going from a 2.25 exhaust pipe to an 2.5 exhaust tip will make it sound ricey.

2001 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4x4

1994 Toyota Pickup 4x4
Cam, Header, 36x12.50's
email: [email protected]
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 11:28 AM

Lightbulb Maybe this will help a few people

Go here then click on "the right sized exhaust pipe for the correct HP"

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/exhaust/index.html#
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 02:48 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

totally off subject...

hey bagged90sc, got any pics of your car? that actually looks like a nice bagged bird, kinda rare to see those.
-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 04:42 PM

thanks.....i will probably submit pics to Scott at baggedbirds.com by the end of the year. i havent had time to finish installing my new bags in the front. i had cylinders in the front for a short while, plus i have to find an area where i can take pics with a nice backdrop
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 06:03 PM

Chrome Tip's car i dont think had any loss really.. ive driven it with the new exhaust and an U/D pully, it sounds awesome, and it takes off real well... i had a little low end loss, nothing dramatic; but my plans for my exhaust for it to be v8 ready (but those plans have been pushed back a ways), thats why i didnt get a resonator or anything. its only ricey in the midrange of rpms, before and after its loud as hell and sounds pretty good. i think im going to do a little experimentation and throw a glasspack in as a resonator. thatll be a little interesting.... main reason why im doing it is cause its cheap and curiousity. my exhaust is 2 1/4" y'ed into a single pipe (damn gas tank), then y'ed right before the differential to two flowmaster 40 series. i got it all done for $330 with the mufflers, oh yea, its catless. i did however, notice a good amount of high end gain. not really a lot more power overall, but its making more earlier and its making more power higher in the rpm band. once i get rid of the raspyness, itll be great. oh, and once again, i highly reccomend Chrome Tip's exhaust. -greg

p.s. i've had people ask if its a 5.0.... thats only cause they heard the idle tho. its definitly deep and rumbly, and could be mistaken for a v8 at idle, but i still think it sounds like a 6.. maybe cause i know its a 6. i gotta find that 1/4 of a motor ford forgot to put in there....
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 08:35 PM
CatBird Creator

yea, like greg said, i didnt notice any low end loss. definately top end though gained, but then i put on the u/d pullies and it went up more. sure, not much, nothing to write home about, but the gain was nice.

super6ter - if you go to the 2.5 tips, you'll be fine. i've heard that before on a gm 3.8, and it sounded fine. just dont put on a 6" tip with leds, and you'll be fine. gosh darn ricers......lol

Kyle

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 10:05 PM
jim

hey ChromeTip

i would like to hear how your car sounds...you must get an audio clip! i was thinking about going with the same setup but i didnt...i went with the dynomax catback then ditched the resonator and welded up a dynomax superturbo dual in single out...i want to take the mufflers off at the rear but just havent gotten to it yet...i would then have a similar setup like yours except the dynomax instead of the flowmaster...
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 11:19 PM

chrometip....

by any chance does your exhaust sound like this or come close to this? I would like to get this sound. This is off the tbscec for sale page. the sound clip is in the middle of the page(click on the idle and rollout link)

http://pub29.ezboard.com/fthunderbir...icID=452.topic
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 11:22 PM

well.. minues that whine... its pretty close. in my opinion... i think there is a little diference in pitch that could just be the quality of the recording. -greg
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 04:39 PM
CatBird Creator

yea, actually it sounds pretty damn close to that, minus that whine as greg said. i think mine's a little bit deeper though, and at idle, it's not as throaty. dont get me wrong, it still it throaty, but just have a deep, quiet hum when you listen to that, and thats about what it sounds like. i dont have anything to get a sound clip up, but maybe i can find someone with something.....i dunno, lol!

Kyle

post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 11:48 PM
Pedal Faster

Send a message via AIM to Josh_Keady
http://www.wizzards.net/keady/jkexhaust.wav

'90 3.8 N/A, stock cats, resonator deleted, custom Y-pipes, 2.5" all around, dual Flowmaster 40s (NOT Deltaflow.) http://www.wizzards.net/keady/images/modex.jpg

As a side note, 1983 Thunderbird 5.0L EFI, cats but nothing else:

http://www.wizzards.net/keady/tbird50.wav

Josh Keady

1994 Super Coupe ('93 5.0L swap), 1990 Tbird 3.8L, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1972 F-100 SportCustom 4x4, 1970 Chevy Custom Camper / 20
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 12:27 AM

hey thanks. that really helped. now i know what it will sound like with no resonator with my flows. i can hear the drone, but it sounds good.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 12:45 AM
Pedal Faster

Send a message via AIM to Josh_Keady
The cats help, quality hangers w/bushings, well-built Y-pipes, it's really not that bad. The only time you really 'notice' it in the cabin is when you hit 4th gear right around 40 (about 1400 RPM I think) or when you are accelerating on the freeway without downshifting, I guess when you're loading up the motor at low RPM. It sounds really awesome up high, though. Not too much low-end torque loss, and loads more in the upper range.

Josh Keady

1994 Super Coupe ('93 5.0L swap), 1990 Tbird 3.8L, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1972 F-100 SportCustom 4x4, 1970 Chevy Custom Camper / 20
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 06:01 AM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to CamellionCat
guys what im thinking is, right now i have gutted cats, and two glasspacks, but i want more sound, what do you guys think about getting the flowmaster cat-back and getting rid of the resonator with a Y pipe, and just keeping the flowmaster cat-back mufflers. will removing the resonator affect my low end torque???? What do you guys think would be better keeping my stock exhaust with gutted cats, and putting two flowmaster 40's as tips and getting rid of the resonator???????

Marvin M.

95- Cougar- SOLD (in loving memory)
Mods-17x9 cobra r's,H&R springs,KYB shocks & struts,removed air silencer,9"K&N cone,gutted cats,dual glasspack setup,cooling fan switch, B&M 24,000 tranny cooler.

Back in the game!!!
97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC-opal opalescent with black interior, upgraded with a 98 tranny, 18x9 black saleen speedstars, LMS dual tip mufflers, 5% tints all around.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marvin M.
guys what im thinking is, right now i have gutted cats, and two glasspacks, but i want more sound, what do you guys think about getting the flowmaster cat-back and getting rid of the resonator with a Y pipe, and just keeping the flowmaster cat-back mufflers. will removing the resonator affect my low end torque???? What do you guys think would be better keeping my stock exhaust with gutted cats, and putting two flowmaster 40's as tips and getting rid of the resonator???????

Marvin M.

Ok, just keep the cats, or take them off and put a resonator on.. other wise it gets ratty in the midrange (i'm proof, dont worry, ill fix it)... my set up is no cats, no res, 2.25" dual (not trues), and two flowmaster 40 series... i've noticed minimal lowend loss.. it still squaks every now and then off the line but it really gets moving once you hit about 25 mph.. 0 - 25 seems almost the same to me. with my setup and i notice very minimal lowend gone, if you keep the cats, youll prolly notice almost none. -greg
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 09:17 PM

i've still got my stock cats with 2.25" true duals into glass packs... it sounds pretty good and at idle it's really low and growls.... it didn't do that when i first for it though, kinda made more of an air just escaping rasp. Certain times it starts to break up and get high pitched after 4 grand but it doesn't do it all the time, and it doesn't do it when i'm racing.... which btw i won't be doing for a while.... auto accident **car is fine from that** but lawyers are getting involved.... bad times. also something very bad is going on with my tranny and i am praying to something **anything** that i don't have to have a rebuild or replace the tranny..... replace tranny = junk car.... not enough money to replace a tranny. alright i'm ranting... back to exhaust lol
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 05:38 AM
Veteran Poster

hey spike you still have your resonator????? we have the same setup the only difference is that i have gutted cats, and i want more sound so i want to get rid of the resonator. Do any of you have a sound file on the flowmaster cat-back system???? I want to know how it sounds like before i buy it, and get screwed.

thanks for the help!!!
Marvin M.

Mods-17x9 cobra r's,H&R springs,KYB shocks & struts,removed air silencer,9"K&N cone,gutted cats,dual glasspack setup,cooling fan switch, B&M 24,000 tranny cooler.

Back in the game!!!
97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC-opal opalescent with black interior, upgraded with a 98 tranny, 18x9 black saleen speedstars, LMS dual tip mufflers, 5% tints all around.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 07:52 AM

i have no resonator.... how can i have my stock resonator with true duals.... i don't see how. Yeah i've thought about gutting my cat's.... but there is SOO much more that needs to be done.... at this very moment i feel like my car's falling apart. I'm having my dad bring my car to Aamco to have it looked at today.... I really hope there isn't anything seriously wrong with it....
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 03:59 PM
Veteran Poster

thats why your glasspacks sound more, im going to take off my resonator and see what happens, im not going to loose anymore low-end torque right????? i mean i already have gutted cats.

Marvin M.

Back in the game!!!
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 06:34 PM

I didn't lose any that i could feel from doing my exhaust, all i noticed was more power.... thas about it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in