tell me about flycutting! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Smile tell me about flycutting!

oh PS if i do my HGs i'm gonna want to flycut the heads but i don't know much about this so if somone could fill me in (how much to cut, where to get it done, special procedures, prices, anyhitgn else) i'd appreciate it

have a good day,
James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

oh plus anything else that should be done at the same time
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 11:09 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nativedetroiter Send a message via MSN to Nativedetroiter Send a message via Yahoo to Nativedetroiter
Heck I can't even tell you about fly fishing... I would like to hear about this too!

Ya, its funny, Funny like a Clown.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 12:42 AM
Sheepish

Send a message via AIM to AverageJoe Send a message via Yahoo to AverageJoe
Flycutting notches the pistons for valve clearance in a high compression engine. Any automotive machine shop should be able to flycut a set of pistons. But when planning an engine, if you're going to be building a high compression motor, use clay on the piston crown or one of the cylinders and bolt a head on with an old gasket. Torque it down and slowly hand turn the motor, when you feel it lock up against the valve, turn it the other way so you can get a good reading on both intake and exhaust valves. You can do this yourself to determine how much clearance you need for your valves, or have the machine shop do it for you.

B Team - More skill, more results. A is only a starting point before progressing to B.

Member of the 'B-Team'. Finishing jobs the 'A-Team' can't handle.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 08:10 AM
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

Send a message via AIM to big mike
here's my 5.0 shortblock with flycut pistons. its also a good idea to get the pistons notched if you will be running a big duration cam.

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT

Last edited by big mike; 09-26-2006 at 08:16 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 09:17 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Flycutting is not specific to machining pistons....it's a machining process, using a certain type of tool. You can fly cut anything. If you read the original post, he's asking about cutting his heads, not his pistons.

As Mike said, valve reliefs in pistons have everything to do with piston to valve clearance due to agressive cam profiles and timing, decreased deck clearance, or even "pop-up" or domed pistons. Compression itself has nothing to do with it. Some of the things that people do to try to increase compression may result in decreased PTV clearance, such as a decked block, agressively machined heads to decrease combustion chamber volume, or dome pistons. But, you can run a long stroke motor that has 12.5:1 compression with flat top pistons and stock heads and not need valve reliefs in the pistons depending on your cam setup. Or, alternatively, you can run an engine with a low compression ratio, and require valve reliefs because of a very aggressive cam profile, or advanced cam timing.

Lazerviking - Just cut them enough to ensure flatness. Find a local speed shop. Or, some NAPAs have machine shops.

Mike

- DOHC 4.6
- 4.56 Trac-Loc
- DirtyDog Converter (3,800)
- SCT Micro Tuner from Blue Oval Chips
- 13.24 @ 103mph

ToombsRacing.com
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 09:57 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toombs
Flycutting is not specific to machining pistons....it's a machining process, using a certain type of tool. You can fly cut anything. If you read the original post, he's asking about cutting his heads, not his pistons.

As Mike said, valve reliefs in pistons have everything to do with piston to valve clearance due to aggressive cam profiles and timing, decreased deck clearance, or even "pop-up" or domed pistons. Compression itself has nothing to do with it. Some of the things that people do to try to increase compression may result in decreased PTV clearance, such as a decked block, aggressively machined heads to decrease combustion chamber volume, or dome pistons. But, you can run a long stroke motor that has 12.5:1 compression with flat top pistons and stock heads and not need valve reliefs in the pistons depending on your cam setup. Or, alternatively, you can run an engine with a low compression ratio, and require valve reliefs because of a very aggressive cam profile, or advanced cam timing.

Lazerviking - Just cut them enough to ensure flatness. Find a local speed shop. Or, some NAPAs have machine shops.

Mike

What I've heard as the “common terminology” used in the "automotive world"(whether correct or not )
"Fly Cutting": Usually refers to cutting pistons for valve clearance
"Milling": Usually refers to truing/removing material from the heads or block.

Remember, if working with 4.6L stuff that there is a specific RA requirement on the heads and block unless you are going to use the aftermarket head gaskets. So make sure the machine shop knows what you’re talking about.

Just my .02.

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in