Cold Engine/Tranny Problem - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Question Cold Engine/Tranny Problem

I'm not exactly sure what's going on here, but I have a problem when I first start the car up in the mornings before work or if it's been sitting overnight.

If I come to a full stop just after starting it up, I get no movement when I press the gas pedal. I have to rev it up a bit, then it will "catch" with the squeek of the wheels, and a jerk. After I get out on the road, it's fine with no problems at all. Even if I have it parked for a short period of time (say to go to the store or something) there's no problems.

It seems to be happening more often in the mornings, since it's starting to get cooler and more humid/foggy.

I was told it could be a sensor in my tranny, but I'm not sure, as I don't really know much about a vehicle's innards. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 03:32 PM

Check the transmission fluid level
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 01:44 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to white lincoln
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddude93LX
Check the transmission fluid level
...then get it changed and replaced with Mercon V instead of Mercon III. It will cost less than $150 to have a shop power flush the tranny and put new tranny fluid.

I can almost gaurnetee that if your tranny is slipping, then the oil is burnt and no good anymore. Take care of this ASAP before it turns into a $1200 tranny replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I'll get this looked at as soon as I can. I'm also having to deal with a truck with a most-likely tanked alternator, so as soon as I get my wife's truck moving again I'm going to get this dealt with.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 12:28 PM
PostWhore

im not sure if ur supposed to use Mercon V with an AOD trans. Alan or darrin should chime in here.

2007 White Ford Focus SE ZX3 Hatchback (The new driver)
1997 Alpine Green 4.6L Bird (SOLD!)

Mods:
Removed Air silencer, Clear Corners, Silverstar headlights and corner lights, Moroso Bluemax Spiral Core wires, Custom 3" Magnaflow exhaust with 2.5" Y-Pipe, 300-450 HP J-mod Kit by dirtyd0g , Hayden 30k GVWR Trans Cooler, Sport Front Suspension, 03-04 Cobra Rear Shocks, PBR Front Brake Swap, Xcal 2 by Lonnie @ Blueovalchips.com, 22C plugs, 180F T-stat, 02GT MAF/Airbox with K&N Drop in, Griffin Radiator, Cobra Water Pump
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 03:52 PM
PostWhore

Yes, it is a prefered replacement if you can afford it. Mercon V was designed to eliminate the slipping and shuddering of the AOD transmissions. Otherwise, use Merc III and some Lucas or LubeGard as an additive. Besides, he didn't say what tranny he has or what year his car was...
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 03:57 PM
PostWhore

it says in his info......

2007 White Ford Focus SE ZX3 Hatchback (The new driver)
1997 Alpine Green 4.6L Bird (SOLD!)

Mods:
Removed Air silencer, Clear Corners, Silverstar headlights and corner lights, Moroso Bluemax Spiral Core wires, Custom 3" Magnaflow exhaust with 2.5" Y-Pipe, 300-450 HP J-mod Kit by dirtyd0g , Hayden 30k GVWR Trans Cooler, Sport Front Suspension, 03-04 Cobra Rear Shocks, PBR Front Brake Swap, Xcal 2 by Lonnie @ Blueovalchips.com, 22C plugs, 180F T-stat, 02GT MAF/Airbox with K&N Drop in, Griffin Radiator, Cobra Water Pump
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 02:12 PM
PostWhore

I'll be damn'd! Thanks man.... I used it in my 89 Conti AOD and it didn't hurt it. Best to get some other advice on the matter just to make sure though. Never can tell. What I know and what is reality are two different things...
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

I was actually getting ready to ask that because I was reading in the tranny tech articles NOT to use the Mercon V in a 93 TBird. So... some Mercon III+LubeGard then? And can I just add a little to get me through before I get it in a shop?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 02:18 PM
PostWhore

I would just drop the Merc III in and see if you still have some problems. If you still experience some problems, add the LubrGard red.

Sorry about suggesting the Mercon V for a 93. I have a 95 Town Car and it works wonders for those trannies. Of course, they are the AODE trannies though.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

It's all good. I'm gonna at least check the fluid level this weekend (hard to with my wife driving it and we work opposing shifts) and plan accordingly.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Hmm... ok, I just got back from the car. Where is the tranny refill resevoir? I hate to sound ignorant, but along with all the other horrible things the previous owners did to this poor car, they apparently tossed the manual as well. I can't see anything that pops out as "Fill Trannies Here" under the hood. I see the power steering, oil (obviously), coolant, wiper fluid, and what I am guessing is the brake fluid (white resevoir near the back of the engine compartment, right?) but no place to fill the transmission.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Oh, ok... do I just pour it into that hole, or does it go in somewhere else?
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 09:30 AM
PostWhore

Yes! A funnel is critical otherwise it will go all over. I got one from AutoZone in Los Angeles on vacation to add some to my tranny. They are the long tunnel funnels with a small opening top so they fit behind the engine and down into the dipstick for the tranny.

So, was the tranny fluid low? Make sure to read the manual on how to check your tranny fluid. Usualy it has to be warm (after driving the car for at least 15 minutes), leave the engine running in park, shift through the gears once and back to park then check the dip stick.

Otherwise, you can get a service manual CD from www.fordcds.com and it will replace the owners manual you where SUPPOSED to get with the car. I feel your pain. When I got my Cougar, I had to go back to the dealer and make them give me, not only the manual, but a jack and lug wrench to boot! Terds.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Nope, no manual, but I did go through all the motions of shifting and such. The fluid was brown, but did not smell burnt. I had to use two funnels to get it in there, a small one to go into the tunnel and a larger one above it, as it was what I had on hand. Regardless, I did end up spilling a little so I do know what burnt, smoking tranny fluid smells like now.

I put a little in three different times, running the car in idle for about 5 minute between each fill. The dipstick says it's at least full or slightly overfull (you're right, those buggers are hard to read) so now all I have to do is take her out on the road and put it through the motions to see how she's going to deal with the new fluid.

Thanks for all the help, guys!!!
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Things seem ok so far, I took her out for a short drive down the main strip and back, and no worries. I'll have to see how she reacts on a cold morning, but I'm pretty hopeful right now.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 01:21 PM

If you do add an additive to your tranny fluid make sure you drain the same amount of fluid out of the tranny so you don't overfill it.

An overfilled tranny is as bad or worse for it than one with not enough fluid in it. You can drain the fluid out of your tranny cooler lines that connect into the rad on the right hand side. I think the top line is the feed out of the tranny into the rad.

You may want to install a tranny cooler in there too if you want your tranny to last longer.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 03:01 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnusia
The fluid was brown,
THat is not good. It should be a deep red, almost purple and will look maroon on the dip stick. If it realy is brown, its time. Since you don't know the last time it was changed, I would take it in ASAP and have that oil changed (or do it yourself on ramps). When I buy a used car, its the first thing I do is change the tranny fluid and all other fluids and filters. My 95 had a 111k on it when I had it worked on after I bought it. THe mechanic said the factory dip stick plastic plug they use at the factory was still in the tranny when he dropped the pan. That means the tranny fluid was never changed or at least the filter was never changed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in