4.2 crank on 3.8? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

4.2 crank on 3.8?

Just wondering about wether it would be possible to put in a 4.2 f-150 crank on a 3.8. Because from what I understand, the 3.8 actually has a bigger diameter cylinder, it's just that the 4.2 has a longer stroke and actually a smaller diameter cylinder, so my theory is, and this is just a theory I'd appreciate some input on this, is that with a 4.2 crank, if it fits, would add maybe 50-70 hp? I know that's a big jump, but that's what the major difference is between a 3.8 and a 4.2...that and the split port intake, which I've heard from rancherlee that a extensively modified 3.8 intake can outperform a split port. so I was just wondering about that, if it's possible I think I may do that and put in dished pistons to rpepare for a possible vortech, but I'll decide on that when I get there, and port and polish the intakes and block. Thanks in advance.
-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 06:11 PM

ive heard the 3.8 and 4.2 have the same bore but the 4.2 has a longer stroke. -greg
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 08:31 PM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 1WLD BRD
I've got a Ford catolog...

And it shows the bores are the same, just the stroke is different which is done by the Rods length. The 4.2 crank should bolt in with no problems.

My Cougar Domain
XBox Live: cn1WLD BRD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 09:52 PM

A 4.2L crank WILL bolt it BUT you need a 2001' 3.8L Mustang oil pan to clear the crank which is around 60-70$ currently, you ALSO need to use the 4.2L Rods and Pistons (unless you have a 96-97 then your stock rods are the same as 4.2L rods)

If you stay singleport expect a 20hp 30ft torque gain from the increased displacement. If you use the Splitport heads expect 210hp 250tq when its done. Singleports need some major porting to out do splitports but they can (my heads OUT FLOW stock splitports. AND FULLY ported singleports and splitports are pretty equal in the power department right now.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

well maybe I'll do that instead of an engine swap. I would probably need the solid rubber motor mounts for a precaution for the oil pan too right? I'm kinda torn between doing this and putting in a sc engine. the sc engine deffinetely has more potential without a doubt. but it's really hard to find one affordably or at all for that matter. so this crank, possibly reground and knife edged, plus a whole lot of porting and polishing and valve jobbing would actually make for some nice power. In the spring I may be getting my hands on a 5 speed manual from a sc that has bad syncros in 2nd gear but it's fixable, has a new clutch. that would make me a manual 3.8. weird. Anyone ever done that to anyone's knowledge? I'll probably just end up going with a sc engine, but it's always nice to think about these things just for the fun of it right?
-Thomas

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 08:06 AM

well... how about stroking a sc motor? i bet thatd get some real nice power.... -greg
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 08:31 AM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 1WLD BRD
I'm in the process of the 5 speed swap

Just need to get a clutch and rebuild the motor and drop it in.

My Cougar Domain
XBox Live: cn1WLD BRD
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Actually I asked that question on the sc forum. they said you'd need forged pistons and rods. also the crappy crank doesn't hold up so dr. frankencuggie I think made his own 2K one.
-Thomas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in