hmm whers the oil dipstick? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to thewishkah
hmm whers the oil dipstick?

Ok guys well I am at a loss and am kind of embarrased to ask this but I can not find my oil dipsitck on my 3.8 cougar. I found the trans dipstick in the back near the fire wall on the passanger side but I have looked pretty hard to see if I can find it and no luck. I know this is such a newb question lol but I just am having no luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 03:20 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Drivers side between the valve cover and the shock tower.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

ok well is it possible that mine is missing? lol cause its not there , this cant be good. atleast im not blind or stupid I was strarting to doubt myself here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 03:57 PM

Well, there should at least be the tube there. Look for a black tube coming up from the bottom of the engine. If your dipstick is missing...who would be so cruel? The dipstick clearly says (or it should if not faded/damaged) "Engine Oil".

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

lol nope nothingggggg. only thing that says engine oil is the cap on the valve cover lol. my oil pressure is always on the high side could the hole be pluged?? I do have a really minor oil leak that I cant trace maybe this is the culprit. In that pic it looks like its bolted to the front of the manifold? I have a bolt hole and the metal is bare(no black paint).
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

ok well I feel like the worlds largets moron right now!!! I found it , the speaker for my alarm was leaning over it so it was actually inside the top of the siren lol. ok now everyone point and laugh
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 11:00 PM
Texas Chapter Director

Send a message via AIM to speed95 Send a message via Yahoo to speed95
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewishkah
ok well I feel like the worlds largets moron right now!!! I found it , the speaker for my alarm was leaning over it so it was actually inside the top of the siren lol. ok now everyone point and laugh

I was going to ask that since mine is the same way but figured mine was the only one like that.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 11:14 PM
Hittin' Switches

Send a message via AIM to musto
haha....ive done worse.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 07:10 AM

yeah don't feel like a moron I've done things just like that just so your not the only one to feel like a moron. after I installed my engine we went to crank it and nothing. we spent 3 hours trying to diagnose the problem. After 3 hours I put my hand on the main connector on the driverside firewall, I didn't plug it in all the way! DOH
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

lol thanks guys i don't feel so bad now.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 07:51 AM
Street Freekz

Send a message via MSN to 96_Cougar Send a message via Yahoo to 96_Cougar
Haha....I've done something close to the same thing on my buddy's '94 Bird.

In Memory of FD 420

"This will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave" ~ Elmer Davis, American news commentator (1890-1958). God bless all veterans: past & present.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 07:19 PM
2nd Gear Poster

my dipstick is really lose and if your not careful pulling out the dipstick, the tube tries to pull out of the hole its in...lol
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 10:23 AM
5th Gear Poster

When I had my 93 mustang I did a motor swap in it and i tried cranking it and went throgh all the wiring for about a week then i realized I didnt hook up the battery in the trunk....Thats something to point and laugh at. lol
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 11:06 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman232
When I had my 93 mustang I did a motor swap in it and i tried cranking it and went throgh all the wiring for about a week then i realized I didnt hook up the battery in the trunk....Thats something to point and laugh at. lol

haha thats quite funny...when my uncle did the headgaskets on my SC, he was smoking a bunch of weed when he was doing it, and he put the motor together with out the push rods and rocker arms, and couldn't figure out why the car wouldn't start for a couple of days LOL...i'll never let him live it down...and the moral of this story is, thats why i dont smoke, lol
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 11:44 AM

Well since we're sharing stories here, I worked on a Chevy Camaro and to get to the distributor bolt, I found it easier to disconnect the coil as well as the fuel injector connectors (since stupid GM has it at the back of the engine). Anyways, I loosen the bolt, plug everything in, set the timing, unplug the things and tighten the bolt, then put it all back together. I take it for a test drive and it had NO power!! I'm like "WTF?!?". I start tracing out the plugs/wires, do all this diagnostic crap only to find that I forgot to plug back in the fuel injectors.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 03:18 PM

you dumbarse noob!

j/j, ive done that or worse..
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 10:36 PM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via MSN to Kelsey Smith
I'll throw out my screw-up story.

Was doing some stereo work on mine, got a diffrent amp for the sub. After myself and my dad had hooked up all the wires, and went to test it, all the sub would do was one good hit, then it fell off to virtually nothing. 'Bout 20 mins later, I remark "I wonder, it is possiable to blow a fuse part way?" his responce was that it wasn't likely. We even pulled the fuse and visually checked it, and it looked fine. 3 hours later, we had thought we diagnosed the head unit was shot. I finally made the comment. "Well, just for grins and giggles, lets change that fuse" We swapped it for a brand new one, and boom, the sub worked. As it came to be, the new amp was less powerful than the old one. So three hours of a frustrating search for either a defective wire, or broken part, and all it was was a blown fuse. We both felt like idiots, cursed that cheap fuse, put the old amp back in, and turned in for the night.

Morale of the story: Always, ALWAYS check the fuse, and a visual examination won't cut it

"WHAT CONE?!?!

1997 T-Bird Sport, 'Interceptor' (12 ESP 2008-2012)- CAI, 2.25 duals, Flowmaster 40 series, Clear corners, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, TrickFlow upper intake, PI Intake, BBK adjustable fuel pressure regulator, LE stripes, Bullitt-style gauge faces. 18x9 wheels, Sniper tuned, 3,620 pounds

1991 Ford F250 - Air restrictor delete. Cat delete.

1991 T-Bird 'Interceptor II' (12 CP 2013-) - Race-prep, Full custom "interior", Carb'd 302, Trick Flow twisted wedge heads, stage 1 cam, Custom Koni coil-overs front, Koni yellows rear, Cobra front brakes, fuel cell, 18X9 wheels, 275/30 Hoosier A6, 4.11 T-Lok. 3000 pounds

2004 Toyota Solara SE - V6, Sport package, Muffler delete, 17X7 wheels, 235/50 Conti ExtremeContact DWS
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 10:23 AM
Baby Huey

I am perfect and never once have screwed anything up, you all are stupid.

Just kidding I screw **** up all the time

Jim

1995 Thunderbird LX: Vortech S-Trim(12psi), Forged PI 4.6, T-45, SCT Tune, Eibach Pro-kit, Magnaflow DI/DO Exhaust, 3.73 TL, and 17" Cobras

1995 Thunderbird SC: Bone Stock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in