Head Gaskets - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Angry Head Gaskets

HI MY FRIENDS I HAVE A PROBLEM I HAVE A 94 COUGAR WIF A 3,8 MOTOR,MOTOR HAS 135K ON ITAND THE HEAD GASKETS BLEW.THE CAR IS MENT BODY\EXT, SHOUD I DO THE HEAD GASKETS OR REPLACE THE MOTOR? I BOUGHT THIS CAR FOR $500 ,HE WAS DRIVIN IT IN THE HIGHWAY,THE CAR OVERHEATED,HE PULLED OVER TO THE SIDE OF THE ROAD,THE CAR SHUT DOWN. HE THEN TOWED THE CAR TO HIS HOUSE WHERE I BOUGHT IT FROM HIM. SO WHAT SHOULD I DO? CHANGE THE MOTOR OR JUST DO THE HEAD GASKETS? LET ME KNOW THX TONY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 12:44 AM
Astrophysicist / PostWhore

Re: Head Gaskets

Quote:
Originally posted by HFD-E2
HI MY FRIENDS I HAVE A PROBLEM I HAVE A 94 COUGAR with A 3,8 MOTOR,MOTOR HAS 135K ON ITAND THE HEAD GASKETS BLEW.THE CAR IS mint BODY\EXT, SHOUD I DO THE HEAD GASKETS OR REPLACE THE MOTOR? I BOUGHT THIS CAR FOR $500 ,HE WAS DRIVIN IT IN THE HIGHWAY,THE CAR OVERHEATED,HE PULLED OVER TO THE SIDE OF THE ROAD,THE CAR SHUT DOWN. HE THEN TOWED THE CAR TO HIS HOUSE WHERE I BOUGHT IT FROM HIM. SO WHAT SHOULD I DO? CHANGE THE MOTOR OR JUST DO THE HEAD GASKETS? LET ME KNOW THX TONY.
welcome to TCCoA
first thing's first: turn off your caps lock.

second: that's pretty amazing for those head gaskets to survive that long and not blow. I had a 3.8L mercury sable and the head gaskets blew at around 70K miles.

the solution to your problem all depends on how handy you are. If you're doing the work yourself, it shouldnt cost too much. I did not do the work on the aforementioned Sable...the head gasket replacement cost me $1,600 for parts and labor...

The motor itself needs to be checked (head warpage, any possible internal damage caused by overheating?, etc.). I think the heads have to be milled for a head gasket replacement (at least, my old car's heads were milled).

get it checked out first. after you get a preliminary analysis of the viability of the motor, you can then chose your path and proced. However, if you can find a low mileage engine for cheap, you might as well go that route....just hope the gaskets hold up, or you might end up doing this again...

good luck!

Mike | RSW | THP | MF | SRTConnection |

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX V8 + 1992 Ford Mustang hatchback + 1989 Ford Mustang notchback = no where else to park at my house!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 12:57 AM

CAPS LOCK OFF FRIEND!

Money, your mechanical ability, and do you want to go fast. Three critical factors to figure out first.

I blew my head gaskets at around 100,000 miles, replaced them for $800 and now am at 170,000 miles. If you replace gaskets, be sure to use Fel-Pro.

Also, use the search button to the upper right and do a search on 3.8 headgaskets and you should get abundant info on the subject of headgaskets.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in