missfire when engine cold - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

missfire when engine cold

Last spring my 3.8 N/A t-bird would'nt start. I changed the cap & rotor plugs and plug wires. It would start but it still ran a bit rough when it was cold. I then changed the fuel filter - made no difference.

I went fishing with my girlfriend parked the car and then when we were done, started the car and the revs went all the way up to 2500rpm. Changed the IAC and that fixed that trouble but still a running rough when cold.

Bought a code reader for the car and I was getting a code 332 - so I changed the DPFE sensor and that got rid of my code 332 but the car is still running rough or missfiring when cold.

Any other ideas what to test?

I was going to clean the MAF tommorow and check the fuel pressure. I'm going to pull all the spark plugs also and re-check them. I was also going to do a compression check on all the cylinders.

Can the coil packs on the these cars cause this? Should I be getting codes for the missfire?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 07:52 AM
6th Gear Poster

Have you checked the timming?

1993 LX 5.0
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Nope I bet thats what it is because I screwed with it not too long ago!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSGAuto
Have you checked the timming?

It was the timing!! Last time I timed it I did'nt remove that little spout connector... Duhh!!! Man it was so far advanced that it did'nt even show up on the timing marks on the crank. She sure had a lot of power though!! Crappy gas mileage though and the rough running while just cruising.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

I thought it was the timing but i thought wrong, shortly after putting that post up here I realized it was still missing...

So I went to a shop and asked what his thoughts were, he said that the trouble was the plug wires and to prove it he sprayed the plug wires with some water and boom the car started running like crap. The wires were only 5 months old!!!

I went out and bought some ford plug wires and it runs like a dream now. Brought the aftermarket crap back to Ideal supply and they refunded me 100% for them. The thing that sucks is that they are the same price.

Man those wires sure cost me a lot of headaches.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in