Parts needed for headgasket replacement? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to AbSeNtEE
Parts needed for headgasket replacement?

What parts exactly are needed for a head gasket replacement on a '91 SC
I'm looking to buy one that just needs some new head gaskets.

Obviously the head gaskets, but anything else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 12:36 AM
6th Gear Poster

as for parts? well most of the time you cant really tell until you get inside of there. IF I were you, I would replace the lifters atleast. But also make sure to get the heads pressure checked for cracks in them. Also I would rebuild the heads completely, and have the valve stem seals replaced too. It cost me a total of around $250 for my headwork complete and everthing. But most of the time, you cant really tell till you get inside. Good luck on this, as it is a fun and learning project

~X=Remember, every problem is a blessing in disguise=X~

96 3.8 NA, 180* T-Stat, PnP Upper and Lower intake, Air Silencer Removed 9" K&N added to fender well, Mild J-modded transmission, 24K B&M Supercooler, 2.25" dual Magnaflow high-flow cats w/2.25" di/do Magnaflow, JVC El-Kameleon LX-30.

RIP Orion 800.4 amp, and Ascendant Audio 12" sub. Caught on fire in trunk...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 11:39 AM
3rd Gear Poster

I would look at getting a complete head set. This kit will include all the gaskets that you need to do the top end. I would also look at getting a new set of head bolts, as these should be replaced any time the heads come off. If you are looking at adding some significant horsepower, I would invest in some ARP bolts, but the stockers will work just fine if the engine is going to remain stock.

Ron

...Semper Fidelis...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 01:01 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to thewishkah
I thought the only difference in the bolts is the stock ones are only usable once as they stretch one they are torqued and the arp or whatever brand are reusuable. I may be wrong on this though.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 02:09 PM
Pedal Faster

Send a message via AIM to Josh_Keady
This might be overkill, but I'd say do the oil pump, too, if you think you ended up with a lot of coolant in the oil pan. Not only do you have a lot of average lifetime wear on the oil pump, but you've now circulated coolant through the pump and motor, and probably also taken a lot of life off of the main and cam bearings. So it seems like a good idea to maximize the capability of your oiling system.

Josh Keady

1994 Super Coupe ('93 5.0L swap), 1990 Tbird 3.8L, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1972 F-100 SportCustom 4x4, 1970 Chevy Custom Camper / 20
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewishkah
I thought the only difference in the bolts is the stock ones are only usable once as they stretch one they are torqued and the arp or whatever brand are reusuable. I may be wrong on this though.
All stock replacement bolts strech as far as I know. The difference with the ARP ones though is not just that they are reusable. They provide strong and steady force on the head and can take massive amounts of abuse, and it's really important to have good head bolts when making lots of horsepower.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 03:27 AM
6th Gear Poster

Also possibly a water pump/radiator replacement. One of those could've caused the HG to blow (I know, its the poor design) but while you're down there, you might look into replacing the waterpump.

~X=Remember, every problem is a blessing in disguise=X~

96 3.8 NA, 180* T-Stat, PnP Upper and Lower intake, Air Silencer Removed 9" K&N added to fender well, Mild J-modded transmission, 24K B&M Supercooler, 2.25" dual Magnaflow high-flow cats w/2.25" di/do Magnaflow, JVC El-Kameleon LX-30.

RIP Orion 800.4 amp, and Ascendant Audio 12" sub. Caught on fire in trunk...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to AbSeNtEE
ah well, nevermind, someone scooped up the car before I could get ahold of the owner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in