Intermittent CEL, won't go away - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Intermittent CEL, won't go away

My CEL on my 95 3.8 LX comes on intermittently while driving, then goes back off. This has been happening for several years. At first, I got all kinds of crazy codes, so I replaced the MAF and the problem went away for about a year. Then it started happening again (the codes were all fuel trim related) so I replaced the oxygen sensors, and it happened less frequently. The codes I am currently getting are 172 and 181 (HEGOs stuck lean banks 1 and 2) and 176/189 (adaptive fuel limit rich reached banks 1 and 2). I don't think it is HEGOs since they are less than a year old and BOTH sides are showing the same problem. I have checked the MAF and TPS, both are good, and I have also cleaned the throttle body, decarboned the intake, and replaced the lower intake gaskets, no effect. Also good fuel pressure, newer fuel filter and no vacuum leaks. The car runs great, except for pretty poor gas mileage (15-20 vs upper 20's a few years ago). My 90 SC which I drive hard gets better mileage. I run premium gas and have tried several different brands. Any ideas? I can't think of anything else to check, every test procedure in the ford service manual for these codes has checked out ok, and I can't think of what else to look for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 10:15 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Stevinator
the poor gas mileage is because it's probably running in safe mode with those codes. are your injectors firing properly? im way to tired to look up those codes tonight, but i would try to track it down more, unless you like safe mode.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Cylinder balance tests ok. I don't think it is in safe mode, as all the cars I have diagnosed that wre in safe mode had a major malfunction (MAF, for example), codes out the wazoo, and ran like crap. Plus I've never seen a car go into safe mode off of fuel trim codes. I have followed the diag procedures per Mitchell On-Demand and the Ford service manual, and it checks out ok. I'm thinking it is something wierd tricking the computer, like a coolant temp sensor, but even that would trip a code if it was acting abnormally. Stupid OBDI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 07:19 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Stevinator
mine ran in safe mode when i was told by the computer it was running rich on one side, and lean on the other. thats why i suggested it. but who knows?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 06:32 PM

Hey there, I had a similar problem with a 172 code. I thought at first it might be a bad oxygen sensor but it checked out OK. The problem was a bad spark plug wire which I replaced and no more code 172.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

That sounds like just the wierd cause I am loking for. Did it miss with a bad plug wire? My wires aren't very old, but I have seen wires less than six months old arc so bad they looked like a fireworks show. Cheap wires, though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in