Shaking while turning at idle - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
Question Shaking while turning at idle

My 3.8 daily driver idles at about 700rpm and when I go to turn the car at idle it drops the idle down to about 450rpm and begins to run really rough and shake like its going to stall..... my guess is it needs a power steering fluid flush.... anyone else have any other idea what it could be?

Belt is new, tensioner is new, oil is new, oil filter is new, all vacume lines are new.

Could probably use a new fuel filter and spark plugs, but I'm sure you all know what a pain those plugs are to get to

Car has 98xxx-99,000 miles on it I forget the exact number, as I drive it daily.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 04:58 AM

Does your CEL come on at all? Have you checked your codes?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 05:12 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Does the car idle ok otherwise or only when you turn the wheel? I'm thinking that you might start with cleaning your IAC. While your at it, check the wires going to the IAC and make sure that they are not frayed or disconnected.

You can use a good quality carb cleaner to clean the IAC. If you're careful taking off the IAC, you can most likely re-use the gasket. While your at it, you might want to disconnect the air intake tube and clean in there too. Use a toothbrush on the throttle plate, but don't scrub the inside, just let the cleaner do it's job. There's some sort of finish on the inside of the plenum, and it's possible (but not likely) to damage that if you scrub that.

94 T-Bird LX
3.8 V6 - Bone Stock! (Bye darlin' I'll miss ya!)
93 Mercury Sable
03 Mercury Marauder
88 F-150 XLT Lariat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

No cels, but the light does work. Hooked a reader up to it and still no help, no codes what so ever. The car idles just fine otherwise, just when I turn the wheel AT IDLE, I can turn the wheel while driving with no problems, or even while the car is rolling it doesn't do it, its just when I got to turn the wheels at idle... like for example I was backing out of a parking spot and turned the wheels to get them straight before backing up and it started shaking like the power steering pump is sucking up lots of power from the engine.

I'm going to have the power steering fluid flushed on saturday I'm hoping thats what it is.... I really can't think of anything else it would be. IAC is clean and the wires are in good shape, if the flush doesn't help than I really wont worry about it too much, it hasn't stalled doing it yet, and the car is soon to become a weekend driver only in about 2 weeks because than my 4.6's will be finished. I'll give it all the love its been craving and do a complete 100,000 mile tune because I wont have to rely on it as a daily driver anymore and will be able to have it out of commission for a few days, right now thats not an option.

The main reason I seriously doubt its IAC or MAF or intake related is because this car has a lot more pick up and response than any other 3.8 bird I've driven and it idles and drives fine, its just when I turn at idle....

oh also this just hit me.... it only does it when its cold.... like if I just started the car and went to turn the wheels.... it doesn't do it if I drove to work and let it idle and turn the wheels than, or when I drive home from work and try it in my drive way... it works just fine than, no shakes, no drop in idle.

I appriate the fast feed back from you guys. This site has been such a huge source of information.

227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 11:42 PM

When the car is stopped, it takes maximum effort from the power steering pump to turn the wheels. When your rolling at any speed, already the pump has less work to do since the wheels aren't firmly planted in one spot. The fact that you say it does it when it's cold leads me to think 2 things.

1) How cold is cold? When the fluid is cold, it is thicker and therefore the pump has to work really hard to pump the fluid through the system. Flushing the fluid may help you out here, but if it's original I would just do it anyway as the fluid you have is most certainly worn.
2) If the pump is weak, you'll have this problem too.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

So I had some down time today and had the fluid flushed.... didn't help... so I replaced the pump.... ugh!! what a pain... anyway problem solved, no more shaking, runs smoooooth. Thanks for the help everyone. Just wanted to let you all know that this problem has been resolved.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 07:39 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Stevinator
how did you like that bolt thats right behind the pulley? fun wasn't it??!!!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

oh yea! Lots and lots of fun! lol that sob fought me tooth and nail

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 09:36 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Stevinator
yeah, i didn't put it back in when i did my motor mounts. it seems like a pretty useless bolt, others have left it off too.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

seems to me like theres a few bolts a bunch of people leave out for convenience

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 11:53 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Mines dopes the same thing. I guess I know what I need to do now. Thanks!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 02:38 PM
leet sauce

mine does same thing
only when AC is turned ON
it jumps up to around 700-750 and goes down to 450-500
but mine doesnt shake

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in