TPS Install - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2006, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

TPS Install

My 1994 3.8 Cougar pops lightly sometimes when cranking to start and occasionally the service engine light comes on. It also feels like the shifting is a little rough, especially down shifting. It did this before and after the installation of new O2 sensors and MAF sensor, plugs, mpls , wires. It has 63,000 miles on it. The codes cant be pulled because the code scanner can't connect with the car when scan is done (3 different shops).

I would like to replace the Throttle position sensor as I feel this might be the culprit. When replacing the TPS, do I just unscrew the old when and pop the new one in or is it adjustable and has to be set with a volt meter? In the tech article on tPS adjustment it says " Set TPS to 0.98 volts, set initial timing to 14 degrees." I have a stock coil pack, not the distributor and no access to a volt meter, so i dont think I can set the timing or TPS. Can I replace the TPS simply by installing the new one? Is the TPS non adjustable or adjustable by rotating on the coil packed 94 cougar 3.8?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2006, 07:08 PM

Just take the new one outta the box and bolt it up.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue LS
Just take the new one outta the box and bolt it up.

There's no adjusting needed. Just bolt it up and go. The ECM will "learn" what the new sensor's closed voltage reads because when you start the car, the ECM will use the voltage it gets as a reference.

If your car doesn't have a distributor, you need not worry about adjusting any timing. You can't anyway without programming the computer.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks!!!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 05:58 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to thewishkah
there is an easy way to check the voltage on the tps, and you want it to be at.98 or as close as possible for the best"result" such as throttle response.

first: bolt up the new tps but keep it loose

second: use a volt meter and test the voltage by nickin the wire.

third:try moving it left and right and you will hear the idle drop or raise as the voltage will go up or down. This is also a good way to drop a high idle.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

I replaced the TPS today. I took out the throttle plate housing and hit the screws with an impact screw driver. Car runs real nice now. Shifts better but more importantly, no slight hesitation on acceleration. In the past i would step on the gas but would see very little or delayed acceleration. Accelerates as soon as i tap the gas and doesn't jump into overdrive on acceleration. Didnt show the typical signs of a bad TPS - tach was rock steady. New TPS was $33 at autozone. Thanks for all the feedback!!!!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 06:31 PM

Glad it worked out for ya!

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 12:35 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Great, thanks, so, I can just take off the old TPS and put on the new one, cool, I could use this info. I'll try it and see what happens. Mine slips a lot too, and is hesitant to shift, or shifts to overdrive while driving like, 30 or 40 miles per hour. Thanks~!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Hope it works for you. Also , you might want to follow the tech articles and posts here and pump the tranny fluid out the cooler line, drain the TC and replace the filter and replace old fluid with Mercon V and one bottle of this http://www.lubegard.com/automotive/trans_atf.html . I got clear hose at home depot and a small brass nipple with the same threads as the tranny cooler line flare nut to help pump the fluid out. You can also attach the fluid drain hose to a scavenged piece of scrap tranny line and flare nut.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 03:11 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Hmm, so pretty much change the tranny fluid when installing? Or does the TC have its own fluid and filter?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

You dont have to change the tranny fluid ,it has nothing to do with the tps. However, if you are having shifting problems and currently using the older Mercon III you will notice in improvement in your shifting etc. I just did both at about the same time and cannot believe the difference in performance, it is like a different car. TC=torque converter, it has its own drain plug.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 11:58 PM
2nd Gear Poster

I see, ok, thanks! I'll try that out!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in