Underdrive Pulley's - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
13's or Mildly Broken

Underdrive Pulley's

I know they work - many people have said so. But who has them on their 3.8L N/A? Will the same pulley's from a 96/97 work on my 91? I want to play with my 3.8L a bit and make it a bit quicker without spending too much money and the pulleys would be a good start.

How hard was it to install? Just need basic tools? How long did it take you to install them? And where should I get them? I've seen Super Coupe Performance has a 2 piece and I know other companies make pulleys, but which for the 3.8L?

Thanks for any help. Just trying to think of a x-mas present for my 'Bird. Last year was the hood, this year may be pulleys

-Andy "Melon"

1994 Thunderbird SC 3.8L Supercharged
1999 Crown Victoria P71 4.6
2000 Explorer 5.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 11:39 PM

well.. kyle put u/d pullies on his cougar, and ive driven it... and well. it helps. he pulls more than my car.. i raced him... the u/d is of course the best bang for the buck, and he said all needed was some sockets and a rubber mallet to knock off the old one, then he tossed the other one on.. i forget all the details, but it was easy he said. -greg
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 04:39 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Andy....

All the pulleys are the same. I have ASP on mine. You feel a little something, any little bit helps! I've got the 2 piece set on mine, one for the crank and the other for the alternator. The alternator one really isn't necessary and you need an impact wrench to get it off.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 06:46 PM

Me too...

I also have the ASP pullies. I bought both pullies, but after upgrading my alt. I stopped using the Alt. pulley, and only have the crank pulley, which is where most of the gain comes from anyway. In hindsight it would have been cheaper to have just bought the crank pulley. Now I have an ASP alt. pulley just sitting around.

I was pleased with the gains, for the money, from the ASP crank pulley (best bang for the buck).

Easy to install. I just pulled up the fan shroud (so I could get at the fan), removed the fan, then removed the old crank pulley (as Joe said I did not need an impact wrench for the crank pulley bolts, but I did need one for the alt.)and slapped on the new ASP crank pulley (with a little lock tite) and re-installed everything else in reverse order. P.S. If you do decide to install the ASP alt. pulley disconnect the battery (I learnt this the hard way a few years ago )

Good luck
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 01:18 PM

Has anyone had the pulleys long enough to find out how durable they are/ how long they last? Of course driving conditions are gonna play in, but under like basic streetcar conditions.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 02:43 PM

there shouldnt be any durablility problems.. i mean, how long have the stock pullies been on everyone's cars? i have 146,000 miles on mine.... i highly doubt people have had a problem pully durability... they sping and guide a belt, there isnt much that can go wrong froma solid piece of metal like that. -greg
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 07:32 PM

I've had mine on for a few months now and i can tell you it dropped .15 off my 1/8 mile, which is about .2 in the 1/4. It wasn't hard to do at all.... there are 4 bolts holding the crank pulley on there... you'll need an extension to get to em' though, and you may want to have someone else there to hold the crank to stop the engine from turning over and to add resistance to you getting the bolts loose.... they CAN be a ***** if the car's ever been worked on and a mechanic tightened it back up cause they prolly used an impact... you can feel the car pulling a little bit better. some of the best money i've spent though.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 04:43 PM

I've been trying to get mine on for like months now! i got 2 of the 4 bolts loose, but started rounding the other two so i gave up. now i'm gonna go get those craftsman bolt out sockets and finish the job! OH yeah! did you guys have to buy a new belt? i heard old one might work and might not???
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 04:49 PM

u need to get a 96" 6 rib belt. Get gatorback, they're the best.... your stock belt is 98.5"
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 04:52 PM
PostWhore

Justin over at Velocity Mustang has found a waterpump pulley that he sells for $25 I believe that adds about 3 more HP to the ASP set. He claims that with this pulley, the set is worth 12 hp on the Dyno.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 05:38 PM

What about cooling problems?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 06:01 PM
PostWhore

XR7,
I never noticed any. We went through the driest hottest year here and I din't see anything. Even at 200 km/h (125 mph) for like a minute strait on the highway. I got a ticket for going 147 km/h as I was coasting back to the limit. LOL
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 09:32 PM

I just installed mine, crank only, and I've noticed it running a bit warmer, it might be because of the heavy traffic we've had today, not sure though.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 09:33 PM

oh yeah!! is it ok to have 3 bolts holding on the crank pulley? i impacted the other one in two <=)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in